Author Topic: Travis Steam Engine No.4  (Read 17150 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Travis Steam Engine No.4
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2017, 10:11:15 PM »
Very nice Thomas. And now the inevitable question...what's up your sleeve for the next project?  :D

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2017, 10:29:35 PM »
Running nice! Excellent job!

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2017, 10:36:47 PM »
That's a nice engine Thomas.  Well done.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2017, 11:01:17 PM »
Very nice Thomas. And now the inevitable question...what's up your sleeve for the next project?  :D

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for all you help, and thanks for the kind words. Well I'm not for sure, working on a 4-cylinder steam engine design and I have ordered some IC plans, just have not decided at this time.

Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2017, 11:02:31 PM »
Running nice! Excellent job!

Hello Chris, also want to thank you for your help, it is so much appreciated.
Thomas

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2017, 11:03:56 PM »
That's a nice engine Thomas.  Well done.

-Bob

Hi Bob,

Thank you, sure was an interesting build and a lot of fun.

Thomas
Thomas

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2017, 05:55:41 PM »
Sweet engine, Thomas, that is some fine craftsmanship! :praise2:

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2017, 06:58:39 PM »
Sweet engine, Thomas, that is some fine craftsmanship! :praise2:

Thank you Bent, I ran it some more today and it really has "loosened" up a lot. I had cleaned the center post bearing area and applied more white grease and that helped a bunch. I plan to make a split bronze bushing and install it in the center post during the rebuild.

Thanks again,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2017, 07:31:08 PM »
Thomas, I have been following along quietly and enjoying it all. It really does have that "engine room " look and is a super sweet runner. I think you're paint scheme should portray that; just my opinion. May I also say, that being from the only other state that starts with "T" , I really enjoyed the accent on the video  8) :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Cletus

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2017, 08:59:27 PM »
Thomas, I have been following along quietly and enjoying it all. It really does have that "engine room " look and is a super sweet runner. I think you're paint scheme should portray that; just my opinion. May I also say, that being from the only other state that starts with "T" , I really enjoyed the accent on the video  8) :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Cletus

Hey Cletus,

Thank you for the nice remarks, and I agree that it should have that "certain" look you would expect from a marine engine. Being an ole retired ship designer I have a love for the engine room. I am looking at various color combinations now.

And bye the way, my Father was born on Pea Ridge just out of Murfreesboro. They did not even have a road in there until the mid 50's. He served on a Liberty ship as an Olier-Wiper and I still have his Seamans Papers.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2017, 10:03:19 PM »
Well now if that don't just go to show you how small this forum makes the old world, don't it now  8)

Cletus

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2017, 10:51:07 PM »
That is one sweet running engine. Built quick and runs like a charm. I have to ask ... are you going to sell the plan?

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2017, 12:13:00 AM »
That is one sweet running engine. Built quick and runs like a charm. I have to ask ... are you going to sell the plan?

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the positive comments. I have not thought about selling the plans. I drew all this in AutoCad and have made a lot of changes during the actual construction, so in that respect I really do not have a complete “set” of plans. My drawings are more like a prototype drawing rather than a construction set of drawings. I do not show all the required details and specifications. I know in my mind what material a piece will be made out of, but that is not shown on the drawings.

However I would be pleased to share this design and see others build their own version of this engine. Send me a PM and lets see if we can somehow get you a copy. If you have AutoCad (or any other equal design software that can read a dwg. or a dxf. format) please let me know, that would make it a lot easier. I just looked in my design computer and I have over 30 dwg drawings on this engine, most likely some have been eliminated due to changes.

Thanks again for you interest,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2017, 01:16:02 AM »
Thomas,
That's a very nice looking and running engine.  If you ever do intend to sell or make available plans I would be very interested.  BTW, I've had my share of Loctite failures under much less strain than your crankshaft probably experienced.  I'm glad to see you got past that bump in the road

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2017, 01:40:11 AM »
Thomas,
That's a very nice looking and running engine.  If you ever do intend to sell or make available plans I would be very interested.  BTW, I've had my share of Loctite failures under much less strain than your crankshaft probably experienced.  I'm glad to see you got past that bump in the road

Cheers,
Phil

Hi Phil and thank you. I guess I could take the time to "complete" the drawings to the point that an engine could be built from them. Do you have AutoCAD software? Send me a PM and I will contact you direct if I put a set of plans together for Tom.

Thanks again,
Thomas
Thomas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal