Author Topic: Atom Minor Mk III  (Read 18873 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Atom Minor Mk III
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2017, 01:08:24 PM »
Thanks Stuart I have never had any complaints about my fondling ability  ::) I would like to see some pictures of your latest model (and your intended  :) )

I find myself having to have another rest  :( so a quick update:

I have gone back to the main crankcase casting and am looking to bore for the cylinder. Originally Westbury suggested doing this on an angle plate on the lathe face plate but that was back in the days when home milling machines were in heard of. Instead I am going to use the mill. He also suggests putting a plug in the middle of the bore. The problem I see with this is the boring bar needs to go below the diameter already cut in the crankcase so the plug would have to be D shaped... So on with doing it on the mill.

The casting was mounted upside down to enable the base of the mounting lugs to be milled flat. Then using these it could be mounted in a vice on parallels and the top milled square to find out how much needs to be taken off. I used a drill through the top of the crankcase bore to enable me to calculate the distance from the centre line of the lower bore to the top of the crank case.  Then it could be milled to height.

Positioning the bore is interesting as a wobbler cannot reach down under the exhaust to centre the casting but it is possible to use the vice faces to find the centre of the casting. Finally the centre line of the bore can be set up - not missing the fact that it is 1.6mm offset towards the exhaust on this engine  :headscratch:

Must go and finish my lay down before I can look to bore the casting  :(

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2017, 02:19:30 PM »
I will see about the pics , may give Adv a pm for the access codes

We will see

The intended. More than one but less than eight , but it don't go brum brum  :stir: 

But there will be a lot to do on the Cnc mill multiple parts you see.

Now go and be a good young lady and have a rest .
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2017, 04:11:49 PM »
The intended. More than one but less than eight , but it don't go brum brum  :stir: 

:noidea:

Time to let Tgs powerfeed do its stuff before drilling and tapping for the cylinder/head bolt threads. The crankcase did a good job of collecting up all the swarf  :)

It is beginning to look a bit more engine like and I have found a bit of yellow stuff to make the next bit out of. My supplier has phoned up with news that he has found spares of the missing two castings... the question is can I wait that long   :thinking:

Jo

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2017, 05:00:49 PM »
It is beginning to look a bit more engine like and I have found a bit of yellow stuff to make the next bit out of. My supplier has phoned up with news that he has found spares of the missing two castings... the question is can I wait that long   :thinking:

If you're still waiting on an answer...here it is. "Yes. Yes you can."

Looking great Jo. So glad to see you at it again.

Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2017, 05:25:34 PM »
You are making remarkable progress on this one Jo, even with the required rest periods :)

Bill

Offline Nick_G

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2017, 06:16:31 PM »
Excellent Jo.  :ThumbsUp: :)

Think I might buy a set of castings and race to to a finish.!  ;) ;) ;)

Nick

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2017, 06:28:42 PM »
Thanks Guys  :)

You are making remarkable progress on this one Jo, even with the required rest periods :)

The required  :disappointed: rest periods give me time to plan the next bit. 

Nick: I thought you were a machine or two short of a workshop   :???:

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2017, 06:31:10 PM »
From what I have heard he has more machines at his disposal than you and your supplier put together :LittleDevil:

It's comming along nicely.

Offline Nick_G

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2017, 08:19:38 PM »
From what I have heard he has more machines at his disposal than you and your supplier put together :LittleDevil:

She would not be interested Jason. - The only casting in that workshop that is worth a fondle is an anvil that is bigger than me an weighs more than most peoples cars. There is also no Mr silky.  :-\

I will try and do a 'workshop walk' video soon.

On a serious note Jo that latest engine is looking good and I am glad to hear / see you back in the driving seat.  :) That is driving your machines and not your car.!  ;)

Nick
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 09:23:51 PM by Nick_G »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2017, 04:23:21 PM »
There is very little to show for today  :(

I started off by turning that bit of yellow stuff down to 25.4mm on one end. This is for 6mm so that it can be held in a collet to turn the bottom of the cylinder again to 25.4mm. This will come down to the required diameter later on.

I then started boring but I have been feeling none too good today so not a good time to be trying to work to high degrees of accuracy  :ShakeHead: and then someone found a new game to occupy himself  :facepalm:

Hopefully I will feel a bit better and get more time tomorrow. And Surus will get bored of his new game  ::).

Jo

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2017, 05:43:32 PM »
Jo,

Sorry to be a pest, but when you said "yellow stuff" I thought bronze; it looks like it's the (paint) color code for some kind of steel bar you're referring to? 

Can you not put something in that elephant's peanut butter to calm him down a bit?  :Jester:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2017, 05:47:12 PM »
Sorry to be a pest, but when you said "yellow stuff" I thought bronze; it looks like it's the (paint) color code for some kind of steel bar you're referring to? 

Yellow paint means it is EN8, same stuff I make crankshafts out of ;)

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2017, 06:28:51 PM »
So how many missing bits of engine has Surus been able to pick up with his new flying saucer?

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2017, 06:58:12 PM »
Jo
 I would have thought you would have used EN 24 T I am sure Mr Silky would like a chew at that ( opps Mr Silky does not Chew at Steel he caresses it into shape ) :stir

Evan my Myford likes to cut that but the short blue chips do fly

engine looking good

should get a couple of pics up for you over the week end

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Nick_G

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2017, 08:31:01 PM »
Jo
 I would have thought you would have used

Stuart
Jo does not 'think' She is influenced and directed by 'The dark side' - Spontaneous automatic subconscious trance like actions between materials, hand movements and Silky.  :o

It is rumored that the demi-god stuffed toy elephant is the interacting conduit transceiver between Jo and higher forces.  :-X

Nick  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal