Author Topic: Hey Steamer, Cletus did a bad thing too  (Read 7908 times)

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
Re: Hey Steamer, Cletus did a bad thing too
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2017, 01:35:47 PM »
Congratulations Cletus,

In addition to Keith Rucker's 10EE, Tom Lipton (Oxtoolco) got one, but no further word on what he's doing.  Outside screwball also got one, reconditioned it, and has been adding accessories.  If you Google for them, you will find lots of people who have got them running, some with rather extensive modifications or rebuilds. I drool over them, but will probably never see one.

You have joined a cult within a cult, but I hope you can show pictures.

Regards,

ShopShoe

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2017, 03:08:59 PM »
Thanks everyone for looking in. To be honest, I didn't really know what a "cult" following and mythical claims the 10EE had until starting to read up a bit last night. Really, I don't know much about what it  has or doesn't have in regards to electrics and features, but, everything looks original. No Kirk,, I didn't get the phase converter it is running on presently and I'm guessing that the one I'm using on my mill isn't going to be big enough. No steady rest as far as I know, but, didn't think to ask or look. Basically, it was owned by a good friend that is going through some hard financial times and I jumped at the chance to buy it and help him out. That being said; I really didn't give it a nit picking exam. I'm going to try and get it home this weekend and I promise pics will follow: along with tons of questions I'm sure. Y'all don't forget your safety glasses now you hear. :cheers:

Cletus

Offline kvom

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2017, 03:27:46 PM »
Weight is about 3000 lbs, so take it easy with the move.  I have mine sitting on two pieces of 4x4 so that I can move it with a pallet jack.  The good news is that since it's all one big casting you don't need to level it.

The Ward Leonard drive, if still installed, works well.  You have a 7.5HP 3-phase motor driving a DC generator that powers a DC motor to drive the lathe.  Three main types of oil needed.  For the head, filled though the top, use medium heavy oil.ISO 68.  For the spindle bearing light spindle oil.  Plus way oil for the ways.  I get all these from MSC in gallon jugs.  There are sight glasses in the sides to show oil level, but if they are clouded you may want to drain the old oil and replace the plastic lenses.  The other thing to check is whether the way oil pump in the carriage is still working.  Apparently they can get plugged with age.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2017, 03:28:19 PM »
I'm going to try and get it home this weekend and I promise pics will follow: along with tons of questions I'm sure.

You are going to make us wait another two days  :rant: 

You can't honestly have been to look at a machine and decided to buy it without taking pictures  :slap: 

I bet you won't let DOG drool on this one when it arrives  :lolb:

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline kvom

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2017, 03:32:02 PM »
If not included in the deal, try to buy as many of the chucks that he has.  D1-3 camlock spindle mount.  Hopefully a camlock chuck key as well. 

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2017, 03:56:22 PM »
Sorry Jo, actually when I arrived and learned the reason for selling, I kinda had some emotions going on and didn't think about pics. DOG can get away with the drooling, hind leg hiking  :ShakeHead:  Kirk, I did get a three and four jaw along with a collet chuck that looks like yours I believe. I call them speed chucks. I'm sure that I'll be in touch.

Cletus

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 06:35:44 PM »
Sorry Jo, actually when I arrived and learned the reason for selling, I kinda had some emotions going on and didn't think about pics. DOG can get away with the drooling, hind leg hiking  :ShakeHead:  Kirk, I did get a three and four jaw along with a collet chuck that looks like yours I believe. I call them speed chucks. I'm sure that I'll be in touch.

Cletus

Jacobs
 Rubber-flex maybe? if so they are pretty nice.

Dave

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2017, 08:30:58 PM »
Dave, I didn't see the brand, but, it's one that looks like a baby moon hubcap with a steering wheel around it and a spindle sticking out of the center of it  8).

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 11:06:24 PM »
Yo Cletus, hope you get that EE home this weekend. Just watching the weather, Irna is gonna swing over your way directly towards Nashville around Tues. or wed. Things could get a bit wet!!

Bill
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 01:45:33 PM by b.lindsey »

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2017, 11:14:05 PM »
Bill, we've gotten the leftovers of all the major storms. It is wet as a sponge here. Cooler than it's been for this time of year in years. We agreed to move it tomorrow afternoon. Y'all stand by for piccys.

Cletus

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 11:18:24 PM »
Going to bed early. 2:00a.m wake up. 125 slabs of ribs, 80lbs. of wings , 20lbs. of leg quarters, and three briskets to cook and then I'm gonna bring it home  :pinkelephant:

Cletus

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2017, 01:54:13 AM »
Hi Cletus,
 Do you deliver........ :P :P :P

:pics:

Cheers Kerrin

Get excited and make something!

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2017, 11:53:39 PM »
Home with about twenty years of swarf. Date of manufacture 12-44. Hmm didn't something else big happen then. :thinking:.

Cletus

Offline kvom

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2017, 12:11:43 AM »
Doesn't look bad at all.  Only thing I notice is that the thread dial lever was either replaced or had the end broken off, and missing the oil hole plugs on the tailstock.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2017, 12:27:44 AM »
Glad you got it home safe and sound Cletus. A little cleaning up and she'll look good as new!!

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal