Author Topic: British Modelling and Electrical Co. Or. British Engineering and Electrical Co.  (Read 10564 times)

Offline Chipmaster

Hi Graham, after checking with Mike C, I have amended the description of the Schoenner and Leek "running on propane" in the first video. Those two were running on synthetic coal gas from Air Liquide.
I hope my mistake didn't cause too much consternation.
Andy

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
What is really needed is a setup liek Wayne Grenning and the guys at Coolsprings use so they can mix their own "cocktail" , the big red cylinder is Hydrogen

Although Acetylene is suggested for some of the models it is probably not the best gas but is more available than the hydrogen mixes so that's why it is suggested

Apparently they get through quite a bit of Hydrogen at a show!

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
Hi Graham, after checking with Mike C, I have amended the description of the Schoenner and Leek "running on propane" in the first video. Those two were running on synthetic coal gas from Air Liquide.
I hope my mistake didn't cause too much consternation.
Andy

Hello Andy.

Just a little!  I went into the workshop resolved to run on Propane.... The 1mm diameter ignition port showed no signs of life so I sleeved the 1/8" diameter hole in the other part down to 2mm.

After much fiddling the engine started but the position of the flame is super critical. It seems there's a need for both Blue and Yellow parts to enter together. The most annoying thing is the engines habit of extinguishing the flame upon firing!

I recessed the sleeve in the hope that the pressure would exit in a straight line, no, it still blows the flame out that's mounted below. Frustrating isn't a strong enough word......

I'm wondering if high speed photography might show what's actually happening? I do feel that it's probably due to the slower burn speed of Propane though.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Alyn Foundry

Hmmm..... Smiling.

This is exactly the phenomenon that Browning watched and put to great effect with the BAR, Browning Automatic Rifle..

So my recessing of the smaller tube wouldn't help at all.

Does anyone have any ideas how to prevent the blast at right angles occurring? But still allowing the flame to enter the port?

Cheers Graham.

Offline Chipmaster

Hi Graham,  the Schoenner featured in the video included in Reply 12 is running on propane, it can be done. You'll have to speak to Mike about it.

Andy
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 08:32:09 PM by Chipmaster »

Offline Alyn Foundry

I've been having a " rummage " today.

I came across this photograph taken of my Leek No 3 in the late 80's. Possibly at the Anglesey steam rally near....

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

Newly restored and resplendent in shiny paint and Brass sitting on a purpose built trembler box to be able to run on Propane gas.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Nice little engine  :).

I haven't been to Llanfair PG. I hope they do rally plaques for all the displayed engines :naughty:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Walsheng

• Norfolk, MA
    • Walsh Engineering
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

Haven't seen that in years.  I had an uncle who was a wing commander in the RAF and he could actually pronounce the name correctly.  At least according to him it was correct.

John

simplyloco

Nice little engine  :).

I haven't been to Llanfair PG. I hope they do rally plaques for all the displayed engines :naughty:

Jo

I went in my youth: I still have the somewhat oversized platform ticket... :lolb:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal