Author Topic: Hello from the States!  (Read 1831 times)

Offline Nathan

Hello from the States!
« on: August 28, 2017, 05:44:20 PM »
My name is Nathan.
I am from sunny southern California. Thank you for welcoming me to your exciting forum. I initially found this forum by researching Keith5700's beautiful 1/3 scale V10.  I am a total fan of youtube's Patelo air powered multi cylinder desktop jeweled creations. But most of all, I wish to gain a vast knowledge of engine design from a group of the biggest machinist boffins and gearheads hear on this site. I look forward to talking to each of you in the future. God bless.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Hello from the States!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 05:52:49 PM »
Welcome to MEM Nathan. It's a great bunch of folks here so ask all you want in the way of questions. Are you working on any projects currently?

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 06:53:01 PM »
Hi there Nathan,
Welcome to the forum. You came to a great place to learn.  You couldn't find a more friendly, sharing place on the net!
Kim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 08:18:29 PM »
Hi Nathan

Welcome to MEM!

Dave

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 08:27:57 PM »

Welcome Nathan to the MEM forum.

Thomas

Thomas

Offline Jim K 324

• Morgan Ciy, La. ( On the Atchafalaya River)
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 12:52:51 AM »

:hi:  To this forum Nathan lot of good people and information here

Jim
It's not what you make,It's how you make it that
matters !!

Offline Nathan

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 06:06:31 PM »
Welcome to MEM Nathan. It's a great bunch of folks here so ask all you want in the way of questions. Are you working on any projects currently?

Bill

Thanks, Bill.  There is so much to learn.  Do you have any advice on where to get started?  What's the first thing I should learn about scale engine design and fabrication?  I am looking to learn everything I can, and build a couple of scale Porsche and VW air cooled engines.  It would be awesome to have a scale model of a flat-8 cylinder out of a Porsche 718 W-RS or a 908/3.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 06:24:45 PM »
Hi Nathan,

Lets start with: Have you built any model engines from plans? (We would like to see pictures of anything you have built  :) )

Then we can move on to are you looking to build from castings or machining from bar stock  :noidea:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 07:26:36 PM »
Hi Nathan, as Jo suggests, baby steps first. We often recommend to those starting out to begin with a simple barstock oscillating engine to begin acquiring the skills needed for more advanced projects. A multi-cylinder scale model is certainly a worthy goal, but not a good starting place unless your experience level is already more than I am assuming from your introduction post. The problem is that one can easily get frustrated when biting off more than you can chew so to speak. Many if not most of us started out in the same place and if you wish, this hobby can be a rewarding and lifelong journey and you can get to the destination you desire as experience is gained. We have all made plenty of mistakes and scrap parts too along the way too. Actual design of your own engines adds yet another layer of both challenge and satisfaction.

It would also help to know what machinery you have or have access to for model building.  Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal