Author Topic: Back to Steam  (Read 64320 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Back to Steam
« Reply #375 on: November 19, 2017, 08:33:08 PM »
Just a little bit of Loctiting/soldering/hole plugging/polishing, and the beast will have manifolds.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #376 on: November 19, 2017, 08:41:35 PM »
How are going to attach the manifold to the engine? That's one thing I have never come up with a good way to do, always wind up with screws I can't get at.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #377 on: November 19, 2017, 09:30:03 PM »
How are going to attach the manifold to the engine? That's one thing I have never come up with a good way to do, always wind up with screws I can't get at.
Loctite---or maybe J.B. weld. Okay--I've had my dinner and can give you a little better answer. Most of the stuff I build is single cylinder where you don't need a manifold. I generally tap the intake and the exhaust ports for a standard 1/4"-20 or a 5/16"-18 thread. I only have a few twin cylinder engines, and I think your method of making a bolt on flange is the best way to attach a manifold. Most of the time when I make up manifolds for twin cylinder engines, I make it up as I go along. By the time I'm down to the last stages of an engine build, I generally opt for something "quick and nasty" that still looks and functions okay. I do sometimes use Loctite if the situation will allow, knowing full well that if I ever have to take that manifold off the engine, a little bit of heat will be called for. I don't really have a problem with that. Most of my engines are "shelf queens". I build them, I make a video of them running, I play with them for a week, and then it's up on a shelf. Sometimes if I have a visitor and they are interested I will get one of the engines down and run it for them, but that doesn't really happen very often.---Brian
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 11:28:51 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #378 on: November 20, 2017, 12:29:34 AM »
I've silver soldered as much as I dare. This goes into my citric acid pickle solution now and sets overnight. Tomorrow I will "dress" the ends of the hexagon parts , clean up any remaining crud with a brass bristle brush, then Loctite things into place on the engine.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #379 on: November 20, 2017, 04:51:37 PM »
And this, gentlemen, is THE END! The manifolds turned out very nice, the engine runs in forward and reverse, the project is completely finished. Thank you to all who have tagged along for this build.---Brian

simplyloco

« Reply #380 on: November 20, 2017, 09:20:30 PM »
The manifold attractions of your model are made even more attractive by the excellent manifold.
Thankfully, my puns are exhausted...
Very nice!
John

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #381 on: November 20, 2017, 11:36:51 PM »
Simplyloco--That's where a lot of the fun is.---Making it up as I go along.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #382 on: November 21, 2017, 09:57:24 PM »
Yeah, I know. I said I was done with this but "Idle hands are the devil's workshop" my grandma used to say---
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGLXclJdPI0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGLXclJdPI0</a>

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal