Author Topic: Project Wheelie  (Read 4177 times)

Offline Nick_G

Project Wheelie
« on: July 21, 2017, 10:20:24 AM »

OK this is not strictly model engineering but it's still quite small scale and the principles are the same so may be of interest to some here.

My machines are presently installed in my mate Denis's workshop as I had to move out of mine. - Quite a few people offered storage for me until I get a new place sorted in garages, steel containers etc. but I figured they would be kept in best condition in an oily working environment rather than a damp garage or a container full of condensation. ........... Plus I can still use them and have access to all his other machines. (90% of which I have no idea how to use)

Anyway. He has half a dozen static engines that he bought years ago and never done anything with. One of them is a Wolseley that a previous owner had put plastic wheels onto the trolley of. He had bought 4 cast iron billets years ago to make 4 new wheels with but never got around to making them. ........ I said I would.

On strip down it became evident that new axles would also be needed.

The cast iron stock. - Amazing that although they have been dumped on the floor or the workshop for years they show no signs of rust. I don't know where he got the stock from but they must have a very good saw as they were incredibly square and only varied in length 3 thou between the 4 of them.!

Into my little Boxford.

Faced off 8 sides.

Machined a recess into them - Well I have actually only done one so far.!  ;D

Drilled and reamed to 1"

The bored I will make a bearing for to take a 3/4" axle. Probably no bearing on the original but using one will not do any harm and is good practice for me to make. The originals would also probably have had a deeper recess and even possibly also have had holes. But these ones ain't going to do.!  :embarassed:

Nick

to be continued ............

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: Project Wheelie
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 10:44:05 AM »
Looks to be a fun project, great looking ole machine.
Thomas

Offline Nick_G

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 08:22:04 PM »
Looks to be a fun project, great looking ole machine.
It would make a nice model were it not for the water hopper that would be a 'so and so' to fabricate.

Nick

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 10:53:44 PM »
Nice project Nick. Is the engine itself in runnable condition?

Bill

Offline Nick_G

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 09:14:10 AM »
You know, I forgot to ask him. ............ But I sort of presumed so.

I am going to the workshop today so now that you mention it maybe a good idea to find out.  ;D

Nick

Offline Nick_G

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 05:10:15 PM »

Made a 1" mandrel so that I could remount the wheels and get a full pass on the outside. A 16mm thread was cut to hold the wheels secure.

All 4 wheels were turned to 5" diameter.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXsCSkYdrz8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXsCSkYdrz8</a>

And a little chamfer to break each edge and all was good (so far)

Nick

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 05:39:22 PM »
Nice finish too Nick. Looking good.

Bill

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 09:37:53 PM »
Finding this slightly weird, I bought a Wolseley WDII a few months back and also need some wheels for it ... also called Nick G!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal