Author Topic: Anzani 'Y' Engine  (Read 13193 times)

Online Twizseven

Anzani 'Y' Engine
« on: July 14, 2017, 10:01:29 PM »
Saw a Anzani 'Y' engine (using the Les Chenery castings) advertised for sale in this months Model Engineers workshop, rang the seller yesterday, I was first caller, asked a few questions and today I collected a part completed Anzani 'Y' engine. ;D.  It came with full set of plans and all the issues of Model Engineer in which Les described the engine build.

This will take me well out of my comfort zone, lots of  :headscratch: and will be a long-term project I think.  Crankcase is machined and bearings fitted.  Cylinders fully machined and valve guides fitted, liners and pistons machined.  Rings made but need heat treatment.  Have all gears and bushes.  Crank 90 % made but has a slight bend issue  :(, (I was told about this) which I need to  see whether is resolvable or a piece of scrap.  I know its not the crankcase as a dummy crank spins freely.  This has no crank webs or big end.  It may be possible to use this as a base for a fabricated crankshaft and used pinned webs and big end.  Not sure how feasible this would be as oil feed holes are required through the first main bearing into the crank, up through the web, across the big end, down through the second web and into the second main bearing.  The pins might get in the way or weaken the crank.

Anyway I'm sure it will provide lots of fun and games over the next years or so, plus lots of bad language as I cock things up and lots of bits  :toilet_claw:

I was also able to pick up a number of small straight and taper reamers, D bits, long drills, small counterbores, chunk of Dural, a number of lengths of silver steel, all the jigs, mandrels and tools used to make the engine so far.  I was also give the first 29 issues of Model Engine Builder and some issues of Strictly IC.  So lots of reading matter as well.

I know Jo has the castings for this, I'm hoping others on here may have made this engine as I'm sure I will have lots of questions.

Colin

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
Re: Anzani 'Y' Engine
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 05:57:27 AM »
Colin,
That sounds like a good catch. Should be a fun engine to build. Good luck and keep us informed on how it progresses.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 07:07:06 AM »
 :pics:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 08:52:02 PM »
Jo asked for pictures, so here are a few:

Ouside view of front and rear of crankcase

Inside views of crankcase halves

Cylinder-Plug Side

Cylinder Top

Inside Cylinder

Cylinder Liner Piston

Crankcase-headbolts Cyinder/Liners/Piston

Crankcase-Cylinders assembled

Crankshaft and Dummy Crankshaft

All gears and Potchucks for machining

The crankshaft has a slight bend and the dummy shaft had been made to check bearing alignment (which was Ok).  Hoping against hope the crank might straighten.

This is going to be a long job.  Lots of fun and swearing I'm sure.

Colin

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 09:50:47 PM »
Great looking engine and I hope you keep us updated as the build progresses.
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 12:42:55 AM »
Looks like a great project Colin, however long it takes!!   :popcorn:

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 07:33:01 AM »
They look nice  :naughty:. And you have the joys of making the piston rods still to go  :whoohoo:

Jo

Online Twizseven

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 10:08:48 AM »
Jo,

I think its the replacement crank that frightens me the most.  Unless I could do a built up one with the test crank.  But I think the pins cold be weakened by the oil feed holes running through the webs and big end.

Bill,
The popcorn will have gone off by the time I finish this.

Colin

Offline mikecole7

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 10:15:45 AM »
That's a very good start Colin. The Con-rods are not too difficult you will need to make the jig to machine the big ends, there is another way but I used the jig.

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 10:43:19 AM »

Some good looking Anzani parts there. Colin you have a very good starting point. I would attempt to try and straighten the crank in the lathe, mount one shaft in the staitionary chuck and press the high side of the other end with the cross slide to try and straighten it. You may get lucky, you cannot make it worse.

Mike, Can you tell me what grade/ specification material you used for the main and big end bearings?

Cheers

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 11:18:37 AM »
Before you ask Colin: Yes there are a number of cylinder designs for the model:

Les did one piece castings for the cylinders for his engine.

The second cylinder design is a steel assembly, which involves some silver soldering, a separate cylinder/head which screw together and are based on a design that B Fairey did.

Mike's may be a third design  :noidea:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 11:48:42 AM »
And if the lathe method of crank straightening does not works there are other ways ;)

Offline mikecole7

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 11:55:27 AM »
Jo
    Colin's cylinders are the original design by Les,which have a steel liner and a cast aluminum outer sleeve, your one piece design is made from steel and prefabricated and  came from Canada and my one piece cylinders are as per Anzani made of cast iron, the Anzani cylinders were cast and mine are machined from solid.

Mike
       The bronze bearings are made from Gunmetal LG2, they don't take much weight as there are ball races next to them.

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 04:09:28 PM »
Mike, Thanks for the info

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 05:10:18 PM »
Jo
    Colin's cylinders are the original design by Les,which have a steel liner and a cast aluminum outer sleeve,

I knew that  ::).

Fairey's is a two piece design with separate head and cylinder (which is combined with the liner).  Which allows for ease of honing but I suspect challenges with alignment  :thinking:

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal