Author Topic: Card Models  (Read 5927 times)

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Re: Card Models
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 09:26:21 PM »
Hi Tom,
I must warn you though. The hobby is quite infectious.

Almost as much as model engineering!

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 10:47:43 PM »
Yes, they do get very addictive. This is what I am currently working on ... it's 6 ft wingspan when done. I have the repaint files for the Canadian version.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 11:20:31 PM »
Must...look....away.....

Thinking about card models got me thinking about a card model of one of my favorite WWI aircraft. I don't know why that popped up in my mind.
And then I made the mistake of looking to see if they're available.
I really don't need such a distraction now. I've put the idea in my 'someday' folder (which I rarely review for the very fear I mentioned).  ;D

WWI is a fascination for me. The introduction of many terrible weapons of war and horrendous waste and damage but technology too that led to many of the (non-destructive) things we enjoy today.

The aircraft is the Albatross D-Va. One of the most beautiful machines I've seen.

But that's me and my history  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2017, 12:07:57 AM »
I feel I should mention Fiddlers Green, which has simple paper models (mostly aircraft) that can be downloaded, printed, and built. The prices are very reasonable.
The models are small, most fitting on an 8.5x11 sheet, but once downloaded, they can be scaled up using something like Photoshop or Gimp. I have scaled up a couple. Add some nose weight for balance, and they may even fly!

As I said, these are simple models, and you won't get results like J.L no matter how hard you try. But it's a great way to get your feet wet and see if you like this kind of modelling..

And Z, they have the Albatross D5a for $4.95.. Print it and build it up in a few hours. Then do it again...

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/

--Tim

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 12:55:00 AM »
I feel I should mention Fiddlers Green, which has simple paper models (mostly aircraft) that can be downloaded, printed, and built. The prices are very reasonable.
The models are small, most fitting on an 8.5x11 sheet, but once downloaded, they can be scaled up using something like Photoshop or Gimp. I have scaled up a couple. Add some nose weight for balance, and they may even fly!

As I said, these are simple models, and you won't get results like J.L no matter how hard you try. But it's a great way to get your feet wet and see if you like this kind of modelling..

And Z, they have the Albatross D5a for $4.95.. Print it and build it up in a few hours. Then do it again...

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/

--Tim

Ah Tim. You are no help.  ;D That was the first site I hit when I took a gander to see if there were card models of the Albatross.
I must look away.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2017, 02:32:26 AM »
Fellows,

If you are into aircraft card models, have a scroll down through the construction of this aircraft built by a close cyber friend Ricardo. He's perhaps one of the finest card modellers around. He lives in Portugal.

http://www.die-kartonmodellbauer.de/index.php?thread/2648-curtiss-p-40e-halinski-1-33/

Cheers...John
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 12:15:50 PM by J.L. »

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2017, 11:31:32 AM »
John, he is indeed a master of his craft.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 05:37:32 PM »
Card models can also be made from aluminum beverage cans .
I have a first edition copy of this book very interesting.
https://www.amazon.com/Scale-Models-Soda-Cans-Complete/dp/B00GBMR220

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal