Author Topic: Otto Langen Model Questions  (Read 11995 times)

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
Re: Otto Langen Model Questions
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 02:16:10 PM »
Hi Jason.

Looking good!

An automotive boring bar is unsuitable for your job sadly.

May I suggest not using a sprag clutch bearing with a keyway, I learned the hard way, they crack on the weakest spot, particularly due to shock loading. Try eBay, Bolton Bearings do a range of non PP units at reasonable cost.

I'm really looking forward to seeing if they work, logically they should but practice, as allready mentioned might prove otherwise.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2017, 02:25:30 PM »
 :noidea: I am not sure what all the fuss is about the OL Cylinder is only 325mm long, so you only need a lathe bed that is 650mm long plus something to leave the tail clamped on the end. Little C volunteered Big C to do it for me to avoid getting Cast Iron dust in the house. 

Yes I have a one way needle bearing in the box for my model of the Patent OL which is much closer to the original design. That sprag clutch is a monster  :o

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2017, 02:34:07 PM »
They do the same style sprag with one or no keyways so may go for that.

Plenty of room inside the clutch to fit it Jo, the two "races" make the diameter larger.

Luckily I have 700mm between ctrs

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2017, 02:35:59 PM »
Luckily I have 700mm between ctrs

So what is the problem  :noidea:

Jo

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2017, 04:34:24 PM »
That sprag clutch is a monster  :o

Jo

Hi Jo.

I feel in this situation you'd agree that " bigger is better " ? I'd rather over engineer this particular component knowing what it has to do.

Cheers Graham.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2017, 04:52:21 PM »

Jo

Someone let their supplier take the micro boring bit back :cussing:

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2017, 02:49:55 AM »
 The picture shows the setup I used to bore the column.  At the end of the mill table I have a block clamped in place with a ball bearing insert.  The ID of the bearing matches the OD of the boring rod.  I had drilled the rod (cross section) and placed a ground cutting tool through the hole, clamping it in place with a set screw at right angles.  The table feed was used to feed the column through the boring rod as it turned in the bearing.  The rod slid through the bearing as the table feed advanced.  This worked pretty well and the hone was able to “true-up” the cylinder.

After the boring was complete I used an Ammco 3950 rigid hone that I fed through the length of the column, working from both sides and driven by an electric hand drill.  By working slowly, and increasing the diameter of the hone through rough to finishing stones, I achieved an acceptable cylinder wall.  I wasn’t really trying to “hit” an exact diameter measurement, I was more interested in achieving a good straight, smooth, non-tapered cylinder.  Once I had achieved this, I made the piston and rings t fit.

Looks like you’re making some good progress Jason.   
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2017, 03:03:29 AM »
Graham and Jason.  The sprag clutch you identify in the above link, I would think, should work fine.

I designed and built my own because…. heck, I can’t say why. :shrug:  I never considered using an off the shelf product.  Maybe I’m a purist, :thinking: maybe a nut, :hammerbash: maybe both. :lolb:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2017, 06:28:08 AM »
Thanks for that Craig, looks a similar setup to what I was going to try on the lathe, I have left the fluted section parallel so I can clamp to that.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2017, 07:40:25 AM »
That sprag clutch is a monster  :o

Jo

Hi Jo.

I feel in this situation you'd agree that " bigger is better " ? I'd rather over engineer this particular component knowing what it has to do.

Cheers Graham.

It is not load bearing in the traditional bearing sense it only has to stop and spin the shaft in one direction and let it free wheel in the other. A star wheel with roller bearings would be more than adequate to do the job. I would be more concerned with having to split the flywheel shaft to get it into place.

Jo

Someone let their supplier take the micro boring bit back :cussing:

Have you tried your supplier  :headscratch:

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2017, 07:54:26 AM »
Jo that was the first one of that type of bearing I found yesterday, not the size that I will use. A 15x35x11 would suit

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p152512/CSK15P-15mm-Sprag-Clutch-One-Way-Bearing-with-Internal-Keyway-15x35x11mm/product_info.html?backstep=1

My shaft is the correct profile not just an enlarged version of the Lenaz one, 15mm shaft, 12.5 mm bearing surfaces which scale down for 60 & 50 metric sizes on the full size not decimal imperials, full size does also have a key, gear will have right number of teeth. All the parts that fit it will also be as close as I can get them to No1 and not like the Lenaz :)

« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 08:04:02 AM by Jasonb »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal