Author Topic: Cletus went tool shopping  (Read 3985 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Cletus went tool shopping
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 11:33:50 AM »
Saweeeeeeeet!!

GoodOnya mate!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 11:35:59 AM »
Actually, I don't think I've ever seen a NEW Starrett surface gage!    And I have 4 of them!.....2 of them are older than my Dad would be.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 03:02:42 PM »
Congratulations,

Good tools are always worthwhile.

I use a surface gauge from time to time: If it was a Starret I would probably use it more often.

ShopShoe

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2017, 07:05:43 PM »
Thanks y'all for looking in. Phil, the Lister site is the one that Adv was so kind to let us use for third party posting of pictures after PhotoBucket gave us the shaft (bastards). Art, I've had the bottle oil for years, lasts forever and is good stuff. I did spring for a spray can of M1 from Starrett. I've used it from some samples before and it's great also. Now the Lista drawers that I splashed for as Jason said, came from a NASCAR racing team that lost their sponsorship. I bought five of them in various sizes, with the smallest being about 32'" wide and the largest two are 48" . Fastenall had just stocked the two large ones with all Grade 8 hardware in NC and NF from 1/4" thru 3/4" in lengths from 1/4"-3" . There were also matching flat and lock washers along with standard and Nylalock nuts. There is also a section of bolts and nuts meant for safety wiring, not to mention the tons of braided stainless hoses and fittings and other race car related small parts. I gave $800 for the lot which also included an engine hoist and six 8 ton jack stands. I may not be too smart, but, I ain't stupid  :lolb: :lolb:. Jason, man you sound like some of my drinking buddies  :stickpoke: :lolb: :cheers:. Summer is one of my busiest times of the year, so not much engine work, although I did get the Red Wing painted just today. Actually, this time of year about all I have time for is a little tool polishing and being a married man of thirty years, I'm used to it  8). Well, for all of you that understand, thanks: for all of you that think I'm crazy; I understand  :lolb: :cheers:. Y'all come see us.

Cletus
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 04:24:10 PM by Tennessee Whiskey »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2017, 09:39:51 PM »
Damn Dog you sure know how to make a man jealous. Nice to see some fine tooling my brother but then we got to us them you do know that huh? :lolb: nice my brother and hope you get plenty of enjoyment from them. Of coarse you do know not to use them on the pit when cooking right...... :lolb:

Don  :cheers:

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2017, 10:41:35 PM »
Thanks Don. No, I'd never go near the pit with them. As a matter of fact, I've started having a few odd paying (very low paying mind you) jobs from some antique tractor guys, an automotive restoration shop, and a big corporate farming operation. Maybe someday when I decide to put the BBQ fire out for good, I can pay the utilities at the old shop. With the way crap is happening, I just hope it isn't for a wartime effort   :facepalm2:. Tell everybody down yo way that I said how they doing. 

Cletus

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2017, 12:00:56 AM »
Nothing like the smell of new Starrett tools!
I have the same height gauge but about 50 years older.
Covering the Lista cabinets but the shop is so full I'd have to put it in the living room.
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Cousin Vern
Best,
Stan

Offline kvom

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2017, 12:21:37 AM »
Stan is alive! 

Lista cabinets are big bucks.  Definitely have cabinet envy.  Tool envy not so much.   8)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2017, 12:22:43 AM »
Hey Stan, good to see you  :cartwheel:

Bill

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2017, 01:05:53 AM »
Thanks Don. No, I'd never go near the pit with them. As a matter of fact, I've started having a few odd paying (very low paying mind you) jobs from some antique tractor guys, an automotive restoration shop, and a big corporate farming operation. Maybe someday when I decide to put the BBQ fire out for good, I can pay the utilities at the old shop. With the way crap is happening, I just hope it isn't for a wartime effort   :facepalm2:. Tell everybody down yo way that I said how they doing. 

Cletus

Careful what you ask for Eric, I did that about 30 years ago and it still keeps me busy in the home shop most weekends.
Stan it good to see that you aren't pushing up daises.  :lolb:

Dave

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2017, 01:12:27 AM »
My main man Stan!

How ya doing bud?!

Dave
Damned ijjit!