Author Topic: Crossley-Premier HH12  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Fowellbox

Crossley-Premier HH12
« on: August 19, 2017, 02:41:43 PM »
I used to work at Crossley-Premier  Engines in Sandiacre in England and when the company closed down we apprentices were instructed to burn all the drawings and instruction manuals out in the yard. It was heartbreaking!
I managed to save some items including a cross section of the works drawing for a HH12 single cylinder and twin cylinder (which was 2 single cylinder engines joined by a common crankshaft)
I always intended to build a model one day but have never got round to it and, to be honest, I don't really have the time but, one lives in hope.
Has anyone any experience of building a scale model of a diesel or gas engine from full sized plans?
The HH12 engines had a bore of 12 1/2"inches and a stroke of 21"inches and I was thinking of a scale of 1/4.
Any advice appreciated.
Below is a similar engine (Courtesy Cheffins)

Brian

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Crossley-Premier HH12
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 08:45:08 PM »
Looks an interesting project. At 1/4 scale that is still going to be quite large, I have built several hit and miss engines and the bore on those probably averages out around 1."5 to 1.75" and flywheels of 8"-10"

These have been from casting sets but I am also working on a 1/3rd scale Ruston Hornsby BPR petrol paraffin engine base on photos and a good parts drawing. Which has a welded main frame and hopper, head carved from a solid block of iron and all the rest fabricated.

I have also done a couple of largish steam models using similar methods, some by scaling up models and adding extra detail others from photos with a few critical measurements.

Offline Fowellbox

Re: Crossley-Premier HH12
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 10:09:56 PM »
That looks good Jason, thanks for the reply.
My problem is that I have to finish the Burrell-Boydell and the engine after that is already lined up. This is planned to be the Fowell-Box but in 1 1/2 inch scale as I have the drawings I did for the 3" inch one and fancied doing it again in the same scale as the Burrell.
I shall just have to work faster!
Brian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal