Author Topic: Loctit 648 information and help  (Read 3547 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Loctit 648 information and help
« on: July 20, 2017, 10:04:42 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have used Loctite thread compound in the past, but never any of the Loctite 648. I read all the specifications on the main spec sheet from Loctite ( I even saved a copy of the pdf ) and the initial cure time on all the graphs appear to start at 2-1/2 to 3 minutes.

Today I machined from brass a new crankshaft for my current project Steam Engine No.4. I had already built one and silver solder it together. I got all the parts laid out and prepared the bottle of Loctite and got extra shop towels and paper towels ready.

OK armed with that knowledge from the spec sheets, I applied a ring around the shaft at the first location and slid on the first lobe. Wiped off a bit of excess and applied a second ring and slid on the second lobe, again wiped off some excess and started to align the two lobes (this has only been 45 seconds to one minute tops) and I almost could not move the second lobe. Fortunately I was able to get it off. The first lobe was STUCK in place and no way of moving it, as it turned out it was in the correct location.

What is the secrete in using this stuff, other than act at the speed of light.???

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Loctit 648 information and help
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 10:10:55 PM »
Other than moving fast, no other option I know of. Thats why I use the 603 retaining compound version for shafts, longer working time before it says 'enough, its staying THERE' on you. Either version can always be removed with heat from a small torch, cleaned (it will leave some goo behind that can be scraped off), and redone.

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 10:33:17 PM »
Other than moving fast, no other option I know of. Thats why I use the 603 retaining compound version for shafts, longer working time before it says 'enough, its staying THERE' on you. Either version can always be removed with heat from a small torch, cleaned (it will leave some goo behind that can be scraped off), and redone.

Thanks Chris,

I will order some of the 603.

I have a 50ml bottle of this 648 and the 680 so I will have to find a use for it somewhere. Haven't tried the 680 but the specs are the same except the 680 is for larger gaps, not a close fit.

Thanks again,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 12:18:12 AM »
Chris,
If some heat allows you to separate the parts, does some heat allow you to adjust the parts? Or does enough heat to get it to move damage the chemistry so it will no longer hold?
Alan

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 12:33:43 AM »
Hi Alan,

As you already know, I am new to using 648. The way I read the specification sheet is that heat is used only to remove the part. They then tell you how to clean up the residue. Hopefully Chris has some experience that he will share.

When I have time, I plan to experiment with wrapping the parts in paper towels and placing them in the freezer to chill them down. The "curing" time is based on temperature so maybe 10 or 15 degrees cooler will retard the "set" time.

Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 12:58:42 AM »
Thomas, most if not all Loctite products cure in the absence of air. I suspect in your case, the closer the fit, the faster it will begin to cure, since there is less air between the parts. The 648 can fill up to .006". My thought is that closer fits, which I assume you had will cure faster...it could be the specs are based on maximum clearance.

Bill

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 01:34:07 AM »
Thomas, most if not all Loctite products cure in the absence of air. I suspect in your case, the closer the fit, the faster it will begin to cure, since there is less air between the parts. The 648 can fill up to .006". My thought is that closer fits, which I assume you had will cure faster...it could be the specs are based on maximum clearance.

Bill

Hey Bill,

Yes you are correct about the absence of air as per their specs, and yes on my fit. This was a 3/8" reamed hole with a piece of 3/8" brass rod...almost zero tolerance. And boy was it quick...he he. I surely was not expecting it to be that fast after looking at their chart/graph.

I just applied (20 minutes ago) some of the 680 on a loose fit brass to brass and it still has not set up. In this case there is plenty of air so it might take all night.

I did order some 603 and will give it a try.

Learn something new every day.

Later,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 01:50:42 AM »
After heating to remove it, its best to clean it up and start over, it doesn't reset again. At best it will be gritty enough to keep a screw from  loosening.

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 02:24:12 AM »
After heating to remove it, its best to clean it up and start over, it doesn't reset again. At best it will be gritty enough to keep a screw from  loosening.

Thanks Chris, I appreciate your help and this should help Alan also. Long day for me, going to close up the shop and fix a drink.

Later,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Mayhugh1

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 02:44:04 AM »
You can increase the working time by chilling the Loctite. The data sheet for 680 shows the cure time as a function of temperature. - Terry

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 03:28:32 AM »
Wot Bill said.  Run a looser fit.
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 03:36:51 AM »
You can increase the working time by chilling the Loctite. The data sheet for 680 shows the cure time as a function of temperature. - Terry
Being in Texas, is your shop air conditioned? If quite warm, Terry is right,, it could speed up the curing, just like with epoxy, and chilling it and parts will help. I've had epoxy with an hour pot life go off in minutes in a hot workshop in summer.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 07:07:56 AM »
648 is the loctite I use most of the time and time does vary depending on the fit of the parts but have not had problems using it on small cranks. When assembling cranks I bond the pin to the two throws first using the main shaft to keep things lined up and let that cure. Then you have a "U" shape that can be slid along the shaft as one so both joints can be bonded at the same time and you only need to set it for position along the shaft

One other thing to consider is what did you clean the parts with, some cleaners can actually accelerate the cure time.

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 10:20:22 AM »

Hey Terry,

Much better and easier to chill the Loctite than the parts. I will give that a test.

Thanks,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 10:25:06 AM »
Being in Texas, is your shop air conditioned? If quite warm, Terry is right,, it could speed up the curing, just like with epoxy, and chilling it and parts will help. I've had epoxy with an hour pot life go off in minutes in a hot workshop in summer.

My shop is air conditioned but I keep it at 77 degrees. This would be easy to lower the temp about an hour before I use the Loctite.

Thanks Chris
Thomas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal