Author Topic: Centec2 mill refurb  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Fortis64

Centec2 mill refurb
« on: July 15, 2017, 09:59:56 AM »
Hi there , for the past year or so I've been trying to get this mill ,it was lying outside next to my work place (broke my heart seeing there) I tried the owner umpteen time to buy it until finally last week we started negotiations . At first i though he'd be wanting a fortune for it ,but luckily for me he hadn't done his research . They just thought it was an old keyway cutter lol....

Anyways it's now sitting in my shed in bits . First thing I ordered where Timken spindle bearings (they cost more than the mill itself !!! ) So I've now stripped all the old paint and cleaned all the nasty cutting oil in readiness for the filler undercoat to be applied . This thing is almost in unused condition both leadscrews are totally unworn condition ,the ways/dovetails still have the milling and grinding marks . The on part that shows it's age is the traverse half nut . Pictures to follow ...

If anyone on here has any knowledge/owns one of these amazing little mills I'd greatly appreciate any input/advice .

Here are some images on my Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99483750@N08/albums/72157686184873186

Sean

Images of Centec 2

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
Re: Centec2 mill refurb
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 01:56:06 PM »
You're lucky. I wish I had that (and I bet others do, too).

I'm looking forward to your restoration thread and hopefully lots of pictures.

ShopShoe

Offline mikemill

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 05:03:41 PM »
Sean

See my reply on Homeworkshop.

Mike

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 10:27:10 PM »
Step 1   Take it apart and clean it....and then paint it.

You'll learn how it works, and find whatever is wrong with it

Needs a good cleaning that is for sure, but it's a good machine!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 11:52:22 PM »
Hi Sean

I once bought a 2A a long time ago, disassembled in a few assemblys. However, I never set it back together and made a replacement for the missing gib of the z-axis.
But if you need some close-up pictures or some pictures of a probably missing part, I could make you some.

I have attached a picture of my machine (also got a few accessories like a milling arbor, several disc cutters, a vice which is though not originally from centec, rather chinese)
I want to assemble the machine in the more or less distant future. I also thought about converting the cross slide to metric acme screws since I am used to the metric system. The scales are not working anymore but I actually am not so much into using such "modern" scales on this machine. Somehow I think that this does not fit really much on an old machine like this. (But thats only my personal taste!)

Cheers Florian 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal