Author Topic: Fowler 16 HP Ploughing Engine circa 1879  (Read 7396 times)

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Fowler 16 HP Ploughing Engine circa 1879
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 07:42:24 PM »
Not as big as the Superba castings I have tucked under the bench for a rainy day :)

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2017, 07:49:31 PM »
Not as big as the Superba castings I have tucked under the bench for a rainy day :)

The 16HP was not far short of the Superba in size but did certainly not have the same amount of 'grunt'.

Who's Superba castings do you have?

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 08:15:00 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 08:20:38 PM »
Mike I did not know you were a traction engine man

A Steam Plough is not just a Traction Engine :facepalm: :ShakeHead:

It is a totally different type of engine  :Love: :embarassed:

Jo

Quite right Jo

A Steam Ploughing Engine is much, much more than just a traction engine.

I guess your BB1 is on 'hold' until you have fully recovered and the strength returns

Mike

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 08:47:48 PM »
Mike, I think my castings may have originated from Blackgates though I got them from Adrian via Italy at a very good price so hard to say no. Not sure how many of teh castings I will use as Haining's designs are probably best described as "stand off" scale (with squint and guide dog in some cases)

I think traction engine is a broard description which you can then divide up in to Agricultural, Road Loco, Tractor, Ploughing, Stump puller, Roller, etc.

If I do make another engine I may not go for the Superba as I have a soft spot for the class "TE" farmers engine which is a bit of a hybrid of agricultural engine and ploughing engine, could even do it at 3" scale which would only be a couple of inches longer than a 2" Superba. I know Alan at MJ Eng would like me to make a pattern for a 3" compound block as he only does one for the 2" . It would also allow me to make a vine plough rather than those common balance ploughs ;)

Have you seen my A7 ?

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2017, 09:12:07 PM »
Wow - that is quite a bit of machinery - thanks for that photo!

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2017, 10:29:52 PM »
Not sure how many of teh castings I will use as Haining's designs are probably best described as "stand off" scale

Jason,
I know what you mean about the questionable accuracy of John Haining's designs. My 16HP was one of his designs, published in Model Engineer magazine in the early 1980's. At the time I did not know better but they did serve to get me started into learning about what to do in a workshop and into model engineering. Colin Tyler was Haining's patternmaker and I believe that is what went to Blackgates. I did not fancy Tyler's castings, so I fabricated the hornplates, axle boxes, winch drum etc. I made the patterns for the cylinder and gears. The foundry works was done at the Bridport Foundry via the original MJ Eng before they sold out to Alan. Malcolm, the M in MJ Eng, lives just up the road from me.

Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal