Author Topic: More Snow engine problems  (Read 1096 times)

Offline GordonL

More Snow engine problems
« on: August 14, 2017, 07:56:02 PM »
 I have built a Snow and I am having a problem getting it to run. I am sure that it is a compression problem but I am having a problem nailing it down. I can kind of get it to fire on #3 cylinder and occasionally the other cylinders will give a weak pop. The #3 cylinder is the only one which seems to show any compression. If I hold my finger over the spark plug hole I can feel suction or pressure but not much but it does hold for several seconds.

Things I have done:
-I have replaced the CI rings with viton O rings. Not a permanent solutions but good for testing at this point.
-I have made a fitting to fit in the spark plug hole and applied 40# of pressure to the cylinders. That has found a couple of small leaks. One valve was not sealing well and I had a leak at one of the head gaskets to the outside and an internal leak past the gasket into the cooling chamber. At this point I cannot find any more leaks using my extremely faulty hearing or using soap bubbles. Any leaks must be really slow.
-I have made the gaskets first using .015 automotive gasket and then using .015 PTFE. The PTFE fixed the leak to the outside but caused the leak into the cooling chamber.
-The ignition is timed for about 8° BTDC
-Valve timing is set per the instructions to begin EX open 25° BBDC.
-I have tried a couple of different carburetors. Presently I have a ENYA .09 carb which others have had good luck with.
-I presently have replaced the garter spring seals with O ring backed seals because I could not seem to get the garter spring seals on without damaging them but soap bubbles do not show any leakage.

I am looking for any ideas on where to look next.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal