Author Topic: Demagnetizer  (Read 2850 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Demagnetizer
« on: August 20, 2017, 06:31:35 PM »
For years now I have suffered from the magnetized caliper and wrench syndrome which rears its ugly head when working with ferrous metals like mild steel, drill rod, etc. Since most of my work is mainly aluminum or brass or bronze this has been one of those things I just lived with, but when working with ferrous metals inevitably, laying the calipers or hex wrench (used on the vise) anywhere near the swarf, results in little bits of metal clinging to the calipers or wrenches (photos 1 & 2 although these are somewhat extreme examples). In the past I have used a horsehair brush to simply brush the bits of swarf off and it works well, just a PITA to have to do that everytime!!  The little Wiha handheld magnetizer/demagnetizer I have is fine for small screwdrivers but really ineffective for something like calipers. About a month ago Travers had their 120v demagnetizer ( photo 3) on sale, normally about $80 dollars but on sale for $60 so I decided to bite the bullet and order one. Now I know Marv will say, and rightly so that an old bulk tape eraser will work just as well, but I don't do yard sales and since magnetic tape has not been in vogue for a good many years there may not be many bulk erasers still around at yard sales anyway.

Since I have been working on the crankshaft for the little Pearl lately (drill rod and 1018 steel) the syndrome came back with a vengeance so I got this unit out today and gave it a try. After a few passes of the calipers over the demagnetizer surface I dunked it right into a pile of steel swarf (photo 4) and as you can see in photo 5 the problem was solved  :cartwheel:.  Same thing for the allen wrench used to tighten the Sherline vice as shown in photos 6 & 7. We will see how long the "cure" lasts.

This isn't a tool that will be used that will be used constantly by any means but it will still be nice not to have to clean off the calipers or hex wrench every time I pick it up.

Bill

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
Re: Demagnetizer
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 06:37:55 PM »
Hi Bill,
 I hear your pain!
Now I just gotta find one of those down here!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 06:54:47 PM »
Perhaps Ebay is the place to look for bulk tape erasers but I don't do Ebay so can't say.

I have some concerns with using the demagnetizer on tools with electronic components.  I've been lucky in not having to do so yet but, should the occasion arise, I think I'll run a pair of my high quality Harbor Freight calipers through first.

Also, on the box housing my tape eraser, I have inscribed a large message in red, "Remove watch before using".  Again, I can't say that it's a concern but I'm not going to take any chances with an expensive, self-setting watch.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 06:59:57 PM »
All good points Marv. I haven't tried the electronic calipers and no....I don't do ebay either but a possible source for bulk erasers. Maybe others can check.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal