Author Topic: Travis Steam Engine No.4  (Read 17160 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: Travis Steam Engine No.4
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 08:38:46 PM »
little more progress today in the shop working on the Crankshaft. Got started on this a week or so ago and finally completed it today (almost), still have some clean up, filing and polishing to do.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zO9xbVdHHU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zO9xbVdHHU</a>

Thomas

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 01:46:46 AM »
After viewing Steam Guy Willy's current project and couple other old engines that were painted, I have made up my mind to paint my engine. Sure do like the multi scheme. Now to decide what colors?
Thomas

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 01:58:35 AM »
I use the paint products from  Phoenix precision Paints, They also have a great booklet telling you how to do it. I also use artists Sable hair brushes, quite expensive but really soft and the hairs don't fall out. Also when you paint the matt grey undercoat it shows up all the imperfections !! so you have to refinish the parts again !! good luck with this ,and there will be lots of help on this forum if you ask.! Also red projects out and greys recede etc etc

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 02:19:52 AM »
I use the paint products from  Phoenix precision Paints, They also have a great booklet telling you how to do it. I also use artists Sable hair brushes, quite expensive but really soft and the hairs don't fall out. Also when you paint the matt grey undercoat it shows up all the imperfections !! so you have to refinish the parts again !! good luck with this ,and there will be lots of help on this forum if you ask.! Also red projects out and greys recede etc etc

Thanks Willy,

I will look up Phoenix precision Paints and I have a bunch of artist paint brushes, had forgotten all about them.

Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2017, 12:03:24 PM »
Hey again everybody,

Completed machining the piston and got them attached to the connecting rods. I got a bit distracted the last couple of day messing around with making the second crankshaft and learning more on using Loctite.

Piston video
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vncN7aQEz-s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vncN7aQEz-s</a>

Thomas

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2017, 04:29:06 PM »
I just completed a "test" assembly of the finished parts. Everything went together OK but a bit tight fit on the pistons and the crankshaft. Other than being tight I believe some break in time will work everything out.
Thomas

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2017, 04:10:18 PM »
Hi every body,

Finished working on the Valves and Rollers and got them installed in the engine. Installed all the piping for the steam and exhaust and hooked up the air for the first test run. OK, she runs great....so I start to turn on the video camera and wham, it stops hard.

Look at the attached photos and you will see the “Loctite” crankshaft failed. It twisted between the two journal throws???? I don’t trust Loctite any longer.

The only thing that I can figure that caused this, is when I band saw cut the main shaft between the throws / lobes it might have over heated that spot and the Loctite was compromised. I was very careful when I milled the “stubs” that were left after band sawing to mill one side a small amount and then move to the other side, and back and forth.

Any thoughts guys and gals?
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2017, 04:34:50 PM »
Two options Thomas, since the crankshaft is all brass, you could soft solder or silver solder the joints, or after using loctite to fixture the part, drill and pin each joint to prevent any movement. A 1/16" dowel pin should be sufficient, 1/8" if you want extra insurance.

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2017, 05:29:32 PM »
Cross pinning with the loctite is a proven method. I don't remember if you mentioned which loctite version you used? For these kinds of joints the retaining compounds like 603 are best, though the red works well too. Some are more tolerant of oils than others, if the parts weren't clean it could fail.

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2017, 06:05:28 PM »
Hi Bill and Chris,

I had made one already using silver solder but wanted to try the Loctite way. I normally do drill and pin but was trying to get away from that step, again why I tried the Loctite. After I posted here I cleaned all the parts and drilled and pined using 1/8" drill rod and Loctite. I have reinstalled the "fixed" crank and have her running now.

Chris, I used 648 originally but I switched to 680 for the repair job because it sets up a bit slower. I had cleaned all of the parts prior to assembly the first time.

I will get it tuned up and make a short video.

Thanks so much for all the help,
Thomas

Thomas

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2017, 07:29:32 PM »
So, you machined it with just the loctite holding the journals?  Wow.  That does tend to make one a believer in the stuff, if I wasn't already.  But yeah, get loctite hot and it will loosen up. 

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2017, 07:30:17 PM »
And, I'm amazed at the craftsmanship, that is a pretty neat engine coming together!

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2017, 09:25:59 PM »
So, you machined it with just the loctite holding the journals?  Wow.  That does tend to make one a believer in the stuff, if I wasn't already.  But yeah, get loctite hot and it will loosen up.

Hi Bent,

Well I guess it got a bit too hot during the cutting or milling, really don't know because this is the first time that I have used the 648 and 680.

From now own out I will drill and pin after the Loctite and then do my machining. After the repair it is now working great.

Thanks,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2017, 09:27:38 PM »
And, I'm amazed at the craftsmanship, that is a pretty neat engine coming together!

Hey again,

I meant to thank you for the kind words. I will add a video of it running next.

Thanks again,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2017, 09:33:06 PM »
Hello to all,

First off I want to thank everyone for your help during this project, sure make it nice to have all this knowledge of others sharing on this Forum.

Here is a video of Steam Engine No.4 (aka The Loctite Special) during a test run. After I get it de-bugged and more run time on it, I will take it apart, give it a good cleaning and then decide if it will get a coat of paint or just leave it as is.

Thanks again,
Thomas

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6j3XlHxmLc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6j3XlHxmLc</a>
Thomas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal