Author Topic: Travis Steam Engine No.4  (Read 17368 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Travis Steam Engine No.4
« on: July 08, 2017, 09:31:56 PM »
Hi every body,

I have just completed the drawing for another original design steam engine that I have labeled “Travis Steam Engine No.4". My plan is to start to work on it right away and I will post updates as the build progresses. Attached is a 3-view cutaway Cad drawing and specifications.

The engine specifications are:

Style: Steam Engine, Simplex, open bottom, open column
Number of cylinders: Two, aluminum with brass insert liners
Bore: 1-inch
Stroke: .875 - inch
Pistons: Aluminum, with 3 oil grooves, machined from round bar
Connecting Rods: aluminum, machined from flat bar
Valves: One per cylinder, machined from 1/4" brass round rod, double opening, spring loaded
Valve Chambers: One per cylinder, vertical, single 1/4" bore, machined from aluminum flat bar
Cam: Brass 2, eccentric lobes, mounted on crankshaft, adjustable timing
Head: Aluminum with internal steam and exhaust portals, machined from flat bar
Bottom Plate: Aluminum, machined from flat bar
Crankshaft: Brass, 180 degree offset each journal, mounted on s/s ball bearings
End Plates and Base: Aluminum flat bar, machined to shape
Flywheel: Cast brass modified with a longer center hub.
Steam and Exhaust plumbing: brass pipe and fittings
Hardware: stainless
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Travis Steam Engine No.4
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 09:40:00 PM »
Will be looking forward to seeing it progress.

Bill

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 09:59:04 AM »
I love starting a new project and getting some metal shaving into the chip tray. This is the first time that I have actually machined a part before completing all of the design drawings.

I am attaching photos of the Cylinders being turned from aluminum round bar in the lathe. They are now ready to go to the Mill to be bored out to accept the brass liners. I will also drill the bolt pattern top and bottom.
Thomas

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 01:40:59 PM »
Hello again,

Was able to spend a good day in the shop and get all the machining completed on the Head for the new engine. Made a few minor changes from the original drawing but very satisfied with the results. I have uploaded a short video to my Youtube channel.

Thomas

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 09:33:28 PM »
Started on the Bottom Plate (the plate under the Cylinders) and got all done except for some drilling and tapping.

1) Transferring the head bolt pattern to the Bottom Plate
2) Milling and boring work completed
3) Head, Cylinders and Bottom Plate
Thomas

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 06:02:24 AM »
Very interesting engine, Thomas.  Do you plan to cast the flywheel yourself, or do you have an outside source?

Looking forward to watching this one progress.

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 10:21:50 AM »
Very interesting engine, Thomas.  Do you plan to cast the flywheel yourself, or do you have an outside source?

Looking forward to watching this one progress.

Hi Bent,

I purchased a cast brass flywheel and modified it by installing a longer center hub. I like the set screw to mate up 90 degrees to the crankshaft, it seems to hold better. I am attaching two photos showing the completed unit.

I got started at 1:30am this morning in the shop and plan to get enough parts finished to have all of the Upper Assembly completed. I will post another video on Youtube if all goes well.
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 11:58:39 AM »
I got started at 1:30am this morning in the shop and plan to get enough parts finished to have all of the Upper Assembly completed. I will post another video on Youtube if all goes well.

1:30 AM  :o Now that is dedication to one's hobby!!

Bill

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 12:45:49 PM »
Hi Bill,

I would like to brag and say it is true dedication...but the truth be told, this old dog just cannot sleep late in the mornings. It is rare that I ever sleep past 2:am, so I try and make good use of my time and head for the shop.
Thomas

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 08:56:36 PM »
Things went really well in the shop this morning and got a lot completed on the new engine.  :cartwheel:

Then this afternoon I miss-cut a piece and did all the machining on it before I discovered my error. I very meticulously made a second piece identical to the first part....yep, even the mistake.  :hammerbash:

So I have shut it down for the day and will try again tomorrow. I have uploaded another video to my Youtube channel
Thomas

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 10:57:16 AM »

More time in the shop and a little bit more completed parts and it is now beginning to look like an engine.

I am attaching four more photos showing some of the work on the End Plates, Base Plate and Center Post Support.

Also a short video showing these parts and assembly.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRNte5Jr6pA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRNte5Jr6pA</a>

Thomas

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 06:54:31 PM »
Hello to everyone,

I am still away from completing the engine but I am seeking advice about whether or not to paint everything except the brass pieces. I kind of hate to cover up the machined aluminum but to me, it just does not look like an old steam engine. Looking through a lot of photos posted over the years, most steam engines are painted except for the brass, some stainless and the moving parts like the crankshaft. Hopefully in the distance future (if this thing runs) I would like to install it into an ole river boat design and the engine must match that era. Any helpful suggestions will be appreciated.

PS; if you have a photo of an engine that you think would be a good example, please add it to your reply.
Thomas

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 10:04:13 PM »
Back in the shop again today and was able to complete both connecting rods. I am attaching 3 photos and a short video.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spAqJqJPOp0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spAqJqJPOp0</a>
Thomas

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 10:47:30 PM »
Hi Thomas,

You were asking for opinions about painting. I speak as a novice, building diorama models where the engines would be in actual day to day heavy use. I do not make engines as display models. If that were the case, there would be a lot of gleaming brass and steel. But in the real world of cast iron back in the day, paint was a friend.  Even the parts that are modelled today in brass, gunmetal or bronze such as bearing housings were originally cast in iron, so they would have been painted.

Rust was the enemy - especially in wet environments.

But you are right. If the steel was an axle, or the bronze a bearing or brass an oil cup, then they remained unpainted. Even some studs and bolts that were prone to adjustment or replacement were left alone. Oil was nearby.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers...John

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 11:00:26 PM »
Thank you John,

You stated it very well, where as most of the engine materials were cast iron or forged and they needed paint not so much for the looks but for protection. Right now I am leaning toward painting all the aluminum and polishing the brass items. I have played around in AutoCAD "painting" various parts of the engine different colors. Again early thinking, but black on the lower parts and some other for the upper section. I have seen a number of old engines with a two color paint job and they looked real good.

Thanks again, I appreciate your help and opinion,
Thomas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal