Author Topic: A Robinson from rejects.  (Read 74003 times)

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
Re: A Robinson from rejects.
« Reply #360 on: May 15, 2018, 11:18:17 AM »
Well done Ray.

Old " H R " would be proud!!

They are a feisty engine, a substantial base is important to stop them leaping about everywhere.

I'm looking forward to seeing it when all painted and its makers plate fitted.

In watching your video I'm beginning to wonder how much the " HA " will leap with another 1/4" of cylinder diameter added?

Cheers Graham.

Offline RayW

« Reply #361 on: May 15, 2018, 11:49:38 AM »
Thanks Graham, Jo and Roger.
The engine was actually running pretty smoothly, but the Workmate bench it was on was not standing very steadily, hence the jumping about.
I definitely need to make a more substantial base, but need to watch the weight otherwise it will be too heavy for me to lift and carry. Have already had two major back surgeries and don't want any more thank you!
Next job is to make a silencer, then a full strip down and paint. I have seen engines with the circular "flying saucer" type silencer, but does anyone know if that is the correct type?

Ray
Ray

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #362 on: May 15, 2018, 12:16:44 PM »
Hi Ray.

I'm totally with you on the " back " issue!

Regarding the/a silencer, simple fact they never had one! Most of the full size engines I've seen over the years had a short bent piece of Iron pipe with the open end having a Brass ferrule attached. A Rubber hose was pushed over the ferrule and the other end stuck out of the window.

I remember one of my visiting customers telling me of how his father had two Robinson's running equipment in the basement. He, as a child was quite scared because the " gas bags " that were just simply two ended White Rubber bladders looked like they where breathing. It was this " breathing " aspect that frightened him. He bought a kit to remember his childhood.

A nice touch would be an exhaust " bottle " like those fitted to industrial engines, Jason will smile as one of my favourite " tins " was the little Goblin Steak pudding tin, used, turned upside down and made into a silencer. Sadly they no longer come in metal cans.

Sorry, yet another trip down memory lane....

Cheers Graham.

Offline Ian j

« Reply #363 on: May 15, 2018, 01:14:30 PM »
Excellent Ray. You can't help smiling when you see it starting and running.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #364 on: May 15, 2018, 01:37:08 PM »
looks like a good un Ray, guess I will have to try and get mine running now :-[

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #365 on: May 15, 2018, 01:40:57 PM »
Congrats Ray!
She looks and sounds great!

Dave

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #366 on: May 15, 2018, 07:51:18 PM »
Hi Ray, congrats for this runner.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline RayW

« Reply #367 on: May 17, 2018, 03:39:50 PM »
Thank you all for your kind words. Ran the engine again today and it started really easily and ran even more smoothly and evenly than the first time.
I am now looking ahead to the strip down and painting and debating what colour to do it. I believe that there was a mention of "Manchester Red" earlier in the thread, but does anyone know if that was the correct colour of the original engines?
One small change that I am considering making is to substitute screw down greasers for the main bearing oil cups, as I am finding that oil from the flywheel side bearing is working its way up the spokes and rim of the flywheel, making quite a mess.

Ray
Ray

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #368 on: May 17, 2018, 06:34:22 PM »
Hi Ray.

It seems the beast is getting tamer!

Post number 5 of this thread ( page 1 ) shows the donor engine for the scale model painted in Manchester Red.

At the end of the day though, the choice of colour is really yours. Having seen the pictures of yours in that light Brown primer it sort of makes the engine look less heavy don't you think?

Regarding the lubrication well, they were always messy !

Cheers Graham.

Offline RayW

« Reply #369 on: May 17, 2018, 07:00:23 PM »
Hi Graham,
I rather like the Manchester Red so will probably go with that or something similar, and with the flywheel in the same colour. That should make it look a bit lighter. Most of the reds I have been looking at require a red undercoat, so I will spray everything including the flywheel with a coat of red oxide before topcoating.

Ray
Ray

Offline RayW

« Reply #370 on: May 18, 2018, 05:02:26 PM »
Beautifully warm and dry today, with almost no breeze. Just right for painting a Robinson. Got several coats of high build primer on, followed by a couple of coats of red oxide primer, which will act as an undercoat for the Manchester Red paint that I have on order. Left everything in the sun for several hours to harden off nicely
I have deliberately not tried to achieve a smooth surface (other than on the flywheel) as I like to see the natural texture of the castings. All I have done to prepare for painting is to lightly grind down any really rough projections and fill any major defects.

Ray
Ray

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #371 on: May 19, 2018, 11:50:41 AM »
Blimey Ray.

This forum moves fast on occasions, I missed this one!

The paint job looks good and I for one am happy to read that you like to see the " rough " through the paint.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she'll run again afterwards!!   :)

Cheers Graham.

Offline RayW

« Reply #372 on: May 22, 2018, 09:15:06 AM »
You and me both Graham! A friend of mine always used to say "paint it and it will never go again".

Having got the first coat of paint on the engine, it has suddenly dawned on me that there is no provision for draining the hopper. I have looked at lots of photos on the internet and, even on the full size engines, I can't see any evidence of a drain cock.
At least our engines are small enough to turn upside down, but how were the full sized ones drained? Bearing in mind that they would usually have been in fixed installations, there must, surely, have been a drain cock somewhere.

Ray
Ray

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #373 on: May 22, 2018, 11:11:25 AM »
Good morning Ray.

I've looked at many Robinson's over the years, never seen one with a tap or plug for draining.

Perhaps it was deemed unnecessary by the makers due to the environment these little work horses were placed in.

Being so compact my own engine is fixed to a fairly small wooden base that can be tipped over to drain the tank. That base was made 18 years ago and supported 103 at the Millennium N.A.M.E.S. show in the USA.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #374 on: May 25, 2018, 08:42:46 PM »
It's almost alive. :)

I can get it to fire 8-10times before it dies but that is a lot better than I was getting before.

Fitted a No3 jet just before the valve which has a 0.15mm hole so quite a bit smaller than teh 0.3mm I had drilled.

Changed one of the CI rings to Vitron

Did the blue flame test on the exhaust and only need the slightest crack to open teh valve

Still not getting a very hot tube so was holding another small torch to it as well held in one hand while flicking the flywheel with the other.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal