Author Topic: Val, What does it do?  (Read 9744 times)

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
Re: Val, What does it do?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 02:59:53 AM »
Brendon,
I must admit that I used to pull my coffee out of the freezer and grind it but since then apparently I've gotten lazy and grind it at the store. I did see a video of someone running a ice cream churn with a hit & miss. I think when I find the second of the two electric motors from the dead printer I will power the one and see if the other will run. And check the voltage at a known rpm like someone suggested.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2017, 05:15:46 AM »
one year I was taking Dyna to a show, and to give it something to doI made a winch for it, we hooked the line onto a full twenty litre water container and dragged it10 meters across our display site at the show, then set up some shearlegs, and lifted it 3 meters.  The motor will do a lot if the gearing is low enough.
Some have used them to turn a spit on the barba que.
Ian S C

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 02:43:45 AM »
Hi everyone,
I am going to resurrect this topic despite the fact that it has been more than 120 days. I have worked on the brown stuff (walnut), as well as having a friends son who works at a wood working shop. So this has gotten me motivated to move forward with this.

The electric motor I have salvaged out of a scrap printer. I checked the speed with my SW hand tachometer at 1700'ish RPM was 39-41 volts. That's to much for a computer fan 5 or 12 volts. Would appropriate pulleys reduce the voltage or do I need something else. Like a voltage regulator and if so how do I make that, or can I buy something that would do the job? Any suggestions?
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Ian S C

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 10:35:42 AM »
Art K, is that 39/41 volt AC or DC?  What ever, I think the best thing is to make up a voltage regulator, use a LM 315K in a TO-3 case, with this you can adjust the voltage, if you input is AC you will need to rectify it.
Ian S C

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 11:25:30 AM »
The alternators on all my four stroke motorcycles are about 90Vac no load for a 12Vdc system ...!!!!

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 11:59:57 AM »
Ian,
I assumed it was dc, the reasoning was that the ac motor wouldn't put out voltage. I will see if the voltmeter reads ac or dc. To be honest I had the vom clips on the motor, and was holding both the driving & driven using an O-ring as a belt. I did notice it was reading - so swapped the clips around to get +. Is the lm317 the same, when I googled lm315 It came up with the 317?
Dave,
It was an HP printer and yes there were # on it I will check after I get home from work.
Art

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 02:11:17 PM »
Didn't there used to be a lot of guys building beer can crushers? Then the problem would be where are going to get enough empty beer cans? Or, is that not a problem?
Mosey  :old:

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 09:31:30 PM »
No the LM317 isn't the same but a very good one too - but beware - not one of those can handle more than some 36Vdc  :zap:

Best wishes

Per

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 02:40:39 AM »
Per,
Thanks I actually discovered I was using Duck duck Go and when I changed to Google came up with a totally different search. I cant even find the same stuff I was looking at before work this morning. The printer motor I have is "HP Mabuchi C9000‑60005 RD530329Printer DC Stepper Motor" All I could find online was replacement motors on ebay and couldn't find any specs for it at all.
Ian,
I think the best thing is to make up a voltage regulator, use a LM 315K in a TO-3 case, with this you can adjust the voltage, if you input is AC you will need to rectify it.
The LM315 I found was a 3 pin chip. In found a description of the TO-3 on Wikipedia.
But being electronically deficient what do I do with them? The LM 315 acts as a voltage regulator what does the TO-3 do? or is the TO-3 just a case to mount the LM315 chip. Do you have some sort of wiring diagram of what I would need to run say a large computer fan "as a cooling fan"and maybe a few lights maybe LED's. I did figure from what I did find online that it is a dc stepper motor couldn't find the voltage though.
Art

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 07:15:24 AM »
Hi Art

IIRC  T.O. stands for 'Transistor Outline' which, as you have found, is the mechanical package for the device. TO-3 is just one of them.

Umpty zillion of variations   :thinking:

Fill your boots ....

www.bing.com/images/search?q=Transistor+Package+Types&FORM=IDMHDL

D.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 07:22:05 AM by Bluechip »

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 08:01:36 AM »
Does it look anything like this?

www.ebay.com/itm/222454346155?item=222454346155&rmvSB=true

ie.  Just 2 wires poking out?

If so it's just a permanent magnet DC motor. Not a Stepper Motor at all ...  :headscratch:

There will be a DC output. The voltage will be more or less proportional to RPM.  If you whizz it round the other way the polarity will reverse.

I assume you just have the meter across the output?  The voltage will drop somewhat if you put a load on it.

Got a 12V 21W car lamp / bulb ?   Try that. Wind the revs up slowly and measure the volts. If it doesn't do much, the lamp only glows a bit reddish etc. then try it with a 12V festoon lamp instead, the ones often fitted to inside lights in a car, contacts at each end.

There are a lot of that generic sort of motor kicking about, what you get out of them as a generator is a lottery, but you'll get something ... might not be all that useful though ..  :D

What do you intend to run on it anyway?

Dave

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:17:12 AM by Bluechip »

Offline Ian S C

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 09:35:23 AM »
I use a number of motors as generators and alternators, a good one is a small 12V DC motor with fairly low speed(probably around 5000rpm), as found in the likes of printers, VHS recorders.
Ian S C

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2018, 11:46:35 AM »
Dave,
Yes it looks like that, two wires and the white pulley. I'll try a light of some sort. I was driving it with an electric motor so the rpm was probably around 1700 rpm. To cold outside to run it on Val quite yet.
Art

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2018, 04:25:35 PM »
There is a remarkable lack of information on the internet about this electric motor. Mabuchi HP C9000-60005 It does appear to be a 12-18v motor but that is all I can find, no rpm, amps etc. If I was reading 38v does that mean the rpm was to high and it needs to spin slower?
Art

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2018, 04:48:28 PM »
There is a remarkable lack of information on the internet about this electric motor. Mabuchi HP C9000-60005 It does appear to be a 12-18v motor but that is all I can find, no rpm, amps etc. If I was reading 38v does that mean the rpm was to high and it needs to spin slower?
Art

In a word, yes.

As Admiral_DK says an unloaded and uncontrolled generator will output roughly proportional to the rpm.

I have had in excess of 70V DC from a Miller 6V dynamo. This was with 6V connected to the field winding. It will just keep going up as the revs. rise.

Yours is a permanent magnet motor. It will do the same.  It's what they do ...

Did you try loading it? What happened to the output volts?

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal