Author Topic: Hey Steamer, Cletus did a bad thing too  (Read 7909 times)

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
Re: Hey Steamer, Cletus did a bad thing too
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2017, 03:00:29 AM »
Accoroding to the vidiothe refurbished ones go for about 100K, so you might be nearer double that for a new one, especially if its for the government, well they have plenty of (your)money. :ROFL:
Ian S C

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2017, 09:54:22 AM »
Accoroding to the vidiothe refurbished ones go for about 100K, so you might be nearer double that for a new one, especially if its for the government, well they have plenty of (your)money. :ROFL:
Ian S C

No doubt.....but if they're buying these for our men and women in uniform, they're spending it right.     The 10EE is an awesome machine.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PLRTIJjWYM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PLRTIJjWYM</a>
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 10:07:49 AM by steamer »
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2017, 11:51:42 AM »
With the price of parts and then add the labor, I bet a factory rebuild would be pretty darn close to that number. Now y'all are going to have to explain more on the phase converter. The rotary phase converter that powers my Bridgeport clone says "good for up to 5hp motors. So, will it start this MG setup without harm but just not give me full power? Don't know much about electricals :zap:

Cletus.

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2017, 10:02:57 PM »
So, for those interested: here's a little update. New phase converter ordered, numerous layers of grime removed ( lots left) , and some parts and manual recieved. I ordered all new felt for the wipers, a feed drive belt ($134.50) , tailstock oil cup and a manual. Now old Cletus is going to tell off on himself. The little thumbscrew that locks the numbers scale on the compound (topslide) was missing. I had about finalized the order when they called me for a problem in the kitchen at work and I remembered the screw. So, I tell the guy to just add one on. He says hang on and I'll get you a price. Well, being in a hurry and being Cletus, I said: "Dude, how much can a thumbscrew be, just send it " Well boys and girls, turns out that that little thumbscrew is chrome plated and that's a haz-mat business in Ohio. So how high you ask: 97 of our good old American freedom dollars.  :censored: :hammerbash: :Doh: :facepalm: :smokin2: :zap: :cussing:. Calls them and no returns on chrome plated parts. I should have just kept my mouth shut and went to the kitchen when the women told me to   :lolb:. I am kinda wondering about the paint job. Everything I've removed has the same color green everywhere( albeit nicey done) even under things, like the tailstock. I'm wondering since it was a Department of Defense item, if they were orered green or painted by an enlisted man, or painted latter in life. Any ideas fellows?

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2017, 10:46:05 PM »
Like the old joke, which I won't repeat here...." Damn brother, I don't believe I'd of told that.".  :lolb:. Hope you got some AMEX points.

Bill

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2017, 11:04:53 PM »
Don't feel too lonely about that screw. I've been bitten that way quite a few times.

You'd think I would learn..... :slap: :facepalm:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2017, 11:19:35 PM »
It should be gold plated at least though. Just make sure the shop gnomes don't grab it and run Eric!!

Bill

Offline kvom

« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2017, 11:33:59 PM »
If you put a DRO on the lathe you'll never look at those numbers again.  Did you notice the round screw on the side of the crossfeed dial?

Turn it all the way in and it restricts the travel to a partial turn.  So when you're cutting threads, after each pass you don't need the numbers to return to the previous setting.  You just turn the dial back until it stops.  Very handy, and you can cut threads at a fairly high RPM.  Hand on the handle and give it a sharp turn to disengage at the end of the thread, while at the same time disengaging the thread dial lever.  Back up, turn the handle back to the stop, and advance the compound for the next pass.

My lathe is a blue grey and I believe that was the original color.  Mine also has the taper attachment and the original 6-jaw chuck.  During wartime they probably used any paint that was handy.

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2017, 12:09:28 AM »
Hey Pete, you know what they say: "education is expensive" . Bill, I think I know a couple of variations of that joke  :mischief: :naughty:. Heck, I bet gold plating is cheaper. Kirk, I have that screw figured out thanks to Abom79. Now, what's the long rod going through the left hand/neutral/ right hand ( I think) knob for on the headstock? I swore when I finished the car restoration, never again, and here I go again  :facepalm2: :facepalm:.

Cletus

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2017, 01:57:19 AM »
Gold? I guess I'm lucky in that the guy who runs the local (small) surplus store also does precious metal plating. Small stuff.
I've had him gold plate a number of Browning triggers, and similar, and they run about $20. I do all the prep and polish....

I've considered setting up a little nickle plate system. It's easy and cheap. Mostly for tool parts....

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline kvom

« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2017, 02:48:30 AM »
That rod is just a carriage stop.  I never have used mine.

Switching the lathe for threading involves four knobs.  The one to the right of the round dial set to thread, the center knob to right or left hand thread, and the dial itself to select the TPI column, and the A/B/C knob to the left to select the row.  How to read the rows depends on how the gears are set up in the far left section next to the belt.  In one position (larger pitch) the A row in on the outside.  For smaller pitches the A row is the inner row.  I generally have mine set for the smaller pitch range.  You also need to pull the reversing knob on the saddle out one click to engage the leadscrew.

When set for feed, the dial and ABC setting give feed per revolution.

« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2017, 06:19:36 PM »
Hey guys, just had a few minutes and thought I would catch up with y’all. First of all, due to employees ( or lack of), a thriving business, geriatric parents, 13 horses, and thirty acres to keep mowed, I’ve kinda been outta the loop. Now I faithfully read all posts each night or early next morning and am still amazed at the work going on here: bravo 👏 . On the Monarch scene: well let’s say she certainly wasn’t a virgin  :lolb:. Boys I found swarf in places I’d never thought it could get to. The 10EE has a “Bijur oiling system “ that pumps oil to all the ways with  each revolution of the carriage handwheel. Well, that system looked like it was in a muddy Mississippi delta ship wreck, circa 1877, I ain’t never seen such rusty, crusty, soup. All of the oil lines were corroded and are being replaced. Try finding 3/32” & 5/32” copper tubing. I’ll tell you where you find it: a Bijur dealer. The metering nozzles on the system were all pretty clogged and needed extensive cleaning, so I just opted to order new ones, but, after a cleaning, the pump looks good. I’ve found a few bad bearings, mostly ones exposed to the “outside” and they have been replaced. The new three phase wiring is done in the shop and she happily sings up to 2500 rpm and it seems all the original electricals in the machine are performing as required. Good Lord willing, next weekend or maybe sooner, we’ll make some chips. Y’all come see us

Cletus

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2017, 07:19:16 PM »
Good to hear from you Cletus!!  Sounds like you are still making progress on the old girl ...looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Bill

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2017, 09:59:58 PM »
Hey guys, just had a few minutes and thought I would catch up with y’all. First of all, due to employees ( or lack of), a thriving business, geriatric parents, 13 horses, and thirty acres to keep mowed, I’ve kinda been outta the loop. Now I faithfully read all posts each night or early next morning and am still amazed at the work going on here: bravo 👏 . On the Monarch scene: well let’s say she certainly wasn’t a virgin  :lolb:. Boys I found swarf in places I’d never thought it could get to. The 10EE has a “Bijur oiling system “ that pumps oil to all the ways with  each revolution of the carriage handwheel. Well, that system looked like it was in a muddy Mississippi delta ship wreck, circa 1877, I ain’t never seen such rusty, crusty, soup. All of the oil lines were corroded and are being replaced. Try finding 3/32” & 5/32” copper tubing. I’ll tell you where you find it: a Bijur dealer. The metering nozzles on the system were all pretty clogged and needed extensive cleaning, so I just opted to order new ones, but, after a cleaning, the pump looks good. I’ve found a few bad bearings, mostly ones exposed to the “outside” and they have been replaced. The new three phase wiring is done in the shop and she happily sings up to 2500 rpm and it seems all the original electricals in the machine are performing as required. Good Lord willing, next weekend or maybe sooner, we’ll make some chips. Y’all come see us

Cletus

Cletus

Sounds good bud!   Pictures please!!!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal