Author Topic: A Minor Hurricane problem.  (Read 2023 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
A Minor Hurricane problem.
« on: August 10, 2017, 02:08:07 PM »
Back in the war years there were a number of interesting planes around and one of these was the Hurricane. At the same time the intrepid model plane enthusiasts continued making and designing model engines. The engines from the early years are rare as engine technology advanced rapidly during the war years so castings for them equally rare so when my Supplier admitted to having some "spare castings"  one had to check them out  :naughty:.

Sadly while there was one complete set but I was not allowed them  :disappointed: but I was allowed the partial set and could "borrow" the missing "Minor" part for a couple of days for a fondle  :embarassed:

A piece of Ali was found on the come in handy pile and milled to the same size as the casting and H put a scallop in the side. The face of the casting was fettled flat  :-X and used to draw round to give the profile, which H then roughed out. The finishing was done with a file.

So now the original casting can go back to my Supplier and all I have to work out is how to age the bit of Ali to get that nice dull colour :noidea: So that was the "Minor"'s problem... Did I mention the "Major" one  >:D

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
Re: A Minor Hurricane problem.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 03:27:17 PM »
Jo

You will have to stop fondleing the casting you could get arrested for that :mischief:

Just how many project have you on the go during you R&R ?

Hope you are getting your mojo back

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: A Minor Hurricane problem.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 03:46:24 PM »
Just how many project have you on the go during you R&R ?

I am only working on the vertical Stuarts and the Atom Minor. This was a rush job before the missing casting was snaffled back by its owner  :-\.

Recovery is up and down: I am finally allowed to drive again but the area around where they operated is still swollen so more than about 10mins drive becomes uncomfortable and causes more swelling  :wallbang: (When someone else is driving I can sit with the seat pushed back and that is much easier) I also have no stamina  :-[ If someone visits after about 2 hours of their visit I need to go and have a one hour rest  :toilet_claw: I am going to try Popham on Sunday and see how I get on with looking round the airfield - I have been promised that there are lots of places to sit down  :noidea:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal