Author Topic: governors  (Read 40574 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: governors
« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2012, 05:02:52 PM »
Don, The problem is that I can't get photobucket to accept an excel spreadsheet :hammerbash:.

I cut the slot from the wide end of the tooth to the narrow. The tooth width in the center is the same as a standard spur gear, but equivalent to a 28 tooth spur rather than 16 tooth.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #91 on: November 10, 2012, 05:20:47 PM »
Jo, the attachment and other sheets below your reply gets it from your computer. Just insert it there.

Don

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #92 on: November 10, 2012, 05:28:17 PM »
Second attempt...

Jo

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2012, 05:38:19 PM »
Thanks Jo I got it. I seem to be getting a error in cell E 18 blank width.

Don

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2012, 05:44:10 PM »
Mine is ok :noidea: column E is just a repeat of column D. I added it so that I could use the sheet for bevels other than mitres. But have not done the maths yet.

Jo
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 06:08:31 PM by Jo »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2012, 06:29:49 PM »
Jo, you formula references to cell D9 but the D9 column has .707 in it and E9 column has nothing. I think it it suppose to be in D and E10 pitch angle of wheel. Can you verify this for me. I found the problem with E18 there was a F6 attached to it. This may be some kind of conversion problem on my part. I am using my IPAD and a office suit other then Microsoft.

Don

Offline ScroungerLee

• Southwest Connecticut, US, North America, Earth
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2012, 06:34:56 PM »
Thanks for the write-up Jo.  This is one of those cases where my getting a little knowledge shows me how much i don't know :). Good thing I enjoy learning new things.

Lee
Mmmmm.... Shiny!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2012, 06:47:12 PM »
Jo, you formula references to cell D9 but the D9 column has .707 in it and E9 column has nothing. I think it it suppose to be in D and E10 pitch angle of wheel. Can you verify this for me. I found the problem with E18 there was a F6 attached to it. This may be some kind of conversion problem on my part. I am using my IPAD and a office suit other then Microsoft.

Don

0.707 is me being lazy it is the sin and cos of 45 degrees. I directed column e to d because I need to add the appropriate maths for pairs of unequal bevels but have not done it yet. Ignore the f6.

Jo

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2012, 06:52:29 PM »
Thanks Jo, could you repost it once you complete the Unequal Bevel formulas?

Don

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2012, 10:25:31 PM »
Nice thread on making bevel gears. Thanks.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2012, 03:41:45 PM »
I must apologise when I first discussed making governors I very briefly mentioned making long links out of two pieces without explaining the technique for making them, what I am going to describe is making the governor to regulator link for my Double Tandem Compound engine:

This is my drawing for this link:

We will start on the fork, for this I took a piece of 3.2mm scrap and cut from it a piece 8mm wide and 16mm long.

The first cut is to make the slot for the main arm, this was done using a slitting saw:

The width of the cut was checked with the shank of a drill. Then off to the other mill to have two holes drilled:

You can see that the hole we want is very close to the slot that was cut, the other is to give us something to drop this milling cutter into:

So using a slot drill the two holes are joined together. Now we use filing buttons to shape the back of the fork, we don?t want to touch the other end because we need the waste material to hold it together:

This is what she looks like once she has had a little fettling with some files:

Whilst she is in the vice I filed the top and bottom tapers on either side and the first half of the end rounding, then as much of the second half before I had to finally part it from the waste. So one fork end that fits the material I am going to use for the main arm:

The main arm is first drilled for the pivot and end attachment. Then it is shaped up using filing buttons inserted in these two holes:

After a bit of character building this is the two parts:

We are now going to silver solder the fork to the arm. This is done by making sure some damp flux fills the slot in the fork end, adding flux to the end of the arm and balancing a small piece of silver solder above the joint:

Apply some heat:

And the joint is made. It is then back to filing to join the two profiles and some polishing:

The link is put on to the governor, with a washer and a home made R clip:

I would have normally used a single ring from a spring but I had already drilled the governor pivot for an R clip.

You can see what she looks like on my Double Tandem Compound thread.

Jo
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 04:15:02 PM by Jo »

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2012, 04:09:45 PM »
Nicely executed Jo, well done indeed.  :ThumbsUp:

BC1
Jim

Offline sierrasmith71

« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2018, 11:13:50 PM »
Any hope of getting the Photobucket links fixed so we can see the photos?

Thanks in advance
D. Garrison

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal