Author Topic: New (to me) toys  (Read 2419 times)

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
New (to me) toys
« on: August 14, 2017, 08:47:30 PM »
Hi Folks,

Even before the ransom Photobucket had got very difficult to use and, I'm afraid rather put me off posting.  Also, I don't find that a sequence of pictures all below the text really works for me.  Now, thanks to Ade, that problem is solved...

I've caught a dose of Machinetool Acquisition Syndrome.  Thanks to ebay a Pultra came my way and, after a bit of trading with jadge, has been re-painted and and mounted on a box containing a 3 phase motor and inverter.  They really are beautifully thought out machines.

Also got this last week:

I don't know why I wanted a shaper but for £73 and couple of gallons of diesel it seemed too good to miss.  It clearly has had very little use (and I suspect that will continue!)

Cheers,
Rod

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 11:39:24 AM by tangler »

simplyloco

Re: New (to me) toys
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 09:30:10 PM »
Hi Folks,
SNIP

I don't know why I wanted a shaper but for £73 and couple of gallons of diesel it seemed to good to miss.  It clearly has had very little use (and I suspect that will continue!)

Cheers,
Rod

I bet you go out and buy a 14" Bastard file after using that gadget a couple of times!  :Jester:
John

Offline Perry

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 09:48:51 PM »
That shaper is so nice, it is worth to have it even if you don't have a job for it. I like it

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 10:21:50 PM »
Nice finds Rod. Is the 3phase motor original to the lathe?

Bill

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 05:24:35 PM »
The motor is new. The favoured drive for these lathe was a "Mardrive" unit, derived from an industrial sewing machine motor with a built-in clutch that could be foot operated.  Normally there would be a multi step countershaft in the drive train.  Drive to the headstock pulley could be either from below or out the back.  Even on the plain bearing headstock that I have, it is said to be good for 10,000 rpm.  I'll be happy with 3,000.  I wanted to keep the lathe compact and semi-portable so I have used a 2 pole motor with direct drive on a 1:1 pulley.  With the VFD this gives me around 200-3,000 rpm which should be fine for model engineering (rather than watch making).

Cheers,
Rod

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 05:35:45 PM »
Looks like a handy little lathe  :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal