Author Topic: Travis Steam Engine No.4  (Read 17479 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: Travis Steam Engine No.4
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2017, 12:09:22 PM »
Good morning everyone,

I made a short video of the completed engine now mounted and tuned up. I recorded (or gave it my best shot) the chug-chug-chug from the exhaust stack while running at 2-psi. I am really pleased how this project has turned out, it has been a fun build.

Have a great day,

Video link:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7YcN7qZc0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7YcN7qZc0</a>
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2017, 01:25:59 PM »
Very nice indeed Thomas! The sound is great too. Remember to post it also in the showcase section.

Bill

« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2017, 03:49:16 PM »
Very nice indeed Thomas! The sound is great too. Remember to post it also in the showcase section.

Bill

Thank you Bill for your support. I got the camera too close to the stack at one point to get a correct sound. Sure wish I had a remote microphone to be able to record sound and keep the camera at a "viewable" distance.

Again thank you,
Thomas

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2017, 04:28:09 PM »
Thomas,

Thank You for showing your latest engine.  I like it and I agree the sound is great. It's just chugging away doing its job.

ShopShoe

« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2017, 04:47:26 PM »
Thomas,

Thank You for showing your latest engine.  I like it and I agree the sound is great. It's just chugging away doing its job.

ShopShoe

Thank you for the good words. I love the sound and wish I could include it on each video of a running engine. As a young man I worked on an old Tugboat which had a 3-cylinder diesel for the main and a single diesel for the generator. I loved to stand outside on the upper deck as we plowed our way up and down the Intercostal and listen to the stacks. Both engines would harmonize every once in a while and it would send chills over my body.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2017, 04:18:01 PM »
Hello to all,

OK I created a small website to be able to upload the Free Plans in a .pdf format. I was able to upload a file today and it is available now at the link below. I created the drawings in a 11x17 size so the .pdf can be printed out on any size paper up to 11x17. There are 17 pages of drawings and 1 page letter/information. If you need any more information please let me know.

Adding to this thread 11/26/2019; the link that I had originally posted on here has been deleted by Google???? So I have up loaded the first 8 pages in a pdf format of the free plans on Reply #81 and the next 8 on reply #82 and the cover page letter on reply #83

Thanks,
Thomas
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 06:44:50 PM by Ye-Ole Steam Dude »
Thomas

« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2017, 02:43:53 PM »
Hello everyone,

Several people that have downloaded the drawings for the engine have contacted me about the Valve Timing. I did not feel like I could properly answer in writing so I made this short video to explain. If anybody has any questions please send me an email.

Thanks I appreciate your interest,
Thomas
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nVZL2cCNHo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nVZL2cCNHo</a>
Thomas

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2017, 06:54:59 PM »
Thanks for the links, Thomas, will bookmark them for when my skills reach that level.

« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2017, 08:21:58 PM »
Thanks for the links, Thomas, will bookmark them for when my skills reach that level.

From what I have seen of your work so far, you are there. If I can build this thing, then anybody can.

Thomas
Thomas

Offline bent

« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2017, 11:23:39 PM »
Dunno, would have to get "good" at silver slobbering...maybe I'd do it with the tig welder instead, just to one-up y'all. :Jester:  In reality, it would just put a new definition out there for "how to distort a crankshaft"  :lolb:

Seriously, was glad to take a look at your website, there are some neat ideas there, as well as the pictures of the painted-up version of your latest.  At first glance, I wasn't too sure about the color scheme, but after a bit it sorta grows on you.  And that sound at low rpm, I think you nailed it when you called it "just chugging along, goin' up-river".  Now you just need a boat, and a stand-in for Ms. Hepburn.

« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2017, 11:53:04 PM »
Hi Bent,

The crankshaft that is in the engine now is not silver solder. I made a second crank using Loctite 648, then drilled and pinned each throw-shaft-journal. I received some great help of "how to" here on MEM for this procedure.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2017, 06:37:34 PM »
Hey everybody,

Received the new larger and much heavier brass flywheel in today and chucked it up in the lathe. Machined it down to a nice finish and bored a temporary 1/4" hole to fit on the crankshaft. I will add a extension on the hub later on but I was anxious to see how this was going to work, and here is the result. :cartwheel: :cheers: I surely am pleased with this little engine.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D32v3GIkaMM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D32v3GIkaMM</a>
Thomas

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2017, 06:41:31 PM »
Nice work Thomas.  I like the slow runners :ThumbsUp:

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2017, 06:46:28 PM »
Nice work Thomas.  I like the slow runners :ThumbsUp:

Cheers,
Phil

Thanks Phil, this is what I was hoping for with this design. It might run slower after it gets completely broken in.

Thomas
Thomas

Offline bent

« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2017, 06:36:21 PM »
Sweet!  :ThumbsUp:  Love your narration, Thomas, and that is one sweet running engine.  Sounds like it's time for a shot of your best bourbon.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal