Author Topic: Model Engineers' Day at the Forncett Steam Museum - 1st October  (Read 7086 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Re: Model Engineers' Day at the Forncett Steam Museum - 1st October
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2017, 10:30:30 PM »
No I didn't either Simon I'm afraid - just spent the day talking and talking and talking and taaallllkkkk........ :D Really enjoyed our chats and catch up - great work on that Corrliss.

Despite the slightly dwindling numbers of exhibitors up stairs I felt it was one of the best for some time. Nice to see Willies engine in the flesh and running and to spend time with David - 'DeltaTango' who must have warranted the 'furthest travelled' accolade for many a year. Andrew put in a mega effort to get his heavy metal up (and down) the stairs and had a really informative display so with lots of interested public to chat to who turned out despite the poor weather I think it fair to say 'it wer a 'good 'un''

Had two really super 'on song' runs of one on the Eta engines plus a well bitten finger as a reminder of just what fun it is to get these out of their boxes once a year ::) I think this year was round about my twenty fifth year - looking forwards to quite a few more yet.

Regards - Ramon

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 09:54:48 AM »
Many thanks to Andrew, Simon, Bill, Willy and Ramon for the welcome and all the conversation yesterday at Forncett, I really enjoyed the day out. I took a few pictures but they will have to wait until either I work out how to move and resize them in my tablet or I get home next week.
The standard of the work on display was an inspiration, so thank you all for lugging heavy things up those stairs and enduring the steamy atmosphere all day.
The museum is, without question, the best live steam experience I've found anywhere. The Forncett staff have created a working museum that gets the balance between safety and accessibility just right.

Regards to all, DT
Don't die wondering!

Offline The Idle Fellow

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2017, 09:10:27 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys. It only works if you turn up to exhibit or just visit.
Still hoping someone will post some pictures.
See you all next year, when I hope to be on your side of the table, having managed to find a 'volunteer' to run things.
Best wishes,
Bill.

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 06:32:23 AM »
OK, we're finally back in the land of Oz although still unsure what day of the week it is. I've now downsized a few of the pictures I took so here they are.

Andrew had lugged some heavy lumps of iron and steel up the stairs:

Willy was busy talking:

but his star exhibit was the Beeleigh Mill Woolf Compound. Willy's jumper was all we could find to hide the messy background and you'll have to ask Willy about the temporary balance weight:

I did my best with the details but I really needed the macro lens to do them justice:

Ramon had a table full of brilliant workmanship:

but it was the Southworth Engines Corliss that really caught my eye:

The outdoor aero engine demo went even thought Ramon did get a reminder that those things can bite:

Bill led off the traction engine parade:

but, just in case anyone wanted to argue with his red flag, they followed him up with 25 tons of Fowler ploughing engine:

and then some really beautiful large-scale models:

Many thanks to everyone for the welcome and the conversation. I'm not likely to be there next year, maybe 2019?

Regards, David

Don't die wondering!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 09:55:12 AM »
Hello David, good to hear you are back home safe and sound  :)

As always, it was nice to meet up with the old faces and this year a new one from MEM. As usual Bill did us proud - hope your 'replacement' does as well Bill.

Thanks for posting these pics - a super reminder of a really terrific 'Model Engineers Day Out'. I've been well out of active modelling for most of the last year but this has really fired up the old enthusiasm no end - who knows where that will lead.

I'll look forwards to seeing you there again sometime - perhaps as an exhibitor ?  - now that would be cool, definitely claiming the 'furthest travelled exhibitor award' without any fear of competition.

Really nice to meet you

Regards - Ramon

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 02:22:53 PM »
Hi, DT thanks for all these photos that you have posted !! I have quite a few that i will be posting and you have provide a few that i managed to miss !  I love the one of Bill Starling with the red flag on the bike, Perhaps an enterprising chap could provide a steam powered Bicycle !! but then would you still need an ordinary bike with a red flag in front of that !!! The lead weights on the flywheel was to get the engine over TDC to run on the air line btw. Glad you had a good trip and enjoyed the show......

Willy......

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 03:01:32 PM »
Hi Bill here are some pics and more to come .....

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 03:03:58 PM »
 Hi Willy,

Looks like you had just woke up......thanks for sharing the photos.

Your engine really stands out.

Thomas
Thomas

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2017, 03:17:14 PM »
More pics............

Offline The Idle Fellow

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2017, 08:36:50 PM »
Thanks very much for the pictures, David and Willy. They're great. Perhaps they'll inspire even more of you to join us next year.
I had a meeting at the Cambridge Museum of Technology on Saturday and found the prototype for Willy's model of the Headley beam engine - right foreground of Image 1480 above.
There are lots of pictures of this and the Beeleigh Mill engine on Google, but be warned - if you look for them you may end up spending a lot of time there.
Bill.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 01:22:40 AM »
Thanks for the pictures guys!

Dave

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 01:48:50 AM »
Great photos!

Whats that engine with the round base and flywheels up top, says Wickham Market on the base? Very interesting design, have not seen that before.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 01:26:20 PM »
Great pictures gentlemen, thanks so much for posting these!! Lots of impressive work there   for sure!!

Bill

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2017, 01:35:53 PM »
Thanks for all the photos, I like that Stuart No4 in the last photo with the added detail.

The horizontal flywheeled engine is one of Anthony Mount's designs. They are pullies on top but there is a flywheel in the base

http://www.pollymodelengineering.co.uk/sections/stationary-engines/anthony-mount-models/whitmore-Binyon-Fixed-Engine.asp

I don't think Jo has castings for that one!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2017, 03:00:09 PM »
Thanks for all the photos, I like that Stuart No4 in the last photo with the added detail.

The horizontal flywheeled engine is one of Anthony Mount's designs. They are pullies on top but there is a flywheel in the base

http://www.pollymodelengineering.co.uk/sections/stationary-engines/anthony-mount-models/whitmore-Binyon-Fixed-Engine.asp

I don't think Jo has castings for that one!
Thanks!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal