Author Topic: See (REALLY see) an engine running  (Read 4485 times)

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
See (REALLY see) an engine running
« on: July 17, 2017, 03:53:21 PM »
Interesting video showing how the combustion flame actually moves around in an engine. Well, I say "engine", it's a Briggs & Stratton - so not really an "engine" so much as a point source of frustration.  :Lol:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdW1t8r8qYc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdW1t8r8qYc</a>

It's not very scientific, admittedly, one wonders though... how many model engines would successfully run with a perspex head....? Anyone got a 4000fps slow-mo camera kicking about?  :whoohoo:
Cheers,
Ade
--
I'm just a poor old man. I have no time for law-breakers. My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: See (REALLY see) an engine running
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 04:40:17 PM »
That's cool!  Thanks for sharing that one!

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 04:58:47 PM »
Hello Ade

For some reason the link does not show on my PC        Win XP and IE

Can you please attach the link address as text,  so that I can view this interesting bit of engine tech

Cheers

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 05:02:49 PM »
Hello Ade

For some reason the link does not show on my PC        Win XP and IE

Can you please attach the link address as text,  so that I can view this interesting bit of engine tech

Cheers

Mike

Here is the link. I put a space before the 's' so the forum would not load it as the video, copy/paste and remove the space, should be good.

http s://youtu.be/jdW1t8r8qYc

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 05:22:09 PM »
Thanks for the link.

Very interesting video, lots to learn and to understand. Interesting how the flame front spirals down the bore pushing the piston before it.

"OK Daddy your turn"

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 07:02:58 PM »
That is just waaaay too cool.
Thomas

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 07:53:05 AM »
Many many years ago, in the late 1980s I think, I was lucky enough to get a trip around what used to be Shell's research centre at Thornton, near Ellesmere Port, UK. One of the most fascinating things they had there was a single cylinder engine with a quartz(?) porthole let into the head, so the boffins could observe - via high speed cameras - the flame front inside this engine. Unlike the Briggs in the video, this one had overhead valves. I never saw the engine, just one of the videos they'd taken. I must have been about 15 at the time, it was seriously fascinating. I've still got a book somewhere which has a still shot of the quartz window, with a flame crossing it.
Cheers,
Ade
--
I'm just a poor old man. I have no time for law-breakers. My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 01:41:37 PM »
Years back, we had an IC engine used in the thermodynamics and heat transfer labs that had a quartz cylinder. Once it was running you could see the combustion throughout the cylinder chamber though the head was metal. It was interesting to see what happened as you went from a "rich" to a more lean fuel air mixture. It was very obvious that the flame became more yellow-ish with a richer mixture, and then more blue-ish as it leaned out. The students loved it, but sadly it was replaced with a better instrumented apparatus with interchangeable gasoline and diesel engines connected to a water dyno.

Bill

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 04:22:55 PM »
I wonder... with modern materials, would it be possible to construct a working IC engine from transparent plastics alone*?

OK, it might only be good for short runs, but that would be an interesting project for someone with skills (and a bunch of transparent plastics... and a machine shop...... any takers?)

* Some metal allowed obviously - bearings, bolts, that kind of thing
Cheers,
Ade
--

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 04:31:47 PM »
I recall a while back either here or one the other forum, someone doing a wobbler steam engine out of glass. Not the same as IC of course but interesting none the less.

Bill

Offline Longboy

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 07:23:02 PM »
Gives a good viewpoint on flame travel in flathead engines where flame front makes the dog leg travel horizontally from valves to vertically over piston then. No wonder OHV design was a big improvement in power production for engines.
Wadda you mean, "It don't run"???

Online Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 07:52:58 PM »
Len Mason did a similar thing years ago. Not video though.

Written up in M.E.

I think the att. refers but I don't have the mags. to verify.

Dave

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 09:25:57 PM »
very informative video, its remains to me the path of burnt gas of a 10 cm3 flathead I have built, clearly visible as an awful black deposit on the inside of the cylinder head ! very similar track.

in the site of Jan Ridders, there is a model engine with a glass cylinder you may build...
http://www.ridders.nu/Webpaginas/pagina_overzicht_verbrandingsmotoren/overzicht_frameset.htm

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal