Author Topic: The Elephant has left the room  (Read 33679 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
The Elephant has left the room
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2017, 08:28:45 AM »
I've sent you an Email Mike   :-X

I just went through the act of looking at the scaled up Gnome and it all works out at around whole metric sizes  8) It is only the gear spindle spacing's that will need correcting slightly if 40DP gears are used.

Jo
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 09:03:02 AM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline mikecole7

Re: The Elephant is to go
« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2017, 09:28:08 AM »
Jo
    I've used 24Tx 40Dp gears on a 1.25"spacing. I kept to Imperial all dimensions  x5 and /4. 

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: The Elephant has left the room
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2017, 12:19:40 PM »
Thanks Mike,

This morning I had a little fondle of my Clarkson Steeple engine castings  :naughty: It seems to be storing ok but I needed to think about the bevel gears for it. The drawing calls for a set of 3:1 in 32DP and two pairs of 22 tooth 48DP mitres  :headscratch: It seemed odd that they were using two different gear tooth profiles. Looking at the usual suspects for gear prices  :paranoia: I have decided that alternatives might be needed. Meccano have 38DP gears and are available in suitable ratios/sizes but are all in brass  :( so I may be cutting my own.

As I can't do much more with that so I have boxed it up and slid it away and found another set in need of a fondle  ;D

Jo

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2017, 05:37:18 PM »
Hi Jo.

Looks just like my set!!

Roland used some remarkably good paint, 17 years on they still look like new.

I wonder if anyone successfully built the Mery with the original Low tension ignition arrangement ?

Kind regards, Graham.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2017, 05:54:24 PM »
On those bevel gears I would work out what the nearest MOD size/number is and go looking on the net as there is a far greater choice of MOD than DP.

Though being governor gears they won't be getting much load or running fast so you could cut your own

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2017, 10:09:10 AM »
The nearest MOD number is not one of the cheap ones the Chinese do... Which reminds me Sexy has a couple of small MOD gear cutters  :thinking:

Fondling continues a pace, the Mery and 1895 Otto Langen have had a turn and been tucked away so I have found an airship engine to have a fondle of  ;D

Jo

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #111 on: July 13, 2017, 11:02:39 AM »

I have found an airship engine to have a fondle of  ;D

Jo

Which one ??  Engine, that is.  Thought the Zeppelin Maybach were 6-potters ??  IIRC the ones at Freidrichshaven were  ( Zepp. Museum,  well worth a loooooong look )

Dave

Just ordered new car .... gloat ... gloat .... gloat ...  :cartwheel:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2017, 11:29:28 AM »
Which one ??  Engine, that is.  Thought the Zeppelin Maybach were 6-potters ??  IIRC the ones at Freidrichshaven were  ( Zepp. Museum,  well worth a loooooong look )

The 1909 Mercedes L 4 J which is in the Mercedes-Benz Museum  :naughty:

A new car  ::) I am doing the environmentally friendly bit and sticking with my 14 year old one ;D

Jo

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #113 on: July 13, 2017, 11:48:26 AM »
Stuff 'environmentally friendly'    :cussing:

I don't recollect it being very friendly to me when I've come a gutser off my  bike ....  :(

Anyway, it's petrol CVT version ... Alas, no more warm reassuring diesel happily burbling away ...  :'(  I shall miss it.

Thinking of one last swan song to your place before it goes on Sept 1 ...

Dave

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #114 on: July 13, 2017, 04:28:30 PM »
The nearest MOD number is not one of the cheap ones the Chinese do... Which reminds me Sexy has a couple of small MOD gear cutters  :thinking:
Jo

Can you not play about with the tooth numbers to make them a common MOD size, so long as the PCD is about right they should work fine

What about this 24T 0.5 MOD which is not far off a 22T 48DP

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-5mm-Bore-24T-0-5-Modulus-Metal-Umbrella-Tooth-90-Pairing-Bevel-Gear-24-Teeth-/262649809294
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 04:44:14 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #115 on: July 13, 2017, 05:13:20 PM »

Can you not play about with the tooth numbers to make them a common MOD size, so long as the PCD is about right they should work fine

What about this 24T 0.5 MOD which is not far off a 22T 48DP

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-5mm-Bore-24T-0-5-Modulus-Metal-Umbrella-Tooth-90-Pairing-Bevel-Gear-24-Teeth-/262649809294

That looks rather brassy to me  ::)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #116 on: July 13, 2017, 05:20:48 PM »
Don't think you will find many steel ones that small. Though don't you have one of those nickle plating kits :thinking:

What about one of the far eastern MOD cutters that I got for £6 and cut your own from steel or iron using parallel depth method. That would be a nice little job for Sexy to try out his digi bits while you can lift heavy dividing heads even the 3:1 gears would be easy enough to do.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #117 on: July 13, 2017, 08:10:29 PM »
Just wondering ...?? does our Far Eastern,    equate to Near Western for our friends across the pond?? :lolb:  also i am still driving my 50 year old Morris Minor  !!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 08:14:10 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2017, 07:18:38 AM »
Three for the price of one  :whoohoo:

We are going to have to review the cylinder assembly as there are now 12 of them to make  :facepalm: The Gnome Monosoupape cylinder is so much easier with just the single valve.

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2017, 02:28:39 PM »
It is always worth a bit of casting fondling to understand an engine  ;).

The Y type and the Six Cylinder Anzani's both use a single cam to drive the exhaust valves. The firing being a function of the magneto timing which is half the speed on the Y as it is on the six. So we just swop over the 10/15 timing gears in the dummy magneto  ;D

But the W type is not as easy  :headscratch: the cylinders are at 72 degrees i.e 1/5th of the crank rotation. And we need a Da-Da-Dum which means firing A-C-B or at 0 -144 - 432 - 720 degrees. I am guessing the distributor needs to run at 1/5th the crank speed, with two lost sparks, it seems to be driven off the B cylinder camshaft on the full sized engines ...  I have sent an Email to Mr Anzani to find out how he solved this  :noidea:

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal