Author Topic: Help requested--need replacement for Photobucket  (Read 7499 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Help requested--need replacement for Photobucket
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 02:49:33 PM »
It is not affecting all users at the moment but no doubt will over time.

I'm not 100% sure how PB monitor your use but reading something earlier it may be that if you copy the IMG tab to get your link it will pick that up. If you copy the direct link and use the forum to give the IMG and paste your link between the two it may not register the use.
PB (or any service provider can see the traffic that comes from their servers, and they can tell where the request came from.  If it didn't come from their server, then they know it is a 3rd party.  So the look at who's picture it is and say "these guys are using us for 3rd party hosting.  We don't like that because we don't get any ad revenue from them and it still costs us money for the servers."  So they shut us all down unless we give them money (presumably to make up for the lost ad revenue).

So, why are you guys NOT interested in using the hosting method that Ade has provided?  It works quite well and is very fast.  And you have been assured that you maintain the rights to your own images.

To me, the arguments for it is that the photos are likely to stay around as long as the forum.  And any other choice you make will be subject to the whims of the company providing the service.  I would be especially worried about it if its free.

I'm just curious.
Thanks,
Kim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 02:59:32 PM »
I completely agree Kim, just because it's free now is no guarantee that it will be in the future.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 03:04:46 PM »
Kim, I have just not had time to check out Ade's service, I do plan to do so soon though. I doubt I'll go back and switch over all my past posts to it, I had converted everything to postimage just as his posts came out, and that was enough for a while.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 03:10:22 PM »
So, why are you guys NOT interested in using the hosting method that Ade has provided?  It works quite well and is very fast.  And you have been assured that you maintain the rights to your own images.

As I use my images on several forums I would either have to load them onto each one or feel guilty about using someone elses space to host what I'm using on other forums which would happen if I copied and pasted a post made here onto another forum as I do now.

I'll also use an old image from a build thread to illustrate something about a method elsewhere, having to hunt around several forums to locate that image would not be ideal. Prefer to have them all in one place and all automatically resized as I upload them to that place.

J

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 12:02:41 AM »
As I use my images on several forums I would either have to load them onto each one or feel guilty about using someone elses space to host what I'm using on other forums which would happen if I copied and pasted a post made here onto another forum as I do now.

Jason,

Our host allows us 3 terabytes (3,000GB) of free transfer a month at the current hosting level.  So far this month, we've used 52GB (that includes other stuff, not just MEM). I really don't have a problem with you using the LEF Coppermine gallery & putting your pictures in other forums - even HMEM if you want.

Cheers!
Ade.
Cheers,
Ade
--
I'm just a poor old man. I have no time for law-breakers. My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 12:49:54 AM »

Jason,

Our host allows us 3 terabytes (3,000GB) of free transfer a month at the current hosting level.  So far this month, we've used 52GB (that includes other stuff, not just MEM). I really don't have a problem with you using the LEF Coppermine gallery & putting your pictures in other forums - even HMEM if you want.

Cheers!
Ade.

Wow, very generous of you Ade!

Thank you!
Dave

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2017, 02:46:29 AM »
from what I understand about Postimage, if you pay for your site, the photos stay untouched for ever, the free site, if your photos are not used within 6 months they will be dropped (so look in every now and then, and maybe post on more than one site.
I don't have a problem with free PB at the moment as I only have about 20 photos up to go on another site, and my photos are still there (touch wood).
Ian S C

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2017, 08:03:14 AM »
Thanks Ade, it's one to think about for new builds, won't rush into anything as I'm good until 2019 on PB.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2017, 03:28:33 PM »
from what I understand about Postimage, if you pay for your site, the photos stay untouched for ever, the free site, if your photos are not used within 6 months they will be dropped (so look in every now and then, and maybe post on more than one site.
I don't have a problem with free PB at the moment as I only have about 20 photos up to go on another site, and my photos are still there (touch wood).
Ian S C
Hi Ian,

I dont think that is correct. Postimage is a free service, there is no paid version of it, and the images dont go away based on inactivity. Here is a snippet from their FAQ:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
How long will images remain on the server?

You can upload unlimited images per post and you will never have to worry about your images being removed due to inactivity.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This is assuming there is not more than one Postimage - I am using www.Postimage.org website.

Chris

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2017, 05:15:15 PM »
After saying a couple of days ago I was having no probs with PB I've now had an email saying they will discontinue host my images for 3rd party users unless I subscribe, I'd happily pay a small fee but to host a handful of new images each month I can't justify paying a lot   :(

Does anyone know if my old images will be affected or just new ones ?

Looks like the way forward is to try Coppermine  :)

Peter.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 05:18:16 PM by Gas_mantle »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2017, 05:26:06 PM »
After saying a couple of days ago I was having no probs with PB I've now had an email saying they will discontinue host my images for 3rd party users unless I subscribe, I'd happily pay a small fee but to host a handful of new images each month I can't justify paying a lot   :(

Does anyone know if my old images will be affected or just new ones ?

Looks like the way forward is to try Coppermine  :)

Peter.
It will be all of them, old and new.  :Mad:
I never even got the email!   :cussing:

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2017, 11:31:44 PM »
I've copied my pictures from Photobucket to Imgur. However, I can't edit my existing posts to update the links to the images.

Admins/Moderators is allowing users to edit their own posts something that can be enabled?

Pete
?To achieve anything in this game, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.? - Stirling Moss

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2017, 12:01:49 AM »
You should be able to, try the little paper/pen icon in lower right of the post?

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2017, 12:37:28 AM »
Or use the "Modify" link in the top right of your post.  Either one will let you edit your post.  But the upper one (labeled Modify) gives you the "Preview" option.  The icon only link at the bottom right lets you modify your post in place, but it doesn't give you the "Preview" option.

Kim

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2017, 05:46:34 AM »
Thanks Kim

The icon isn't there when you show your own posts, which I was using to see which of my posts needed amending. However, if the thread is opened the icon is there. When I get some time I'll look at doing the updates

Pete
?To achieve anything in this game, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.? - Stirling Moss

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal