Author Topic: model boilers  (Read 10595 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
model boilers
« on: September 23, 2012, 11:17:22 PM »
For my next project...way way in the future it seems by how fast Spinster is moving...I'm thinking I need a   boiler.

I'm not ready to consider a scratch build and instead would like to find a suitable kit if such a thing exists.

The engine it will drive is small. The flywheel probably along the lines of 3" diameter..maybe up to 5".

Does anyone have any experience with the PM Research vertical boiler? Or even horizontal?
Do you have suggestions for other vendors/manufacturers?
Detail in the model would be great.

If it helps any, the engine will drive a PM Dynamo that will in turn light up an LED.

Thanks for the help.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
Re: model boilers
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 12:21:59 AM »
I built the PM vertical boiler...

It should be more than adequate for the engine you describe.

Some things you should know...

It's not silver soldered.  The end pieces are riveted in place and silver-bearing solder is used to seal the joints.  The rivets provide the strength.  The firetubes are also soldered.  This approach is easier than the typical silver soldered approach but, being less traditional, may not satisfy you.

I fire mine with Sterno but it would be more convenient to build a gas burner.

You'll need to buy or make a lot of accessories... such as feed pump, valves, whistle, water gauge.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 05:14:28 PM by mklotz »
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 02:04:45 AM »
Thanks Marv. And that's a nice looking job there.

You'll need to buy or make a lot of accesories... such as feed pump, valves, whistle, pressure gauge.

Sigh. Always something more isn't there? Don't you love it!
"To work. To work."

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 12:15:56 PM »
Marv, would there be any benefit to to using true silver solder as opposed to the silver bearing solder supplied with the kit?  This is another kit I have had aging for some time and would like to get around to making it one of these days.

Bill

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 05:45:21 PM »
I got interrupted yesterday by a herd of grandchildren so let me continue here.

There isn't a lot of machining to be done on the boiler and what there is is straightforward.  It's the riveting of the boiler shell that represents the biggest challenge.  The tools to set the rivets are not supplied with the kit.  You make those yourself.  They're not very complicated.

When you do the riveting be certain to wear hearing protectors.  I didn't and my ears rang for days afterward.

The PM dynamo will power something a lot more impressive than an LED.  Mine powers a 3 volt flashlight bulb more brightly than the flashlight batteries. 

Zee,

Yeah, there's always something else.  I forgot to mention that you'll need a displacement lubricator for your engine as well.  Oh, I checked the PMS site and the water gauge is included with the boiler.  I had forgotten that.  So, there's one less thing you have to buy/make.

Bill,

I see no real benefit to using silver solder.  As mentioned, the solder is used as sealant and does not provide the mechanical strength as in more conventional boilers.  If one were to run the boiler at very high pressures one might benefit from the higher melting point of the silver solder but this is a small boiler meant to be operated at low pressure.  The boiler is supplied with a safety valve set to blow at 60 psi.  At that pressure the water temperature is only 307 degF so the solder melting point isn't a big issue.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 11:10:40 PM »
Thanks Marv. I think I'll give it a try. As for those tools...do the instructions indicate what the tools look like or even how to make them? Mainly curious. I'll dive in anyway.

Thanks for asking that question Bill. I was wondering myself.
"To work. To work."

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 12:15:02 AM »
Yes, it does show what the tools should look like.  When/if you get to that point, give me a shout and I'll take some photos of the ones I made.  There's really not much to them.  [Rivets are pretty simplistic fasteners.]

Incidentally, I built that boiler for exactly the same reasons that drive you towards it.  I wanted to get my feet wet boiler building but didn't want to go directly to the make-everything-from-scratch approach.  Also, I wanted something low pressure that had been designed by someone more boiler savvy than I.  My guess was that, if PMR was willing to sell it in our litigious society, there's a good chance I wouldn't end up building a bomb.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 04:35:04 PM by mklotz »
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 01:35:12 AM »
Thanks Marv.

I went ahead and ordered it. Now I'll have the dynamo and boiler sitting on my desk staring at me and daring me to make them. Some extra motivation to finish the Spinster.

Yep...that's the plan. Finish the Spinster and then start on them. Yep...that's the plan.   :naughty:
Well...I WILL finish the Spinster. But forgive me if I play with the other projects at the same time.

Won't be able to do much with them anyway. No engine.  :ShakeHead:
"To work. To work."

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 12:03:11 PM »
Thanks Marv!!AS you say, the PMR folks have figured all this out so they must be comfortable with it in order to sell them.

Bill

Offline Jack

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 12:21:48 PM »
I built the horizontal version to be able to run some of my little engines on steam.

It's very easy to build and everything is well thought out, it doesn't take that long to accomplish.

When you get it finished be sure to get their whistle a little pricy but what a hoot! Well worth the money! Then when you take your models to the local tractor shows you can blow your whistle at high noon just like the big boys.

Jack  :pinkelephant:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 12:45:02 PM »
Thanks Jack. I'd eyed that horizontal. But it's another $70. If the vertical works out for me, I may yet get that one too. For whatever reason, a horizontal boiler seems more traditional or 'real'. I suppose because that's what I came across first as a kid.

South of St. Louis eh? I was just in St. Louis visiting family. My old stomping grounds are down by Springfield.
"To work. To work."

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 02:37:53 PM »
Carl - I'd sure like to see you build one of these. Then I can follow your lead :happyreader:

Steve

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 04:54:53 PM »
I paired my PMR dynamo with Elmer's #44...

http://www.john-tom.com/ElmersEngines/44_openTwin.pdf

It's a good combination.  The engine is powerful enough, even on air, to run the dynamo at a good clip.  The engine is single acting so you only need to build one valve assembly to feed both cylinders.  I like it too because it has a much more "industrial" look than an oscillator to match the appearance of the generator.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 10:21:55 PM »
Here are the riveting tools you need to make...

The long bucking bar [experienced riveteers are encouraged to correct my terminology] goes in the bench vise and holds a removable form that supports the head of the rivet inside the boiler cylinder.  The setter (?) with the simple hole then fits over the projecting rivet shank and forces the plates to be riveted together.  Then the remaining setter with the hemispherical depression is used to form the head of the rivet, securing all in place.

All the tools are made from drill rod/silver steel and their working ends are hardened.  Very straightforward stuff.

I annealed all the (copper) rivets before using them.  I don't know if that was necessary but it can't have hurt.

Ok, Zee, I've hijacked your thread enough.  I'll go sit in my corner now.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 10:41:26 PM »
Thanks very much Marv. That will be helpful.

Ok, Zee, I've hijacked your thread enough.

No hijack here. This thread has exceeded my hopes.

I'll go sit in my corner now.

Sure sure. We all believe that. You? Sit in a corner?
That'd be a shame. Come out come out wherever you are.
"To work. To work."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal