Author Topic: Manson Engine  (Read 9941 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Manson Engine
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 12:22:16 AM »
Nice finish on those plani....well done!

Bill

Offline Plani

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 08:44:20 PM »
Yogi and Bill, thanks a lot for the kind comments  :cheers:

I the mean time I was getting really itchy wanting to know if this thing is going to work at all. And therefore the whole picture taking for the rest of the parts somehow misfired  :facepalm:... But it was straight forward turnig jobs anyways for the Flywheel and the crank. The cut off test tubes I had already, this was by the way the thing that sparked this whole build.
So assembly was pretty easy for this handful of Parts.

Aaaaaaand voila:

The little alcohol burner and the mounting board are borrowed from the old engine. This one has been thoroughly "tested" (a.k.a played with  :Lol:) by the apprentices at work. That's why there are some scars and burn marks...

Engine in action  :whoohoo::
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHV5Z21tOyQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHV5Z21tOyQ</a>

The engine started right on the first try and is running pretty consistent. Although I was hoping for a couple more rpm, I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

Plani
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:02:48 AM by Plani »

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2017, 11:32:32 PM »
Sure looks good in the video and a really cool sound.
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 01:13:53 AM »
Very nice Plani!! :ThumbsUp:  So the inner test tube is held on by the internal O-rings and the outer test tube is held in by the two O-rings in the finned part? Just want to make sure I am seeing things the right way.

Bill

Offline awJCKDup

• Central Indiana
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 03:26:42 AM »
Very nice, yes very nice indeed. Fine workmanship. Did increasing the bore and the shorter stroke, give you increased RPM'S over the first one?
Thanks for the build.

John

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 02:57:35 AM »
Very nice running motor, and it will probably run a bit faster as it gets run in. it might be worth experimenting with flywheels, i'd strat with one about the same weight, but slightly larger diameter, with the weight consentrated at the rim, and spokes or holesbetween the rim and the hub, weight in this part is not helping the motor too much, just adding weight on the bearings.
The above is just my idea of model engines, i build then fiddle around to see if I can extract a milli watt more power.
Ian S C

Offline Plani

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 07:02:21 AM »
Thank you guys for the kind comments  :cheers: its very much appreciated.

Bill, That's exactly the way it's done an this engine. There are two reasons for me to do it that way: Aluminum is expanding a lot more when heated than glass. Therefore it's better to have something flexible in between. And also the test tubes have some tolerances in roundness. The O-Rings can take care of these as well.

John, I made a really precise guesstimation (just looking at it  :Lol:) and by this the rpm have doubled. So yes, it worked out pretty well.

Ian, thank you for the input. I will look into that.

Plani

Offline yogi

• Duncannon, PA USA
    • Yogi's Workshop
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 11:25:27 PM »
Nice runner Plani! Well done!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal