Author Topic: A Robinson from rejects.  (Read 73182 times)

Offline RayW

Re: A Robinson from rejects.
« Reply #375 on: May 25, 2018, 09:32:55 PM »
Getting close now Jason. What regulator are you using on your gas bottle? I have a 4 bar one turned up full and my tube gets nice and orange after a few minutes. Did you put the cotton wool filter back in the burner? If so, I wonder if that is blocking the flow slightly. I must admit that I haven't put mine back in.

Ray
Ray

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #376 on: May 26, 2018, 06:59:21 AM »
I bought a neck tube so that I could fit the burner to my torch which has the 4bar reg and could not get any more heat out of it than when using a 2bar reg.  Catalogue does say 2bar is the max it needs and adjusting the 4bar down showed no change in the flame. Did not put the fluff back in.

Offline Ian j

« Reply #377 on: May 26, 2018, 07:42:07 AM »
They certainly test ones patience in trying to get them to run for the first time :)Could your jet be partially blocked? It's happened on mine a couple of times where the flame looks ok but blowing compressed air through the jet vastly improved it. Keep at it!
Ian

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #378 on: May 26, 2018, 07:46:07 AM »
This is not sounding good  :(

I might have to put my X Type on the back burner for a while: Maybe it should go in the expect problems... don't do this engine until retired pile  :noidea:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #379 on: May 26, 2018, 07:47:46 AM »
Better hurry up and retire as you seem to be adding more engines into this pile recently :mischief:

How is that RLE comming along?

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #380 on: May 26, 2018, 07:55:05 AM »
Better hurry up and retire as you seem to be adding more engines into this pile recently :mischief:

I'm working on it, I'm working on it  ::)

How is that RLE comming along?

Its on the list for this week's holiday and the weather looks promising for some workshop time  :) But I might have a visit to go and see another set of castings as well  :mischief:

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #381 on: May 26, 2018, 08:58:51 AM »
Good news Jo, there is no need to retire quite so soon, looks like another reject has been brought to life (still needs a little help from another torch)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfR1hkKSYRc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfR1hkKSYRc</a>

Offline Ian j

« Reply #382 on: May 26, 2018, 09:03:45 AM »
Excellent . That's running really nice and smooth.

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #383 on: May 26, 2018, 11:09:43 AM »
Good morning Jason.

That's almost " textbook " running!! Well done.

Something I'd forgotten to mention to you all about the ignition tube....

You can always machine the outside diameter of it a little, if done to drawing you've got 1/16" of metal wall thickness. By reducing the wall the heat that's available has less distance to travel.

The downside is that they become more difficult to run in outdoor conditions but will fire up much quicker from initial lighting.

Cheers Graham.

Offline RayW

« Reply #384 on: May 26, 2018, 12:13:25 PM »
Well done Jason. Running really nicely. Welcome to the "Running rejects club". Perhaps Graham should come up with a special lapel badge for us all!
My engine is now painted and in the process of being reassembled today, but Monaco Grand Prix practice and qualifying has temporarily halted work.
Ray
Ray

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #385 on: May 26, 2018, 01:29:08 PM »
Thanks for the tip Graham, I had thought of drilling it out a little but you mentioned that doing so would affect ignition timing and did not think of taking a bit off the outside, may give that a try as the thinner metal should heat up more easily.

Ian, I'm happy with the speed it was running at and it did not seem to want to jump about although it was clamped down, quite a nice sound too.

Now Graham what's happened to your reject? that should be finished by now as you started before all of us :LittleDevil:

Ray it's going to be a toss up between the GP and the last mountain stage of the Giro, though I think all the cycling action took place yesterday and I did not get any work done!

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #386 on: May 26, 2018, 03:37:24 PM »
Hi Jason.

Well....

The simple answer is that you got the last bits of rejected castings, I don't even have a flywheel!!

The situation is being corrected as there are some being run at the new foundry, along with a small batch of Hot air, Allman, CHUK 2 and Sphinx.

For me personally I've had much pleasure from following the various builds and ultimate successes from you, I thank you all.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #387 on: May 26, 2018, 05:08:03 PM »
Nice job old boy. And to think you did it with that Chineeseum equipment is really remarkable  8). Seriously,  :ThumbsUp: and a  :cheers:

Cletus

Offline RayW

« Reply #388 on: May 26, 2018, 05:59:19 PM »
Engine finally finished, apart from a base and a couple of greasers to replace the main bearing oil cups. Had a slight moment of panic when I reassembled everything as there was no compression and I could hear air leaking. Discovered the leak was through the inlet valve, which I removed, cleaned everything up and re-assembled, resulting in good compression once again.
I am not going to try and start it again yet until the base is done, which will not be until I return from hols at the beginning of July. Until then, I will be touring round Germany and France with my wife in our motorhome and sampling the products of the vineyards in the Mosel and Rhine valleys!

Ray

Ray

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #389 on: May 26, 2018, 06:07:38 PM »
Beautiful Ray, just beautiful!

I think your trip to the vineyards of Europe is well deserved.

Have a couple for me, Red of course, whilst you're there.

Cheers Graham.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal