Author Topic: Thank you for all the help!  (Read 2002 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Thank you for all the help!
« on: August 02, 2017, 05:20:41 AM »
Well, I have finished updating all of my posts to totally disengage from PhotoBucket.  I'm now 100% PB Free!  And that's got to be a good thing, right?  So, if you find any post from me with one of those annoying PB warning pictures, please let me know right away so I can fix it.  I think I got them all, but one may have gotten away!  ;)

But more importantly - and the main point of this message - while I was updating all my old posts from the past 4-5 years, I couldn't help but getting caught up in the saga of each thread I was working through.  I kept having to stop and reread sections of my old build logs.  And I was impressed again and again with HOW MUCH and HOW MANY times all of you have helped me in so many ways over the years.   You've taught me things I'd have never known otherwise, and you've helped me understand things I never even knew to ask!  You have provided safety pointers and even big red warnings when I was about to do something stupid.  So, not only have you educated me, you've kept me safe.  And believe it or not, I value both of those things!

So, this is my post to give you all a BIG thank you!  Thanks for sharing your knowledge, your time, and your energy with me.  Thank you for caring enough to point out things that could be unsafe and hazardous to my health.  And finally, thank you for the great community that we have here where I (and many others) feel safe enough to expose our lack of knowledge so I can learn.  It would not be the same with out each and every one of you.

So have some popcorn and cold refreshments on me.  You deserve it!  :popcorn: :cheers:

I am forever in your debt for the kindness you have shown me.

Thank You!
Kim

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
Re: Thank you for all the help!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 11:47:53 AM »
Hi Kim,

What are you now using instead of PB ?  I've had a warning email from them saying they will stop allowing my images to be put on 3rd party sites but so far that hasn't happened.

Thanks
Peter

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 11:57:28 AM »
Kim, thank YOU and others who have and are going through the tedious task of updating photos due to the PB fiasco. Thanks also for you comments which are right on!!  This forum is nothing without its members and their ability to maintain an open, friendly and helpful atmosphere for all!!

Bill

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 12:11:42 PM »
Kim,
When I got into this hobby there was no Internet so finding help was few an far between. With forums like this and others participating to me is having the ability to learn and more importantly to share.
The old saying "you can't take it with you" sure applies here. If a person's knowledge isn't shared it is wasted.
Thanks for caring enough to post yor message.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 08:38:34 PM »
I also learned a lot from people here and have tried to payback as much as I can in helping others to learn. Thank you Kim for acknowledging it and I to appreciate all the help though the years. I won't be able to do some of the things I have done had I not seen the possibilitys that people had posted.
I am afraid that my threads will be wasted because PB WANT $500 a year to host my photos and I have to many to try to repost and would be very time consuming to do so.

Don

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 11:22:21 PM »
Nicely done Kim. Like you, I am often on the receiving end of help from this forum of fine individuals.
But don't underestimate your contribution either. I've been the recipient of your help and motivation as well.

I started this hobby a few years ago and this forum has been instrumental in keeping me going.

I am interested in Peter's question. What are you using instead of PB?
I tried using it a couple of weeks ago and got too discouraged wading through endless ads and pop-ups. I couldn't even get to my own library.
So I'm done with it.
I'm not past paying for the service but I don't have enough confidence in it. Not to mention the issue that there's no guarantee it will be around. New tools, buy-outs, etc are always happening. True for any service I suppose.

For now I think I'll resort to attachments.

Thank you all.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 12:16:35 AM »
Hi Kim, nice thank you post.

I'm happy to have been part of your journey into machine work and model making.

Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 02:54:23 AM »
Peter & Zee,

I'm using the image hosting that Ade setup for us.  Check this post from Ade for more details: http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,7249.0.html

I have found this to be a great hosting site. It's fast, easy to upload and won't steal your images or charge you.  And it is likely to be around as long as the forum is.

There are a couple of other threads where this has been discussed too.  Like the later part of this one:
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,7269.msg152758.html#msg152758
and this one:
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,7247.msg152102.html#msg152102

Give it a try. If you have any problems, just ask.  Several of us have gotten it to work.

Good luck shaking that old PhotoBucket habit! :)
Kim

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 01:03:37 PM »

I'm using the image hosting that Ade setup for us.  Check this post from Ade for more details: http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,7249.0.html

I have found this to be a great hosting site. It's fast, easy to upload and won't steal your images or charge you.  And it is likely to be around as long as the forum is.

Kim

Thanks, I'll look into that  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal