Author Topic: Moving a tapped hole  (Read 1482 times)

Offline rick41

Moving a tapped hole
« on: July 17, 2017, 04:19:43 PM »
I need to move several tapped holes in an aluminum casting.  The hole size is 2-56.  I am planning to plug the existing tapped holes with threaded rod and re=drill and tap again.  The holes only need to be moved approximately 1/2 bolt diameter.  My question is:  Do I use JB Weld or some type of Loctite to secure the threaded plug?  Any thoughts on which would be better? Thanks.
Rick

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Moving a tapped hole
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 04:34:47 PM »
I am thinking JB Weld will fill the gaps more. The plug definitely need to be secured so it doesn't move as you drill the new hole!

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 04:41:44 PM »
Also try and use rod of same material so the drill doesn't follow the softer one.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 06:02:25 PM »
I normally use 638 Loctite when I have to do a repair. It has high shear strength, good gap filling properties, is oil tolerant and is high temperature resistant.

I make repair plugs with the same material as the parent.

I also normally leave it to set for 24 hours but 638 sets faster than 601, so does not really need that long but it gets it anyway.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 06:16:23 PM »
Your other alternative is to use one of these bolts - the one on the upper left should do:

:ROFL:

Offline bpudney

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 01:22:46 AM »
I had exactly this problem, four 6B.A. holes were about half a diameter "out" in an al. alloy casting.  The holes were plugged with 7075 T6 plugs, secured with JB Weld.  The holes re-drilled and tapped.  This has worked well and is almost invisible.  The epoxy was cured at a slightly higher temperature than ambient (on top of a gas fire surround), just to be sure.
Best of luck!!
cheers
Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal