Author Topic: Model Engineers' Day at the Forncett Steam Museum - 1st October  (Read 7091 times)

Offline The Idle Fellow

May I invite all MEM members within reach of South Norfolk to join us on Sunday 1st October. It should be worth the trip just to see Steam Guy Willy's wonderful Beeleigh Mill engine. However I'm confident that there will be the usual excellent and varied display of models from MEM members and others - including a road run for miniature traction engines.
You are welcome just as a visitor of course, but it would be even better if you'd like to exhibit something. Full details and entry forms from me at: billstarlingbs@gmail.com.
Details of the museum at: www.forncettsteammuseum.co.uk
Hope to see you there.
Bill.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: Model Engineers' Day at the Forncett Steam Museum - 1st October
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 04:28:49 PM »
G' day to you,

I just visited the museum website and the "Exhibit" page. Not only are all the steam engines beautiful and amazing but reading all about them is absolutely a delight.

Living in East Texas prevents me from visiting in person but I surely did enjoy the website tour.

Have a wonderful day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 05:56:57 PM »
Looks like it would be a great excursion Bill. A bit far for me too but their website certainly is enticing!  Hope you will take lots of pictures to share with us on this side of the pond.

Bill

Offline The Idle Fellow

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 11:11:29 AM »
Dear Thomas and Bill,

Thanks for your kind comments. There are better photographers than I am amongst the MEM fellowship. (You know who you are!) I am hoping they will bring their cameras on 1st October.

All the best,

Bill.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 01:02:01 PM »
I will bring my camera and also Clare has a really good camera and the skills to go with it !! do you have a tripod there or should we bring one ?

Willy

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 01:17:27 AM »
Planning to be there on the 1st Oct and I hope to meet up with some others from MEM.
DT
Don't die wondering!

Online sco

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 08:33:49 AM »
I'm signed up - was told I got my form in even before Tug :-)

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline The Idle Fellow

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 03:54:44 PM »
I've been 'off line' for a bit and only just catching up.
Willy - we don't have a tripod, so please bring one if you have it available. (Off topic - I see you learned to sail at Brightlingsea. So did I! Ever come across the Ocean Youth Club?)
Deltatango - all the way from Melbourne? Wow. I know it's a great show, but I hope you're not coming all that way just to see us. Do say hello. I'll be wandering round wearing a badge saying 'Bill'.
In case you are hesitating to exhibit for the first time, although some of our regulars definitely produce work to 'exhibition standard', we like to see first attempts and work in progress too - it encourages the rest of us.
Thinking of our regular exhibitors, the entry forms for one or two of you seem to have got lost in the post (or the ether). Would you mind resending please, just to help my admin?
Hoping to see you there,
Bill.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 04:43:18 PM »
Yes , the ocean youth club.......good fun ..... I was allways  bemused when the deck needed cleaning ..i would say "All scrubbers on deck" then all the girls would run up the gang way !! yes i will bring a tripod will send in the form soon........I went to Hamble  Portsmouth way, too with the OYC and we sailed a lovely french smack ...all mahogany etc It was called Billy Bray......that was in the sixties !!!

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 02:45:49 AM »
Hi Bill,
I will definitely look out for you and other MEM members. The date of the Open Day influenced the timing of the trip but we have friends in and around Cambridge who we haven't seen for a couple of years and friends and family in other parts of the country to visit. I considered putting the Mastiff bits in my bag and showing those but the thought of trying to explain them to a suspicious security officer who had never heard of model engineering has put me off.
See you soon!
DT
Don't die wondering!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 02:10:48 PM »
Hi Guys - it's been such a long time since I even looked in on here but a call from that well known 'lurcher' friend of mine, my old mate  'Modelsteam' this morning finally broke the reverie. He'd phoned to say he isn't able to make Forncett this year and told me about Bill's reminder on here.

So yes I will be there too - a bit late in getting my form in Sco but it's on it's way - spoke to Bill this morning so will be in the usual space  at the top of the stairs (just noticed you sent me a message in January Simon :o as yet unreplied to - oops :-[ -  my apologies indeed.

There's been little done this past year due mainly to the distraction of Sue being home every day now but I have at last discovered enough interest to progressed the Mc Onie a tad to a position of it able to run and made a couple of crankcases for two 5cc diesels - all mainly in the last few weeks. Believe it or not that new mill has even discovered it can make swarf  :o.

I'll look forwards to catching up with you all at Forncett and look forwards to meeting you too DT - hope you have an uneventful journey over here.

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 08:28:00 PM »
Hi Ramon

Glad to hear from you again and that all is well  :cheers:

Since you're making engines and especially diesels again - any change of a build log here  :LittleAngel:

Best wishes

Per

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 08:22:08 AM »
Thanks Ramon, An "uneventful" journey is a definite wish! DT
Don't die wondering!

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 10:14:59 AM »
After a lot of dithering I've finally signed up for the Model Engineers Day. Exhibits wil be parts for my 4" scale SCC Burrell including gears, clack valves and progress so far on the governor. As well as spur, bevel and worm gears for the Burrell I've been experimenting with helical and internal gears, so I'll be showing examples of those too. There will also be some notes and examples of machining tungsten alloys - for the governor balls. Finally I'll have a laptop with machining videos of some of the more unusual techniques.

Note to deltatango: I live near Cambridge, so when you're in the Cambridge area feel free to drop in and talk workshop stuff.  :cheers:

Andrew

Online sco

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2017, 08:31:09 PM »
Fantastic day today at Forncett, the weather was a bit wet at times but spirits weren't dampened.  As usual it was great to catch up with fellow model engineers, look at all the museum exhibits and generally enjoy the laid back atmosphere.

Sorry but I didn't take any pictures - hopefully somebody more diligent will be along shortly,

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal