Engines > From Kits/Castings

The Dickson!

(1/36) > >>

maury:
Well folks, with the home improvements mostly behind me now it's time to get back into the shop. On my
trip to NAMES this spring I had the opportunity to pay a visit to Dennis Howe of former Historic Model
Design. He is and had been for about a year working on a new scale model. The Dickson! It's a triple
expansion marine engine fitted for stationary use with 2 large dynamos.During our visit it we decided
I would join the project as well, I will be bringing design and casting experience to the project.A
third guy, John Ugo is also in the group, he is designing the electrics for the dynamos.

This is a really magnificent engine, It uses Joys valve gear, has steam valving to allow the engine
to operate as a triple expansion, or 1,2,or 3 cylinder mode and also some combinations of cylinders.
The engine was used in the Henry Ford Plant to operate electric motors for the assembly lines. As I
understand there were 7 of these engines in the plant. The one in the includes pics is located in the
Henry Ford Museum in Detroit. Fortunately, Dennis has been able to dig up some of the original drawings.

That id Dennis standing by the Dickson.

maury

b.lindsey:
What a fabulous project Maury. I am sure your expertise will be most helpful to the group as well.

Bill

jeff l:
Nice project for sure , but the engine was never in a Ford plant . It was owned buy the Edison Illuminating Company and was in service at the Duane Street station in New York it was in service from 1891-1928 after which it was donated to the Edison Institute which is now the Henry Ford . Jeff

Ye-Ole Steam Dude:

This is going to be a wonderful project to follow. Thanks for sharing.

Thomas

maury:
Thanks for the encouraging words guys, and JeffI, thanks for the historical correction. Guess I misunderstood or was mis-informed. There is a lot of history associated with this engine, for example, it was during that time that the AC/DC wars were going on. Seems AC won out, obsoleting this electrical design.

A few more pics, the piping is what I'm currently working on.
maury

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version