Author Topic: Travis Steam Engine No.4  (Read 17434 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Travis Steam Engine No.4
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2017, 01:47:45 AM »
If they are 2D drawings, Draftsight (free from the solidworks folks) will open AutoCad files. AutoCAD imho has priced themselves out of the hobbyist market.

Bill

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2017, 02:01:49 AM »
If they are 2D drawings, Draftsight (free from the solidworks folks) will open AutoCad files. AutoCAD imho has priced themselves out of the hobbyist market.

Bill

Hey Bill,

Does it just open the file so you can view it or will it allow you to actually work the drawing?

Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2017, 02:23:08 AM »
You can work with it as well Thomas. The user interface is almost identical to AutoCAD LT, which I had used for years.

Bill

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2017, 02:41:25 AM »
You can work with it as well Thomas. The user interface is almost identical to AutoCAD LT, which I had used for years.

Bill

Hello again Bill,

This sure would make it easy to email a drawing without dimensions, and they could add them as needed.

Thank you,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2017, 10:57:40 AM »
Thomas, I have sent you an email.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2017, 12:15:08 PM »

Bill

Hello again Bill,

This sure would make it easy to email a drawing without dimensions, and they could add them as needed.

Thank you,
Thomas

Yes but to what end...the point of drawings to begin with is "dimensions" ?

« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2017, 12:44:53 PM »

Bill

Hello again Bill,

Thank you,
Thomas

Yes but to what end...the point of drawings to begin with is "dimensions" ?

Hey Bill,

What I meant was that they could save the file ( like I do ) and add any dimension they wanted, to see/use at any time. When I print out a drawing to use at the machine, I only add the dimensions that I will be working with at that time. Rather than clutter up the drawing with all the dimensions.

Seems that this point is mute anyway, because the Folder with all the drawings will be too large to send via email. I have decided to go ahead and update/correct all my drawings for this engine and make a complete set of printed plans that I will make available for free ( excluding copy and mailing cost) to anyone. I'm not sure how long this will take but will make a post when they are ready.

Thanks again for you help,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2017, 12:47:19 PM »
Thomas, I have sent you an email.

Tom

Good morning Tom,

Got it OK and sent you a reply.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2017, 10:59:01 PM »
How large is the drawing file? The one I did for the half scale pearl engine including around 45 paper space tabs (one for each drawing sheet) is less than 1Mb in size, 885 kb to be exact, smaller than many single picture files.

Bill

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2017, 12:14:50 AM »
How large is the drawing file? The one I did for the half scale pearl engine including around 45 paper space tabs (one for each drawing sheet) is less than 1Mb in size, 885 kb to be exact, smaller than many single picture files.

Bill
l

Hi Bill,

The original folder is 4.55 MB but that included all drawings including several re-draws and several individual drawings that I used for machining. I tried to email it to my office computer and my service provider here at my home gave me a message that the file was too large. I am not on a phone line here at my home. I have AT&T wireless and it could be just my local internet service.

I am in the process of "cleaning" up the folder and have spent most of the day preparing drawings that will become a "set" that I will have printed out. I am thinking about making them available in two different sizes, one 8-1/2 x 11 in letter size and a second in 11 x 17 size. I print most of my own drawings on the 11 x 17 because they are so much easier for these old eyes to read.

Got two coats of primer and one thin coat of paint on the engine today....same colors that I had on an old Indian motorcycle when I was much younger....

Thanks,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2017, 12:29:47 AM »
You might also consider saving each drawing as a .PDF file in either or both size formats. These could then be emailed and printed out by the user. Much easier than doing all the copying yourself. As I recall Jerry Howell's family supplies his plans that way now via online transfer. Most cad programs will save to .PDF files. Just another idea to consider..

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2017, 12:49:14 AM »
Recently I have been sending some very large 3D PDF files and use this free service. https://www.sendthisfile.com/
It is really easy to use, after uploading your file and sending it, the recipient gets an email notice with a link that allows them to download the large file to their computer.

Nice work on your engine Thomas.

Dave

« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2017, 12:59:37 AM »
You might also consider saving each drawing as a .PDF file in either or both size formats. These could then be emailed and printed out by the user. Much easier than doing all the copying yourself. As I recall Jerry Howell's family supplies his plans that way now via online transfer. Most cad programs will save to .PDF files. Just another idea to consider..

Bill

Hey again,

I have never tried saving any of my drawings in .pdf, I will see if I can do that with my AutoCAD. Thanks Bill.

Thomas

« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2017, 01:03:00 AM »
Recently I have been sending some very large 3D PDF files and use this free service. https://www.sendthisfile.com/
It is really easy to use, after uploading your file and sending it, the recipient gets an email notice with a link that allows them to download the large file to their computer.

Nice work on your engine Thomas.

Dave

Dave, I will check that link out and try sending a test folder. Thanks for the this information.

Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2017, 03:39:35 PM »

Bill

Hey again Bill,

I just got off the phone with my print shop and they can covert all my drawings into the .pdf format. It will be sometime next week but I will figure out how to make them available via email and will post that information.

I have consolidated all of the original drawing from the 30-plus down to a total of 16 pages plus one cover page. This includes the options on building some of the parts.

Thanks Bill and everyone for you interest,
Thomas
Thomas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal