Author Topic: Lathe Stand Updates - cose I just can't leave well enough alone  (Read 7612 times)

Offline Joco

After taking the lathe off the stand and doing some checks I came to the conclusion I wanted to allow a more easy flood coolant setup.  Something where I wasn't going to end up having to use sealants under the lathe feet to stop leaks.  The answer was a tray which sat under the lathes mounting points.

Concept design:
[youtube1]https://youtu.be/1IN6Oby7aDg[/youtube1]

Tray built and stitch welded.

Put in place and held with clamps.

Next will be to seal all the seams, put mounting tabs on the stand, drill drainage for the tray and plumb up a recirculating coolant system.

Cheers,
J
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:30:34 PM by Joco »
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: Lathe Stand Updates - cose I just can't leave well enough alone
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 11:21:12 AM »

Hi James, that is really nice work and a smart idea.

Thomas
Thomas

Offline Joco

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 08:36:49 PM »
I finished TIG welding out all the seams last night after advise not to use sealant.  After letting this cool down I put water into the tray to do a leak test.   No initial leaks!   :ThumbsUp:

I then left things for about 30 mins and felt along all the seams other than cool meal no dampness.   So I think I have a leak free tray.    :whoohoo:

Next stop is drilling for drainage, setting up required hosing and painting.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 09:43:05 AM »
Just a pic of welded tray.  Cose there can never be too many pics.  Notice the marble which shows the lowest point for drainage.

James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 11:12:48 AM »
I knocked up some brackets from leftover 2mm sheet from the tray and some 25x3mm flat.  These will get welded onto the stand and act as supports/slides for the flood tray.

Cheers,
J.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 12:25:40 PM »
Bit of a big update from efforts over the last number of days.

Brackets welded on the lathe.

The tray setup on the lathe before drilling the drain, attaching the drip pipe and painting.

The drip pipe under the drain. It's stainless pipe and not having any correct filler rod I decided to try my hand at TIG brazing.  So out with the silicone bronze to see what I could manage.  Not great but not a disaster either and it seems to have no holes.

Painting the flood tray. Nothing very original here, had a pot of rapid dry enamel black so thats what was used.

Lathe back on stand and ready to start tuning again while setting the flood tray etc in parallel.

Cheers,
J.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 05:35:59 PM »
James, that looks really nice!  Very professional!  And probably way more sturdy than many of the commercial stands too.
You should feel pretty good about your lathe stand.  :ThumbsUp:
Kim

Offline Joco

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 09:54:44 AM »
The stand starting to look like its old self.   Need to get on to the coolant side of things and will document that for those interested.

James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 09:04:36 AM »
Some updates to the lathe stand.

[1] Boxed in 3 sides with 19mm plywood.  This has a benefit of keeping swarf and "crap" out of the shelves better but most importantly it added a massive amount of rigidity to the stand.  Really surprising amounts.  If I was doing this all from scratch I would incorporate 2mm steel sheet in the mix as well as a method to added wheels on slide in box section. Maybe one day if I get really enthused.

[2] Added a riser to the splash back.  This will prevent stray drops going behind the lathe and also provides a convenient area to stop tool holders and other items on.

Cheers,
J.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 11:59:34 AM »
That is quite a transformation Joco. Yes, please document your work on the coolant system as well if you don't mind.

Bill

Offline Joco

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 08:45:48 AM »
The name of this update was to provide toolholder storage.  I wanted them more easily accessable BUT not in a position that would have me reaching over the chuck. This holder style is not new as I have seen other doing the same type of thing.  It's basiclly 50mm Ali alngle cut into 40mm wide sections. The have them all mounted on a strip of woood.

The result all finished and mounted up.

Spacer at the bottom to provide some angle on the holder.

The top mount using 25x25mm ali angle.

Bungie over the toolholders when not using the lathe.  Down here in NZ the earth tends to rock and roll a bit so anything that can be shaken off really should have some kind of restrain on it. And I really dont want these heavy holders falling down onto the lathe.

General overview of the lathe and the growing set of improvements.

Cheers,
James
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 05:07:00 PM »
James,

The tool holder rack is brilliant, love the bungee restraint too  :ThumbsUp:.  Will be stealing some of these ideas when I start building up my mini-mill stand.  BTW, your weld table looks a lot like mine, but have you roasted one of your quick-clamps by putting it a bit too close to the weld area?  Those little yellow pads when on fire are hard to put out, ask me how I know  :Lol:

Offline Joco

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 07:03:25 PM »
Bent - no fires but a couple of melted pads had me buying sets of all metal quick clamps.    :embarassed:

The welding table is ok in that its portable and can be folded away but its a bit on the flimsy side and not “flat”. I would love a cert-flat fab block.  Just no space to put one plus I need a foldable solution.

This gentleman (Stefan on mig-welding.co.uk) has a design I’m very tempted to try.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/attachments/streben1-jpg.6657/

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/attachments/geklappt2-jpg.6674/

See Stefan’s thread at: http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/fold-up-welding-table.9318/
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 11:31:09 PM »
I hear you.  The fold away option from Hazard Fraught (aka Harbor Freight, our Chinese tooling importer here stateside) has worked for me so far.  I have a 1" thick by 12" square chunk of cast alumin(i)um tooling plate (ground flat and parallel on the 12x12 faces) that I use to weld stuff REALLY square, but most of the time "more or less squarish" works.

I had visions of me laying under that uk guy's welding table after it collapsed on me trying to fold/unfold  :ShakeHead: ...then spotted the cylinder he uses to jack it up - makes more sense now.  That is pretty stout.  Maybe someday.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 12:52:38 AM »
James, that turned out to be a very nice set up!! Not just the tool holder addition, but the whole thing. Should be enjoyable to use now as well.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal