Author Topic: The Tin Goose restoration. (Ford Tri-Motor aircraft)  (Read 5496 times)

Offline gbritnell

The Tin Goose restoration. (Ford Tri-Motor aircraft)
« on: July 26, 2017, 12:54:09 AM »
A week ago Friday some friends and I took a motorcycle ride. One of the group asked if we had ever dined at the Tin Goose restaurant? The collective reply was no so our ride was to end up at said diner.
The diner is located at the Port Clinton, Ohio airport, Carl R. Keller Field,  so a trip comprised of scenic back roads led us to our destination.
The diner is part of the Liberty Aviation Museum which along with a gift shop houses some very nice aviation and nautical memorabilia. The main focus of the museum is dedicated to the Ford Tri-Motor aircraft.
The tour takes you through the main building then a short walk outside takes you to the restoration area. Inside they are currently working on restoring a WW2 P.T. boat. During our visit the hull was stripped down to the bare frames and work was progressing on several areas at a time. The end goal upon restoration is to use it for passenger excursions on Lake Erie.
In the second half of the building are several aircraft and numerous military vehicles.
A small annex room contains a large display of model aircraft of all sizes and scales.
The main focus in the building is the restoration, or should I say reconstruction, of a Ford Tri-Motor airplane. There were several fellows working on the wing while we toured. A gentleman named Douglas came over and introduced himself as the Chief Mechanic. He asked if we had any questions and was very informative about what was going on with the restoration.
During the course of conversation engines were discussed and one of my friends informed Doug that I actually build engines. He asked me about my work and questioned if I had my own machines, to which I told him I did. He asked if I would be interested in machining a part for the plane and went back to the workbench to gather it up.
The part is a small aluminum housing that holds two gear shafts which only turn about a quarter turn. The housing and cap are rough aluminum castings and need complete machining. I said that I could handle the job and he asked how much I would charge? My reply was I thought that the work was on a voluntary basis and I guess this caught him by surprise, but pleasantly so I might add.
Another of my friends said that completing the job should qualify for a ride when all the tin and bolts were assembled. Doug said that they could probably make that happen.
Names were exchanged and I walked out the door with a job to do.
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: The Tin Goose restoration. (Ford Tri-Motor aircraft)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 01:12:24 AM »
What a nice side trip George, both the motorcycle ride and the new job. Just curious, from a few pilot friends, the FAA is pretty strict as to the "home" production of aircraft parts, especially working parts. Simple bushings or more cosmetic parts are apparently less scrutinized. Are the rules more lax for vintage aircraft? Probably helps if the chief mechanic is certified, which I suspect he is. As I said, just curious, I have no doubt but that your part will exceed the quality of the original.

Hope to see pictures of the project as you get into it.

Bill

Online PJPickard

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 01:13:02 AM »
Well that is pretty cool, good news. I took the Trimotor to Put In Bay with my uncle when I was a kid. Please keep us informed on the progress!

Offline gldavison

• Tarkio, Mo.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 01:23:56 AM »
Of course, you are going to do a build thread on this part fabrication, Right???
Gary
Windows 10 & 11, Alibre Design Pro V27, IntelliCADPro6, CamBam, Mach4, 3D Printers, Cetus, Anet ET5 X
15" South Bend, 10" Logan lathe, Grizzly square column mill, CNC router & Hot wire cutter. Lagun FTV-1 knee mill, Sherline mill & lathe

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 01:45:28 AM »
Nice side project, be interested to see how it goes.

I had never heard of that museum, and will be going by there on Rt 90 in a couple weeks on my way over to Toledo and then Carmel Indiana, it looks like a good place to stop and wander around on the way there (or back, see how the times work out).

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 03:12:28 AM »
What a great visit that turned out to be George! Looks like a win win situation for all.

I concur........a build thread would be great. Come to think of it I guess you've already started one. ;)

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 03:55:51 AM »
That is just pretty cool, George!
Look forward to seeing pics of the build, and of the aircraft its going in.  And of the ride you'll be going on!
Kim

Offline wdeputy

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 09:12:18 AM »
Bill & George,
If no replacement parts exist such as when the manufacturer is out of business, replacements can be produced as required.  I believe the aircraft owner must provide plans, materials or supervise the making of the replacements.  No STC or PMA is needed.  The airworthyness inspection will determine if everything is acceptable.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 09:50:40 AM »
I don't know the regs in USA, but in New Zealand, TVAL, The Vintage Aviator Ltd at Hood aerodrome Masterton builds WW1 aircraft, German and British, and if require through lack of parts build every thing from the prop to the tail skid, and wing tip to wing tip, engine, instruments, machine gun and all. Some of the aircraft have been/are in UK and France at the moment during the centenary of WW1, flying at airshows, and over the battle fields.
Ian S C

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 01:25:00 PM »
George, what an opportunity to contribute to something so interesting.

I rode in a Ford Tri-Motor a few years back when the Experimentail Aircraft Associaton was giving rides here in Indy. It was the most enjoyable airplane ride I've ever taken.

Incidentally, I just checked, and the EAA is booking rides on their  Ford 5-AT-B for August 3-7 in Port Clinton.

For those who might be interested, here's the itinerary for the whole summer:

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/flight-experiences/fly-the-ford-eaa-ford-tri-motor-airplane-tour/ford-tri-motor-tour-stops

--Tim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 02:28:13 PM »
George, what an opportunity to contribute to something so interesting.

I rode in a Ford Tri-Motor a few years back when the Experimentail Aircraft Associaton was giving rides here in Indy. It was the most enjoyable airplane ride I've ever taken.

Incidentally, I just checked, and the EAA is booking rides on their  Ford 5-AT-B for August 3-7 in Port Clinton.

For those who might be interested, here's the itinerary for the whole summer:

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/flight-experiences/fly-the-ford-eaa-ford-tri-motor-airplane-tour/ford-tri-motor-tour-stops

--Tim
Thanks for that link - I am going by there that weekend, but the timing did not work out for a flight. HOWEVER, and even better, I found out that in September they have their B-17 at Youngstown Ohio for tours and flights, just booked myself a flight then! The B-17 is a favorite of mine, got a ground tour of one years ago, but never had a chance to fly in one till now.   :cartwheel:

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 02:52:08 PM »
I don't know the regs in USA, but in New Zealand, TVAL, The Vintage Aviator Ltd at Hood aerodrome Masterton builds WW1 aircraft, German and British, and if require through lack of parts build every thing from the prop to the tail skid, and wing tip to wing tip, engine, instruments, machine gun and all. Some of the aircraft have been/are in UK and France at the moment during the centenary of WW1, flying at airshows, and over the battle fields.
Ian S C

As a little aside. A couple of these Nieuport 11 replicas, that were built at our EAA chapter, were flown over to participate in this event. Well ok..........they were taken apart, put into containers and flown over!  :naughty: https://www.eaa292.org/noon-patrol This was before I moved here.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 12:14:05 AM »
As a fan of Art Deco architecture & stuff, I am loving the outside view of that diner! Is it original, or a modern interpretation?
Cheers,
Ade
--
I'm just a poor old man. I have no time for law-breakers. My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent.

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 02:29:16 AM »
From 1962-1966 I crewed on a 63ft yawl out of Detroit that made many weekend runs to Put-in-bay. At that time Island Air had 3 flying Tris, and I flew them several times, often in the co-pilot seat. It was a terrific experience.

I really liked the boarding procedure. They lined the passengers up single file and let them on one at a time. If you were at the head of the line you could ask the ticket taker to ride up front.  When the last passenger stepped in he would realize there were no more seats. The ticket taker would then step in, close the door, pickup a jump seat from behind and hang it on the door. The last guy got to ride in a seat hung on the door. The ticket guy walked up to the front- a steep climb, got in the pilots seat and flew it.

The 'tickets' were aluminum patches about 3" square painted in several colors. They would announce for all the tickets of a color to board. The pilot kept the aluminum tickets to re-use.

The fuel tank was in the wing, overhead, and there was a glass sight gauge you just looked over your shoulder to see. The outboard engines had their basic instruments- oil pressure, temp and a couple others, mounted on the side of the engine, so you just looked out the window to the engine functions. The control cables for the elevator ran down the outside of the plane. The elevator trim adjustment was made by a long rod running all the way down the overhead of the passenger area. You could see the pilot cranking his arm off to adjust it as he got off the ground.

On Middle bass Island the strip was 1500 ft long, with the terminal building in the center. They would land on one end, then taxi the remaining feet to the center, then just take off from mid-runway. On Rattlesnake Island the strip was only 800 ft- remember, the Tri was hauling 16 passengers and a few mail bags.  One pilot told me of hovering over the airport on a windy day- they could fly down to about 30 mph windspeed

Port Clinton was the main base and they served several Islands, but the major travel was Pt Clinton to Middle Bass. Middle bass had mostly wineries and taverns. I consumed at least one bottle of adult beveridge there, and I carried or dragged many passengers back to our boat after a night of celebration. Sailing home on Sunday with 24 hung over passengers, across about 30 miles of bumpy Lake Erie was often interesting.

It was great fun, and I have often wondered where the Tris went. I will have to stop by there next time I go to Detroit.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 02:48:58 AM »
George,
That sounds like a great project, & I look forward to seeing it's completion. I have to admit to being an airplane engine nut. At an antique store it south west Wisconsin I found a book "The Aviation Legacy of Henry & Edsel Ford". Also being into cars I went up to Road America for the historic races. Waiting on the far side of a curve I heard an engine I swear sounded like my dads Ferguson tractor. Later in the pits I saw the same car. I said to the man working on it isn't that a Curtis 0X5, he (for that moment) dropped everything and said to me, you are the first person that's ever recognized this engine. Now I'll have to figure out if Tin Goose is on our way to my in-laws. :ROFL:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal