Author Topic: Anzani 'Y' Engine  (Read 13522 times)

Online Twizseven

Re: Anzani 'Y' Engine
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2017, 09:13:59 PM »
Rod,

Unfortunately the auction has just ended.  The seller is quite close to me and I've bought bits off him before.  I could have driven over and checked them out.

Thanks for the thought.

Will keep looking.

Colin

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2017, 09:48:03 PM »
That's a shame, they were on a buy it now.  I hope somebody else from the forum didn't nip in  :o

Rod

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2017, 07:24:05 AM »
Someone got a bargain   :wallbang:

Colin I would try to pick up the standard tool holding W12 sizes first: 1/8", 1/4" 3/8" & 6mm, 8mm, 10mm

Do you have the Standard vertical support?

And is that dividing head support the right diameter to act as an overarm support for horizontal work? If so you could look to make a longer horizontal arbour and use a different thread on the end and make a second draw bar for it.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2017, 03:12:51 PM »
Jo,

No standard vertical support, but the dividing head support would work.

Yes the dividing head support arm works as the horizontal overarm support.

I have asked for the cost of the two bits you might be interested in.  Hopefuly can get them low enough for you.

Regards,

Colin

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2017, 03:58:03 PM »
So for now you only have a horizontal mill... See if you can get your mate to get a casting made of his one they are like rocking horse Doo-Das to find ::) it looks like the motor arrangement will also power a vertical head. 

So you will need two support arms one for the dividing head and another for horizontal cutting. As I mentioned Horizontal work does not usually use W12 collets you need milling arbours and there was a guy in Germany who every now and then does a batch (with the original expensive threads) and puts them on Fleabay for a reasonable price (<£30 each). But you do not need to use the Aciera drawbar you can make your own and knock up your own milling arbours much cheaper.

If you go horizontal think about using one of those supports with a bronze bush in it to support the other end of the arbour and put a nut on the outside  ;).  Also think slitting saw arbour for doing screw heads.

Jo

Online Twizseven

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2017, 05:18:09 PM »
Jo,

My mate used it as a horizontal machine for cutting gears for clocks.  He had never used it as a vertical mill.

Yes the motor support arm swings down and then will drive the spindle in vertical position.  It is designed to self align to whichever set of pulleys is in use and no matter what position the headstock is in.

I do have two of the support bars, both with the tailstocks, although only one has a centre at the moment.

I did assemble the spare dividing head main body with the spindle and its would work for vertical milling in the absence of the std. vertical support.

I will hopefully have 1 arbor threaded M14 x1 for small chucks.  I will also have a spare of the item in my third photo (round plate with 35mm spindle), so one will be used for a small milling vice and the other for the small 2.75" rotary table I have.

My mate uses the base bars from watchmakers lathes as support bars, either a flat topped one or a stepped one so can swing slightly bigger chuck etc.

Colin

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2017, 05:51:20 PM »
Sounds positive  :)

My Supplier and I were just arguing as to if you could use that bracket to convert it into vertical milling. He has also found another  :ShakeHead: two boxes of W12 collets: the challenge is to get him to sort them all out and work out what he needs and what are spares. He is off to Bristol for the next three days. If you go to the show then visit the IC Engine Builders' Group stand and ask for Eric and plead your need .....

Jo

P.S. Don't plead too much or the price might go up  :facepalm: ... tell him of the nice Anzani you are looking to build and how you need the collets to help build it. You can also say hello to Mike who provided those elbows for your Anzani ;)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 05:59:52 PM by Jo »

Online Twizseven

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2017, 06:54:27 PM »
Jo,

Bristol sounds a good idea.  I've just got a pass-out for the day.  Wife is a Dep. Dir in NHS and suddenly has to be on call so needs to be close to phone and home.

Will go and have a chat to Eric and Mike.  I think I met Eric once with you at the Midland Show 3 or 4 years ago.

I spoke to the guy who had those collets on Ebay.  They were paid for last night and posted this morning.  As you said someone had a very good buy.  I don't think he realised quite what he was selling.

Thank you,

Colin

Online Twizseven

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2017, 04:15:43 PM »
Had a good day at Bristol show.  Had a good chat to Eric and Mike, had a good look at Mikes 'W' Anzani, and met Cherry Hill (an amazing lady).

Bought more than intended, oh dear!

My mate who came down with me sourced some parts for his Hardinge lathe he had been looking for a couple of years.

Good day in all with lots of wonderful models  and tools to look at.

Will certainly go again.

Colin

Online Twizseven

« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2017, 06:08:12 PM »
Manifolds set up on jig to bore out the mounting flange side of manifold

First little bits completed.

Gave up trying to counterbore the flanges after finding out that one very tight bolt was not enough to withstand the 6mm milling cutter :facepalm:.  The resultant gouges were luckily small and filed/polished out.  Oh well live and learn.

Colin

Online Twizseven

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2017, 09:57:04 PM »
Thought I'd have a go at Jo's favourite occupation...... making studs >:D.

Making the rear studs its says they should be 4BA 3/4" long.  They are going into a 1/4" deep hole and have a plate fitted over them which is 3/32" thick.  To my mind this makes them around 3/16" too long.  Am I missing something  :headscratch: or is this a slight typo in the plans.

Colin

Online Twizseven

« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2017, 10:04:17 PM »
Previous post I said I was going to start on studs.  So I tried just using tailstock die holder and turning chuck on the Cowells ME90 by hand. :ThumbsDown:

Not a good method.  I was following Jo's treatise on stud making but quickly came to the conclusion a mandrel handle was required.  Okay so make a tool to make a bit.

Not the prettiest I'm sure but it fits and turns.

Just need time to make studs now.  Trouble is a complete rewire of daughters new house, helping plumber, gas man, plasterer and making walls is going to get in the way, plus work and a 96 year old father does not leave lots of time.

Colin

PS got the Midland Show to see in a couple of weeks, so not helping her that weekend.

PPS used to add photos using Dropbox Public Link, but since they have stopped not quite sure best way to do this.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 05:45:02 PM by Twizseven »

Online Twizseven

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2017, 03:54:05 PM »
I have setup and account on Coppermine and added a single picture to test.  It works  :whoohoo:  but what do I need to do to enable the picture to be expanded when a viewer clicks on it. Being a bit presumptuous and hoping someone might like a better look. :lolb:

Colin

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2017, 04:54:03 PM »
Colin, at what size did you upload the picture to Coppermine? I am thinking you may have uploaded a thumbnail so there is nothing to enlarge.

Bill

Online Twizseven

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2017, 05:48:25 PM »
Bill,

Thank you.  When I looked at the link I could see it said thumbnail. Now replaced link and it says Normal.  Still does not expand.  What am I missing.

Colin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal