Author Topic: Help requested--need replacement for Photobucket  (Read 7498 times)

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
Re: Help requested--need replacement for Photobucket
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2017, 10:24:19 AM »
Sorted now, all my images for my posts on this forum moved to Imgur and all my posts edited to connect to them

Stuff Photobucket!!

Pete
?To achieve anything in this game, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.? - Stirling Moss

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2017, 03:33:58 PM »
Just signed up to Imgur.  It seems superfast and will be my new "cloud photoalbum".  Thanks for the tip

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2017, 04:16:19 PM »
I'm a little worried about you guys using Imgur.  Have you guys read their terms?  It says this in there:

... Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network. If you do – and we will be the judge – or if you do anything illegal, in addition to any other legal rights we may have, we will ban you along with the site you're hotlinking from, delete all your images, report you to the authorities if necessary, and prevent you from viewing any images hosted on Imgur.com. We mean it.

While it may not happen now, it has the potential of happening, just like it did with PhotoBucket.  I worry you'll be in the same place again.

Why not consider using the excellent image hosting that Ade has provided?
Kim

Offline Lance

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2017, 01:25:59 AM »
No one has mentioned One Drive.  5 gigs free. You can set permissions on what you want to share or keep private. Works seamlessly with windows . Generates the url to share. I use it because I have a windows phone and my photos automatically upload, but it is a viable FREE option for all of us.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2017, 03:49:00 AM »
Hi,
I am about fit to be tied.  :Mad: :cussing: I have tried coppermine, and when I click download it loads stuff but no obvious way to use it or even load it to use. just a bunch of gibberish files. Registered on use.com and now imagur both allow me to load the photo but no usable link to MEM. The best I got was on use.com one link gave a link to click on that took you to use.com. Does anyone have any help, am I doing something wrong. Did I get used to PB & can't figure anything else out?
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2017, 05:26:17 AM »
Hi Art,

You should be able to get the links from Coppermine by using the Right Click menu.  In Chrome, the exact name of the selection is "Copy image address". In Internet Explorer the menu item is simply called "Copy".

The steps you'd use are:
  • Upload your image to Coppermine
  • Hover over the picture you want to use
  • 'Right click' and select the option to copy the image address
  • Then Paste that URL into your post between thw [ img] [ /img] tags like usual

The link that you paste from Coppermine should look like one of these:
http://lister-engine.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10008/thumb_039a-Crank-02-DSC_3076.JPG    - Thumbnail sized version
http://lister-engine.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10008/normal_039a-Crank-02-DSC_3076.JPG   - Medium sized version
http://lister-engine.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10008/039a-Crank-02-DSC_3076.JPG                 - Full sized version

Of course, the number and picture name will be different, but the first part of the URL should be the same (up through userpics at least).  Youll notice the "thumb_" and "normal_" prefix on the picture name above?  If you want to link to the full sized picture you uploaded (hopefully something in the 800x600 range in size) you can just delete the "thumb_" or 'normal_" part of the link.  Otherwise you'll get the Thumbnail image (really small), or the slightly bigger version (called normal) but still not the exact size you uploaded.

Give it a try and see if it works for you.
Kim
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 05:29:25 AM by Kim »

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2017, 04:32:59 AM »
Kim,
Sorry you misunderstood me, or I was not clear. When I go to the coppermine.sourceforge.net website I download a zip file titled, cpg1.5.46zip. Which when I double click on it opens cpg15x and double clicking on that gives me an index with files starting with, albums then bridge, about 20 or so .php files interspersed with .txt files ending with zipdownload.php nothing is installed.  needless to say I didn't get far in the tutorial cause I had to start over every time I left it. I use SeaMonkey as my browser but Chrome or IE don't make any difference. If I could even get to the point where your explanation starts I'm sure it would be self explanatory. Am I downloading the wrong file? If so what should It be titled. I never had so much trouble and can usually figure it out but this defies logic.
On use.com this is the best I can accomplish.[/URL]
[/CENTER]
[/img]
Don't even get me started on the tutorial for internet explorer that you cant pause while you try to figure out how to do something in a program I don't use.
This is the only way I can get it to point to any image. What the :cussing: am I doing wrong. :)
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2017, 05:17:57 AM »
Kim,
Sorry you misunderstood me, or I was not clear. When I go to the coppermine.sourceforge.net website I download a zip file titled, cpg1.5.46zip. Which when I double click on it opens cpg15x and double clicking on that gives me an index with files starting with, albums then bridge, about 20 or so .php files interspersed with .txt files ending with zipdownload.php nothing is installed.  needless to say I didn't get far in the tutorial cause I had to start over every time I left it. I use SeaMonkey as my browser but Chrome or IE don't make any difference. If I could even get to the point where your explanation starts I'm sure it would be self explanatory. Am I downloading the wrong file? If so what should It be titled. I never had so much trouble and can usually figure it out but this defies logic.
On use.com this is the best I can accomplish.[/URL]
[/CENTER]
[/img]
Don't even get me started on the tutorial for internet explorer that you cant pause while you try to figure out how to do something in a program I don't use.
This is the only way I can get it to point to any image. What the :cussing: am I doing wrong. :)
Art

Art............here's the Coppermine link that we're using: http://lister-engine.com/coppermine/index.php

That's the site that Kim is referring to with his explanation.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2017, 05:40:10 AM »
Yes, Art, you're right!  I completely mis-understood your issue!

Jim is correct.  I was refering to the Coppermine server that Ade has already setup.  You don't need to download any software, or install anything.  Just go to the link that Jim provided.

Actually, you should make sure and read the original post from Ade on this: http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,7249.0.html

He gives the link, and provides instructions on how to get the password (PM him, or one of the other admins and they'll send it to you). Then you can setup an account on the image server.

After that, you can setup a gallery, upload your photos (you'll need flash installed to use the bulk uploader - and its well worth doing that!), THEN you can follow the instructions I was giving.

I can see the confusion here if you haven't seen Ade's original email!  :-\

Hope you can make it work!  I have found it to be a rock solid system so far (and I've uploaded quite a few photos!)
Kim

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2017, 12:27:13 PM »
Jim & Kim,
Thanks I probably have seen that post but didn't recognize it for what it was. I'll try that when I get home from work.
Art

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal