Author Topic: Coleman Fuel  (Read 858 times)

Offline RayW

Coleman Fuel
« on: August 08, 2017, 08:24:06 PM »
Has anybody any experience of running model glowplug engines on Coleman fuel as an alternative to petrol or LPG?
I ask because I am thinking of changing from propane to a liquid fuel on my Otto and I hear that Coleman fuel is a less smelly alternative to petrol.
I see, however, that it is massively more expensive, in the region of 8 per litre as opposed to pump petrol at around 1.13 per litre, so wondering if it is really worth paying out so much more for it.
I have requested plans of Jan Ridders' vapour carb so need to decide what fuel to use.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Coleman Fuel
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 08:37:50 PM »
I've not run a permanently powered glow plug engine on it but use it on all my hit & miss, spark ignition 2-stroke and 4-stroke engines. As I keep my engines in the house there is no lingering smell of petrol and I can't detect any difference on how they run compared with petrol.

Unless you run your engines a lot then price does not come into it much, Aspen is a bit cheaper and I have heard that works well too should be able to find that in a good garden centre or mower shop. Both have a longer shelf life than petrol.

Little jam jar will do for a vapour carb. Two holes in the lid, tube in one to let the air in and take that to the bottom of the jar, short pipe on the other stopped above fuel level and use that to feed to the engine. Or if you have a RC clunk tank just connect the opposite way round so air goes in via the weighted tube and out the vent/filler
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 08:41:32 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 01:30:28 AM »
I use Coleman fuel (naptha gas) in all of my i.c. engines. I have never ran lpg nor Propane, but I have ran my engines on "pump gas". Pump gas stinks to high heaven. Coleman fuel doesn't.

Online b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 01:37:35 AM »
Same here with about 2% marvel mystery oil mixed in.

Bill

Offline DD805

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 06:25:37 PM »
I used to run my engines on propane but a few years ago I switched to Coleman fuel and am quite happy with it. Expensive, yes, but worth it as a gallon can lasts for two to three years. Far safer than petrol and very little odor.

Karl

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 10:18:34 PM »
I run racing fuel (110 octane) instead of coleman. It smells way better and costs about half what coleman does in the states. If the smell is your only concern you can also try adding scents. I have used the grape and had a little kid convinced that my engine ran on grape juice. Haven't tried any other flavor.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Power-Plus/Power-Plus-Fuel-Additives/2784360/10002/-1
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Online b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 12:00:55 AM »
Hmmmmm....bubble gum scented fuel  :o. No thanks, I prefer the smell of burnt hydro-carbons in the morning!! Gets the juices flowing  :)

Bill

Online Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 02:54:41 AM »
Hmmmmm....bubble gum scented fuel  :o. No thanks, I prefer the smell of burnt hydro-carbons in the morning!! Gets the juices flowing  :)

Bill

Yes........but how about G & T scented fuel Bill?

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Online 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 03:52:46 AM »

Yes........but how about G & T scented fuel Bill?

Jim
[/quote]

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Online b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 12:47:25 PM »
I might be persuaded by a G&T but only after 5pm  :lolb:

Bill