Author Topic: A Robinson from rejects.  (Read 72006 times)

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
Re: A Robinson from rejects.
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2017, 03:20:44 PM »
Hi Jo.

The system worked then?

You must let me know what you think of the drawings?

Cheers Graham.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2017, 04:09:16 PM »
The drawings look like they have been stored in the same place as your castings  ::) I won't be studying them in any depth until I go back into the office and they make friends with the scanner  ;)

Surus tells me he is hoping to swop his latest 4 castings for a set of Ploughing engine cylinder castings tomorrow  :noidea:

Jo
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 04:18:41 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2017, 04:19:51 PM »
Is that your BB1 cylinder that did not come back with the OL ones?

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2017, 04:44:55 PM »
 :ShakeHead: I have that.

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2017, 05:05:49 PM »
I thought it did not come back with the first lot of castings, maybe you got it with the recast cylinders

So what you going to do with another one?

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2017, 02:07:50 PM »
So what you going to do with another one?

:headscratch: Its a casting. What do I normally do with castings  :naughty:

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2017, 02:22:00 PM »
That top cover looks a bit angular for a Fowler and it has round bosses for the regulator not oval, you have also hidden the side of the cylinder that may have the valve rod gland bosses and all in nasty gum metal :(

Back to the main subject matter, this one popped up on Youtube, it has a handy extra part that you may want to add to your Robinson :ThumbsUp:

[youtube1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qTcZoLuVmc[/youtube1]

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2017, 06:41:08 PM »
Now, now Jason....

However, my Robinson is the only one that ever bit me hard.... my fault really as one should never, ever clean an engine whilst it’s running. Took the end of my forefinger clean off without a miss!

Actually most Robinson related maiming has been caused by getting ones thumb caught between the flywheel rim and top of the water base.... whilst starting.

The crank guard, a heavy casting was only fitted, at least as far as I’m aware to the suffix “ P “ engines. P being a Petrol version that used Magneto ignition, the Magneto sitting above the crankshaft.

The engine in the video belongs to Geoff the curator of the Anson Engine museum.

Cheers Graham.

Offline RayW

« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2017, 10:05:30 AM »
Well, it just had to happen. Following my visit to the Anson Museum and meeting with Graham, I have now joined the "Robinson from Rejects" gang!
I have already been following this thread with interest and will be adding my own contribution as my build progresses.
Looking forward to seeing Jo's drawings once they are finished.
Ray

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2017, 11:53:58 AM »
Hi Ray.

Welcome aboard.

I too am eagerly waiting to see the new, improved drawings, since the originals have been misplaced. :-[

I must get back into the workshop and finish the epicyclic gearbox, just the commercially made gear to modify and fit, left to do.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Ian j

« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2017, 06:46:24 PM »
Hi everybody.
On one of my visits to the Anson Engine Museum they had the Robinson Engine in Jason’s video running & I was really taken by it (maybe because it was related to chip shops! ) It soon became obvious the castings were no longer available but on studying the examples at the museum & the plans I thought it was possible to fabricate the engine from bar stock, but the stumbling block would be the internal gear for the gear box.
I made contact with Graham via this web site who said the gears were cast in house & he was prepared to cast one for me & would be at the Anson Museum at the end of October, so I made a start .
  The engine bed is fabricated from Aluminium plate, the two side’s milled to shape & then using 6BA screws & JB weld assembled to the internal stretchers, back & bottom. The crank shaft runs in bronze bearings. While I was building this Graham contacted me to say he had a number of “ reject " castings and would bring them along to the museum. This made me re think my build but I decided to carry on with mine using the casting for the basic details & then build a second engine from the castings.
 The cylinder is milled/turned/bored from a block of HE30 aluminium still to do the piston and liner. Graham you say to use Araldite or Loctite 638 to secure the liner   would JB weld original be suitable as I find Loctite is a bit to fast for me!
 That’s it for now, a big thank you to you Graham for the gears and castings.

Ian
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:54:02 PM by Ian j »

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2017, 07:49:46 PM »
You're off to a cracking start.

I think it would be a bit harder to ensure an even thin coat of JBWeld to get a good seal around the liner, the good thing with Loctite is that it will wick around the joint and completely fill it. If you don't make the liner too tight then you will have a bit more working time before it goes off, I tend to use 648 myself.

Offline Ian j

« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2017, 08:36:21 PM »
Thanks for that advice Jason.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2017, 06:05:25 PM »
I finally got my grubby little mitts on a reject cylinder casting so thought I had better see what was hiding beneath the "patina". All I can say is if this was  a reject then the ones that went out to customers must have been very good.

J

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2017, 06:10:21 PM »
I thought you already had three other engines on the go yesterday....  :noidea:

I see you like Graham's brown protective "red oxide" coating so much you have decided to keep it :naughty:

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal