Author Topic: A Robinson from rejects.  (Read 73336 times)

Offline Ian j

Re: A Robinson from rejects.
« Reply #300 on: March 27, 2018, 01:43:24 PM »
Ray.That looks a nice size valve, where have you and Jason found those? Think I need to change mine.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:26:26 PM by Ian j »

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #301 on: March 27, 2018, 01:54:15 PM »
I'm not totally happy with mine as it only needs the wheel turning about 2 degrees to go from no gas flow to a flame thrower when I try it without the valve in place so getting that 1" flame that Graham says we need is not easy. This was the one I got.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EV-18-1-8-BSP-FEM-BRASS-NEEDLE-VALVE-Airpro-Aignep-Valves/222147351429?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I did not get much time in the workshop at the weekend so only managed to get a few pops out of it.

Out of interest graham and Ian how hot does your hot-tube get? should it be red hot as mine is not getting that hot and the pops were with an additional small blow torch.

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #302 on: March 27, 2018, 01:56:11 PM »
Hello All.

I used to use Wade 3/16" needle valves, the 3/16" designated the pipe diameter, they had 1/8" BSP Male threads.

I've just looked on eBay, my goodness how prices have risen over the years! I can see the valves that both Jason and Ray have found were a lot cheaper.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #303 on: March 27, 2018, 02:04:34 PM »
Hi Jason.

I see our posts crossed.

What you're looking for is an Orange spot on the tube where the hottest part of the pencil point burner wraps its flame around.

I does read like the needle valve isn't very finely adjustable, you might need to further restrict that neatly made restrictor ?

Cheers Graham.

Offline Ian j

« Reply #304 on: March 27, 2018, 02:28:35 PM »
"Out of interest graham and Ian how hot does your hot-tube get? should it be red hot as mine is not getting that hot and the pops were with an additional small blow torch."

This was the problem I had until I discovered my gas bottle was fitted with a low pressure regulator. Once a HP regulator was fitted the burner is a lot louder , similar to the sound in Graham's video .

I've spent hours on the internet looking for suitable valves. I found "Wade Comp. Mini Needle Valves - 3/16" Stainless Steel Spindle (Part No. WVA1/SS/12)" for £16 which seemed ok until you have to have £12 next day delivery + VAT=£34.38. What I need is a local plumbers merchant selling them at £16.Will carry on searching and let you know.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 05:34:46 PM by Ian j »

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #305 on: March 27, 2018, 03:13:54 PM »
Hello All.

Maybe this will help?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9-Z0ITmzZ0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9-Z0ITmzZ0</a>

Cheers Graham.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #306 on: March 27, 2018, 03:44:22 PM »
Thanks for that Graham way hotter than I am getting as I don't even get an oragge glow let alone the hot spot. The Regulator is a 0-2 bar one turned right up though it was on my old bullfinch torch which seemed to have lost power over the years so maybe it is not letting through as much gas as it should.

I did find the wade valves but as they were about double I went with the cheaper option. This is the "needle" which looks to be more suited to knitting baggy jumpers than what I would have expected for fine adjustment :headscratch:.

Offline RayW

« Reply #307 on: March 27, 2018, 03:58:28 PM »
Ian,

If you search for item number 262483692006 on ebay, you will find my valve. I haven't taken mine apart yet so don't know if the needle is the same as Jasons.

Ray
Ray

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #308 on: March 27, 2018, 04:16:03 PM »
Hi Jason.

Yes indeed, more like a " Bodkin " than a sewing needle!!

If memory serves the burners we're using were known as the Primus 2000 range. Designed to run via a valve and stem directly off the bottle. They were favoured by Plumbers as the bottle was very easy to handle and use.

Your 2 Bar equates to approximately to 30 PSI  way short of the near 100 PSI that can be got from an unregulated bottle. I've never actually measured the pressure I'm using but I'm probably up at 50 PSI.

Cheers Graham.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #309 on: March 27, 2018, 04:28:19 PM »
With a different neck tube that burner will run of my Sievert torch. I have that torch on a 4 bar regulator so may try that but will need to make an adapter.

The can regulator that I used for the Chuky burner gave a very fine adjustment so might try that to feed the engine and the 4 bar reg on the hot tube.

I've also got some nice fine regulators that I have on a manifold to run the steam engines on air which would be another option.

Just looked at the Sievert catalogue on line, on page 16 they show the burner and the central blue cone is about twice the length I was getting so definately something not right.

http://www.sievert.se/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Sievert-Catalogue-UK-2016_web.pdf

Offline Ian j

« Reply #310 on: March 27, 2018, 04:59:56 PM »
My newly fitted HP regulator is 0-4 Bar turned right up .

Offline RayW

« Reply #311 on: March 29, 2018, 08:24:06 PM »
Something really odd is going on with these burners. I had a look at mine today and lo and behold, the back end contained this plug of cotton wool type material exactly the same as Jasons. I am wondering now whether this is there deliberately as a sort of filter to stop any small particles from blocking the jet?
I will e-mail Sievert to see what they say.

Ray
Ray

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #312 on: March 29, 2018, 08:36:41 PM »
Hi Ray.

Very odd indeed!

Perhaps Sievert have actually done something to try and prevent those " heavy ends " from blocking the very tiny orifice.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Ian j

« Reply #313 on: March 29, 2018, 08:45:02 PM »
Will be interesting to see what Sievert say.

Offline RayW

« Reply #314 on: March 29, 2018, 08:46:30 PM »
I have e-mailed them but they are closed until after Easter now. Will report back on their response.

Ray
Ray

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal