Author Topic: Hegner Scroll Saw  (Read 6029 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Hegner Scroll Saw
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 08:37:32 AM »
Bubble Wrap  :thinking: I seem to get lots of that stuff  :thinking:

Portakabin   :)  ... Thank God for that, I was having all sorts of lurid thoughts involving pigs ...  :insane:

:hellno:

Clearly, someone is still thinking about the recent miss hap on Andrew's shed build, it would have been better without the photo  :facepalm:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 10:32:41 AM »

Clearly, someone is still thinking about the recent miss hap on Andrew's shed build, it would have been better without the photo  :facepalm:

Jo

Possibly ...  :thinking:   Clydesdales are rather more impressive though .....  :lolb:

Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 11:12:19 AM »
Upgrade 1 complete: It has a footswitch  :) I think it could do with a better presser foot, something more like you find on a sewing machine  :thinking:

I am not sure about the need for the toggle adjuster on the tensioner... I need to be more consistent with my mounting of the saw blades before that would be of use.

I have tried it on a few bits of metal and brass and ali  :ThumbsUp: I can't find any thin bits of steel  :headscratch:

I think it is a keeper.

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2017, 11:24:57 AM »
The toggle is only really needed if taking the blade in and out a lot which you would tend to use if doing a lot of piercing work where you are cutting within the work rather than coming in from an edge so the blade needs to be passed through a hole for each cut in which case it could become tedius having to keep winding the tension on and off to remove and refit the blade.

All you need to do now is stick a copy of your favorite engine picture to a bit of birch ply and you can make yourself a jigsaw puzzle to keep you amused, that Wheeler print of teh BB1 would be ideal :)

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 11:36:21 AM »
Jo

I am inclined to be a bit impressed by the hold down foot, mainly 'cos I don't have one.  :'(
When I've used mine to cut FR4 PCB sheet, there is a tendency for the job to jump about somewhat.

There does appear to be a newer / improved (?) version:
https://www.hegner.co.uk/hold-down-arm-for-multicut-m1-m2.html

I would think it would not be a big job to fabricate one  :thinking: ( better than shelling out £70-odd anyway )

Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 11:56:11 AM »
 :o The accessories are expensive  :paranoia:

The previous owner does seem to have added a few bits and bobs to this including that hold down arm, the Quick Release clamp and a blade centralising thingy. I think the old foot could be improved .

Jo

simplyloco

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 04:05:19 PM »
Just a bit of market feedback on scroll saws. I have owned a PROXXON 230 scroll saw for some 10 years now. It looks pretty but it's probably the most useless piece of kit that I have ever had the misfortune to own! The blades break easily and are difficult to insert, it wobbles all over the bench, and it is NOT accurate. I use my jeweller's saw most of the time these days!
Beware...
John

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Proxxon-Micromot-230-Scroll-Saw/dp/B000PJ8CS8

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2017, 05:24:00 PM »
John, when you visit remind me and I will let you have a go with the Hegner  ;)

Jo

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 06:35:51 PM »
:o The accessories are expensive  :paranoia:

It appears these are the Rolls Royce  or Bentley of scroll saws. It appears the model you have sells for $795 here in the states and they go  from there to almost $3500.

Not a run of the mill  Delta or ryobi.

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2017, 04:20:38 AM »
Jo I have had a Hegner multi-speed and foot switch for 20 years and never a problem. I do a lot of pierced work with the brown stuff and some metal mainly brass. aluminium, silver sheet (twice), thin steel and stainless steel. Each blade is for specific work and the metal cutting blades need careful use or they break. Hold the stuff down well and cut slowly. Those of us that use it for woodwork (fretwork) have all sorts of blade from coarse teeth to superfine and even spiral blades. The first thing most of us do is get rid of the hold down as it tends to limit vision of the cut. Some single speed owners have had success in wiring in a light dimmer to adjust the speed. The best blades I found are Flying Dutchman blades bought via the internet sellers in the USA Australia and who knows where else. As an aside an old bloke I know has owned the multi-speed for 35 years and recently replaced a bearing for au$5 and he uses it at least an hour a day. Mine cost 20 years ago au$1800 so value for money. Enjoy it, its a fun thing.
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2017, 07:27:27 AM »
Thanks Pete,

Those of us that use it for woodwork (fretwork) have all sorts of blade from coarse teeth to superfine and even spiral blades.

I have a couple of those spiral ones. They claim to be for plaster, plastic or the brown stuff  :paranoia: I looked on them as a type of Abra file but none said anything about cutting metal.

A light dimmer with a capacitor start motor  :thinking:

Jo

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2017, 07:47:14 AM »

Jo

I noticed that bit  :)  It may be that the 'Multi-Speed' has a different motor fitted.

Ooops! Sorry! Missed the 'fitted to single speed bit' ...  :embarassed:

Somewhere in that heap of junk I've accumulated over the years are 2 36V DC motors, fairly hefty brutes, ex-tape drives.
Once thought of putting one on my Hegner. ( Would need to make a DC PSU & a PWM wotsit )
However, I got on OK with the single speed arrangement so I wonder if it's worth the effort.
If I ever get another lifetime to spare I might ferret them out.

Dave
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 09:03:07 AM by Bluechip »

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2017, 08:35:07 AM »
Thanks Pete,

Those of us that use it for woodwork (fretwork) have all sorts of blade from coarse teeth to superfine and even spiral blades.

I have a couple of those spiral ones. They claim to be for plaster, plastic or the brown stuff  :paranoia: I looked on them as a type of Abra file but none said anything about cutting metal.

Jo
Yep the spiral ones are good for qickturns or single line work. They take a bit of getting used to. 

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline petertha

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2017, 09:33:41 PM »
Clickspring on YouTube does a lot of metal cutting on his Hegner if you want to see some live action or contact him about specifics. He cuts primarily brass, I suspect as a function of the clocks & similar projects he makes. People have asked about his blades & as I recall nothing special other than good quality jewelers blades, like what might be used on a manual saw. I'm very impressed with how the Hegner goes through material. They are brutally expensive in N-Am. I think my Dewalt has similar HP but it does not seem to enjoy metal, mind you I've been doing mostly aluminum sheet. Hope this rambling helps.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2017, 11:47:47 PM »
I bet one of these would be the perfect tool for that moving hummingbird sculpture someone posted a while back.  :naughty: Just what I need, another tool added to the list for after returning.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal