Author Topic: Anzani 'Y' Engine  (Read 13194 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Anzani 'Y' Engine
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2017, 12:22:07 PM »
I have just found out the Chinese do W12 to ER11 collet conversions.... Why you would want to I am not sure  :headscratch:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2017, 12:31:04 PM »
I suppose if you already  have a full set of ER then it saves having to buy a full set of w12 and you can also hold sizes not covered by W12 which are size specific.

Much the same as me using an ER converter in my 5C chuck & indexer

Also really no different to people using an ER collet holder in a MT or R8 spindle when they could just use a collet direct into the spindle
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 12:40:11 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2017, 12:54:23 PM »
Using lots of Chinese adapters is a process sometimes called "the accumulation of adverse tolerances :noidea:"

It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2017, 01:16:31 PM »
Well I'm happy to accumulate Chinese machines and tooling, seems to give me engines that run so the 0.0003" TIR on the collet holder and 0.0004" on the tool can't be that much of an issue :) As the saying goes it's not what you have got, it's what you do with it :embarassed:

[youtube1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clQbKosP_Ec[/youtube1]

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2017, 01:33:17 PM »
We all use tooling made in China.  At the price they ask, who could resist.  Most of it is excellent quality but there is some rubbish out there as well.

It pays to buy from a reputable dealer (who will replace if necessary) rather than go for the cheapest deal on the net.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2017, 01:40:18 PM »
It is the loss of head room that is the problem.

It is not appropriate to compare the accuracy of a watchmaker's mill to a hobby machine: The Aciera is designed to hold accumulative tolerance across the lead screws, table, column and tooling to a greater accuracy than 0.01mm.

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2017, 01:55:44 PM »
It is the loss of head room that is the problem.

Isn't that the same for all machines? yet 100s of people use ER chucks on MT and R8 machines rather than direct collets.  99% of the time I will use the ER collet holder in my mill as its easy and versatile but when head height becomes an issue such as working on a large casting I will reach for the MT collets. Conversly I have been known to use a smaller and longer ER collet holder where I need to reach down further than I would be able to with a short tool held in the spindle with out crashing teh spindle into the work or clamps.

And if you have got large parts to machine where you are going to need the head room why do them on a watch makers machine in the first place? You would not try and machine the Mery on your sexy would you.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 02:01:37 PM by Jasonb »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2017, 02:17:08 PM »
The F1 is has a smaller working area (100mm cube) than Sexy and is overall a lighter machine. An ER11 on the Horizontal would loose the collet height off the working area. On the vertical there is a bit of leeway due to where the spindle is clamped in the bracket.

It is nice to have a small milling machine to do small work and a big milling machine to do big stuff. Especially when they are silky smooth like Swiss machine tools  :embarassed:

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2017, 03:12:37 PM »
Well that started an interesting discussion.  Until I can locate a suitable selection of W12 collets I think the idea of an W12 to ER11 collet adaptor sounds a good idea (a quick hit).  Those extremely lucky souls (Jo   :LittleDevil:) who have millions of everything obviously have no need.  The ER11 collets could always be used on one of my other machines.  Jo, please can you point me in the direction of said adaptor, just done a quick google but did not see/could not find and reference to them.

Jo, proper nomenclature for the following bits would be appreciated.

My colleague has spares of the item above and also the tailstock? on the support below

He is also manufacturing a couple of the item below.

Regards,

Colin

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2017, 03:22:42 PM »
Photo 1: Dividing Head main body.

Photo 2: Dividing Head Tailstock.

(Those two I could be interested in for Sexy  ;) )

Those W12 collets in France will sell for a lot more than they are currently asking  ::)

I was only allowed a set of the standard sizes that fit tooling with Sexy but he does have a few spare blank arbours. The 3/8th collet is useful as it will let you mount other stuff.

Edit: Sorry I would start with the usual Chinese tool market places and do a search. My Supplier knows they exist.

Jo
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 04:17:30 PM by Jo »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2017, 04:19:28 PM »
one on e-bay with a set of ER collets went for £90, there are a couple of results on google if you search "schaublin er16 adaptor"

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2017, 07:01:48 PM »
Jo, Jason,

Thanks for your suggestions.  I will keep looking on Ebay.

Jo,
If your interested in a Dividing head main body and tailstock I will find out the cost from my colleague.

Would your supplier part with a spare arbor or possibly two.  If so how much would they be.

Thank you.

Colin

PS machine looks a lot better for a good clean.

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2017, 07:22:22 PM »
If your interested in a Dividing head main body and tailstock I will find out the cost from my colleague.

Would your supplier part with a spare arbor or possibly two.  If so how much would they be.

I fear that the price would be far higher than I would be willing to pay: I made up my own patterns for the tilting table and they worked out as £20 a piece.

I did mention it to my supplier today and he was not enthusiastic as he has 5 Schaublin 70s which each need a full set and he does not know what he has  :facepalm: He suggested you will be paying about £12 to £15 per collet  :paranoia:

Jo
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:34:08 PM by Jo »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal