Author Topic: Boiler Cladding  (Read 2595 times)

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
Boiler Cladding
« on: August 06, 2017, 10:50:00 AM »
Hi Guys & Girls,
 The attached picture is the inside of the club "sauna" aka the "shed" where we have as you can see a Tangey engine. The boiler in the back ground is an X dry cleaners boiler it is insulated & is aluminum clad to keep all neat & tidy. Some years ago I had some timber ripped down to clad the boiler, It is Rimu a New Zealand native that has a nice warm colour to it when used in furniture.

So fast forward to the last couple of weeks & my Dad & one of the other guys decided that it was time to do something about putting the timber on the boiler, which I hear is starting to look very nice....I promise I'll post again when it's complete! Any way during the install the discussion got around to what to use on the timber in the way of a protective coating, this ranged from nothing to well something!

So the question is what does the collective wisdom suggest we do or don't put on the timber? Any suggestions on edging the cut outs for the various fittings, or do the guys just do a great job with there finishing?
The boiler by the way is diesel fired, so little or no issue of flames escaping.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Nick_G

Re: Boiler Cladding
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 11:06:49 AM »
What a fantastic 'playroom'  :)

I would say yes to cladding it. But somehow I think the trick would be to make it look aged and distressed so that it fitted in with the feel of the rest of the room.

Perhaps next time you do an oil change in your car is to save the dirty oil and apply it to the wood cladding a few times over several months.???

Nick

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 11:26:20 AM »

Boy what a nice "shed". I would leave the wood untreated "as is" and let it naturally age with time.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 01:24:20 PM »
I would think an oil finish such as Danish oil would do the job, not too glossy and will allow the wood to breath a bit.

I'll have to get you to take a few dimensions and photos of the Colonial as I fancy making one from scratch. I have had a video/gif of it bookmarked for a while now

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 07:32:36 PM »
Hi guys,
 Thanks for the ideas so far! Yes it gets a lot of questions asked about the engine when it's running, along the wall on the left are smaller models of various types that can be run as well. Next time I'm down at the club I'll take some more photos & post up.

Jason,
 No problem taking measurements. I've got a video of t running, but don't have a YouTube account so can't post it here.

Cheers Kerrin

ChuckKey

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 09:45:03 PM »
It seems to be quite an attractive wood. For a natural finish I would use linseed or tung oil. Varnish would preserve the 'new' look longer. For practicality, paint would be more durable than varnish. Is the boiler out of doors?

Offline ClaytonFirth

• Brisbane, Australia
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 10:35:28 PM »
+1 for using danish oil. Will give a nice finish and allow the boiler to age.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 12:07:35 PM »
Hi Guys,
 Thanks for more input!

ChuckKey,
 The shed has a roller door that is closed & locked when the site is unattended.

No progress over the last weekend, Dad decided that rain & electricity (power tools) wasn't a good mix so stayed home & played in his workshop

Cheers Kerrin

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 06:09:13 AM »
Hi Guys & Girls,
 Well Dad & his side kick have made progress on the boiler lagging! All but finished, the team decided to go for a matt polyurethane finish, first coat is on.
So photo 1 the boiler & photo 2 the whole setup. Still a bit to do but the guys are getting there!

Cheers Kerrin

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 12:50:57 PM »
Hi Kerrin, in the days before I started with this metal stuff I was into wood turning, and used a lot of Rimu. Linseed or similar is good, or cooking oil, used that for kitchen ware.
If you wood is well matured, and you plan to use brass wood screws to attach brass bands around the boiler, drill the wood and fit with STEEL screws first, then put in the brass screws, the Rimu gets a bit hard, and if you don't screw the head off the screw you at least stand agood chance of burring the slot. It's a good tip for fitting brass screws in anything that's got to look good.
Ian S C

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 10:30:52 PM »
Hi Ian,
 Thanks for the tip on the screws! Yes the rimu is well seasoned! It was shelving from a couple ago houses....hope that makes sense....built in 70's! I had it ripped down for this project over 20 years ago! Good things take time!

Cheers Kerrin

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 11:50:00 AM »
A nice bit of Rimu will look good as cladding, and the flat poly is a good choice.
Just thinking, flat poly sounds a bit Monty Python (dead parrot) :ROFL:
Ian S C

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal