Author Topic: model boilers  (Read 10632 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: model boilers
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 02:43:12 AM »
I received the PMR Boiler today.
Looks like a very fun project.
It's much bigger than I had thought. The boiler pipe alone is 6.5".
You read the dimensions...but seeing it in real life is different.

Here's a shot of the box and contents.

Here's a shot of the separate parts. The baggie at top right was stuff in the boiler tube.

Inside the baggie were 4 more baggies.
One containing a pre-made safety valve.
One containing the parts for the water level tube.
One containing some solder and liquid flux (zinc chloride and hydrochloric acid).
One containing the rivets and many other odds and ends (including a finishing nail).

Two large sheets of instructions.

I won't start on this for a while. Too much of a distraction from Spinster. (The Dynamo on the other hand looks fun and quick.)

When I do start this, I'll start a thread and repost the pictures.

I do worry a bit about the size of the parts. I just have a mini-lathe. But I suspect others have done this on a similar lathe. Should be okay.

Looks like a great beginner's project and to Marv's point reduces the anxiety of building something that's certainly much more than a toy.

I also got the PMR Dynamo the other day. I won't post the pictures of it yet. There's not that much to it and Marv's shot below pretty much tells the story. I'll have pictures of the contents when I start that thread.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 06:54:45 AM »
Looks like a great project! I might have to do one of these; I wonder if it's big enough to drive my Stuart No. 4.

Simon

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 11:29:26 AM »
I remember Stuart Models since I was a kid. I think seeing their kits and models was part of the reason I got interested in machining (along with Opi, science museums in Europe, and scads of English model magazines I read during my wonder years).

But I'm not that familiar with specific Stuart model types and wanted to see a No.4. I came across this...

http://www.modelstationarysteamengine.com/Stuart%20engines.html

It shows a No.4. 10" tall with a 5" flywheel. Quite large in my world!

The boiler comes with a 60 PSI safety valve. I have no experience with boilers and hence no idea how long it would run or any other operational specs.

I hope some others can pop in to answer your question and provide any other bits of information.

BTW As Marv mentioned, the instructions show how to make the riveting tools and how to use them.

The kit is about $150. A bargain for me as it saves a lot of time gathering the needed (I suspect, difficult to get) material and includes a pre-made safety valve.

I worry a little about screwing up a part but if I recall correctly, other people have reported being able to order the odd replacement part from PMR. I don't remember if it was because the original part was bad or if the part was made unusable in machining it. I'm hoping it's possible to get individual parts if needed. A look at my 'wall of learning' and I'm praying it's possible.

"To work. To work."

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 11:51:55 AM »
Simon, the PRM website gives some guidelines on their models which are appropriate for each of the two boilers they offer. In your case which according to Zee's link has a 1.5x1.5 bore and stroke, it would require the larger of the two pmr boilers (the horizontal one). Note however that they say that even the larger boiler will not run their #4 or #6 engines which have a 1.5"bore x2.5" stroke. I'm sure if you contact them they can advise if the stuart #4 is within the range of the larger  (#2) boiler, or if it would be marginal.  Hope that helps.

Bill

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 03:14:27 PM »
Hi Zeepster,

You are going to be pleased with that boiler kit I think. The quality of the parts are excellent and the drawings are very clear as well. PMR will sell/provide  replacement pieces, whether it is due to a defect or the result of one of those "oh crap" moments hat we all seem to encounter from time to time. I've had many dealings with PMR since they began selling model engines and such and have nothing but good things to say about them. There were no hassles or BS, just friendly, good customer service.  :ThumbsUp:

BC1
Jim

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 04:52:14 PM »
The dynamo is indeed a quick build but one caution...

The two endbells provide the bearings for the armature.  Each endbell is bolted separately to the body of the dynamo.  It's important that the bearings are properly aligned so that the armature will turn freely once assembled.

There are numerous techniques by which this alignment can be accomplished.  Be sure to carefully think through your machining sequence before making chips.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline rleete

• Rochester, NY USA
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 05:44:54 PM »
Dammit Zee!  I see you posting here, but no updates to the Spinster.  This is NOT acceptable!   :hammerbash:

Put the boiler aside, get back in the shop and get the spinning wheel project back underway.  :thewhip:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 11:00:04 PM »
Thanks Jim. I had gotten that impression of PMR. Good to know I have more economical means to replace my mistakes.

Thanks for the caution Marv. Well worthwhile for me.

rleete! I'm lucky to get some machine time once a week. Last night all I managed was hacking two pieces of aluminum stock and trimming the end of one. The boiler is in the box. I'll admit I've opened it three times to peer in. Can't start the boiler until the Spinster is done.
"To work. To work."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal