Author Topic: Posting In Line Photos hosted on MEM  (Read 5949 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Posting In Line Photos hosted on MEM
« on: July 02, 2017, 02:12:35 AM »
Here’s the method I’m trying out to keep my photos hosted on MEM, but still be able to embed them in line.

Again, I’m not sure if this is good, but it’s an experiment.

• Create your update as usual, and put the “[ img][/img]” tags in the places where you know you’ll want the photos.
  • Attach the photos at the bottom of the post, like you would do normally.
  • Now proof read and post your update.
At this point, all your in-line images will show up as broken links.  Like this: But well fix that next.
  • Now edit your post by clicking on the edit icons at the bottom of the post . (You have to use the one at the bottom!)*
  • In the edit window, scroll to the bottom and you’ll see your attached pictures.
  • Click on the first attachment to make it big.
  • ’other click’ on the that picture.  In Chrome, a pop-menu comes up, and one of the options is “Copy Image Address”. Choose that option. (don’t know if this works in other browsers, but I’m sure there’s a way to do the similar thing).
  • Now scroll up to the “[ img][/img]” tag where you want this picture to show up and paste the image link between the img tags.
  • If you accidentally got the link to the thumbnail all you have to do is edit the image number.  It should look something like this:
    [ img]http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5264.0;attach=67042;image[/img]
  • Note that the “attach=” number is even?  That means it’s the thumbnail.  To get the big version, just decrease it by one so that it shows “attach=67041” Of course, if you copied the link to the big image, it will already have the odd number and be pointing to the big one. You can verify this by doing Preview.

The odd/even thing might not always hold true, I don’t know.  But it did for me with the few posts I’ve done this way.

Give it a try and see what you think. Is it worth the hassle? I’m not sure it’s much more hassle than using other hosting sites – other than your post will be exposed to everyone as a NEW post while you’re still working on it.  That’s not ideal, but from the perspective of constructing the post, I’m not sure it’s much harder.

Also, I don't really like having the pictures show up twice in the post.  It kind of interrupts the narrative.  But it may grow on me.

Kim

*The Edit at the bottom of the post will show you the attachments. The "Modify" at the top of the post allows you to change your attachments, but you can't get the links to them there.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 02:27:34 AM by Kim »

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Posting In Line Photos hosted on MEM
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 02:29:26 AM »
OK, ignore the odd/even thing.  That was accidentally true, but it doesn't always hold.

The safest bet is to get the link to the image you want to show, whether its the big one or the small one.

Sorry for the extra confusion.
Kim

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 12:39:39 AM »
Thanks Kim, I'll give it a try. Or at least I will if I ever come up with something new to post!  :shrug:

I know a lot of us are using hosting sites like Photobucket (or at least used to) so I'm wondering if all of us start posting photos directly on the forum it will use too much bandwidth. Maybe someone who knows more will address that.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 12:50:06 AM »
Jim, I will let one of the admins address the storage issue. One thing that will help though is to resize pictures for posting ON the forum to no more than 800 x 600 pixels. Jo mentioned this recently in a separate thread and I have been on the same soapbox for years. We still have members that post pictures the size they were taken, sometimes 3600 x 2400 pixels. The difference in storage space is the difference between 2.4 megabytes (full size) and 1.4 kilobytes (reduced size). Given the current situation with PB, this becomes even more important.

Bill
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 12:38:30 PM by b.lindsey »

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 03:30:17 AM »
Jim, I will let one of the admins address the storage issue. One thing that will though is to resize pictures for posting ON the forum to no more than 800 x 600 pixels. Jo mentioned this recently in a separate thread and I have been on the same soapbox for years. We still have members that post pictures the size they were taken, sometimes 3600 x 2400 pixels. The difference in storage space is the difference between 2.4 megabytes (full size) and 1.4 kilobytes (reduced size). Given the current situation with PB, this becomes even more important.

Bill
Thanks Bill.

I always take my build pictures at 640 x 480, so no problems there.

Also I just saw the post from Ade, so will be going that route. Good news for sure!  :whoohoo:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 12:28:24 PM »
Hey all,

I just loaded FastStone Photo Resizer and it is very easy to use. It will allow you to resize a complete folder of photos at one time.

AdeV has the link on his posting.
Thomas

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 07:15:08 PM »
I find I can't respond to, or ask questions, in Ade's announcement about in line pictures. So let me ask here, hopefully someone authoritative will respond.

Will it be better for MEM if I store forum pics with Ade or on my own site? With Ade the threads will be protected, but his server will tend to fill up. (Although small size pictures take very little space) If I keep them they are off site and may be lost, upsetting past threads. I can do either.

To store with Ade I have to trust Ade and MEM not to use my pics for commercial purposes. This has been the philosophy of MEM but I don't think it's in any "by laws". It would ease my mind if this was the official policy of MEM and written somewhere.

Would a fund raiser to get Ade a larger hard drive for pics be appropriate?

Thanks.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 08:19:41 PM »
Hugh, if you are concerned about loss of control then I would suggest that hosting your own pictures is the best option. I understand your point but i think formal by-laws offer little if any real protection in this day.

To wit, as an example I just copied one of Chris' in line photos and saved it to my desktop. Now I can attach it below or use it in any other way as if it were my own. (sorry to use you as an example Chris).

You can always watermark your photos as Marv does for added identification as well.

Bill

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 08:21:58 PM »
Hi Hugh,

We tried to explain the philosophy of MEM back on the home page we said: http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,2.0.html

Bringing us up to date: There are five Admins across 4 continents, we equally own the forum, we each are resident in our own legal system ( this makes any legal challenges for a single commercial entity to take over the site extremely difficult  :ThumbsUp:), we are all committed to furthering the design/build and construction of model engines. All decisions relating to the forum are discussed and are voted on. The legal statement on the forum says you own the copyright, that statement means we cannot take away your copyright from you in the future . 

MEM was initially formed because other model engine sites turned commercial and we didn't like our efforts being exploited   :ShakeHead:

If you store your photos here it means that the photos will exist as long as the forum and your thread exists (which we intend on being a very  :old: long time ) if you store them elsewhere then the photos last as long as that remote storage area lasts (and you pay for that and your annual Internet address registration). If you want to post pics big pictures or to use them on multiple sites then it might be better that you host them on your own storage, but currently the cost is modest.

It never hurts to have a back up of your threads/pictures in case of computing/internet failures  :zap:

Jo

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 08:39:08 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 08:35:12 PM »
I find I can't respond to, or ask questions, in Ade's announcement about in line pictures. So let me ask here, hopefully someone authoritative will respond.

Will it be better for MEM if I store forum pics with Ade or on my own site? With Ade the threads will be protected, but his server will tend to fill up. (Although small size pictures take very little space) If I keep them they are off site and may be lost, upsetting past threads. I can do either.

To store with Ade I have to trust Ade and MEM not to use my pics for commercial purposes. This has been the philosophy of MEM but I don't think it's in any "by laws". It would ease my mind if this was the official policy of MEM and written somewhere.

Thanks.

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

To send me a private message, just click on my username next to this post, then on the Profile page that appears, just below my name click on "Send PM", that should bring up a box that looks almost exactly like the one you type a normal post in; except when you send it, it only comes to me  :whoohoo:

To answer some of your other questions/points:

Will it be better for MEM if I store forum pics with Ade or on my own site? - It doesn't' matter, they're both on the same server! Images stored on the forum are, however, guaranteed to stay with the forum for all time; images hosted in a separate gallery may end up as broken links if the gallery moves, closes, etc. At some point, we will get a dedicated virtual server for MEM & its subsidiary services alone, but the LEF gallery will stay where it is, so it should be good for many years yet.

With Ade the threads will be protected, but his server will tend to fill up. (Although small size pictures take very little space) If I keep them they are off site and may be lost, upsetting past threads. I can do either. - Never fear; MEM is under multiple ownership, and although I've not done it yet, I'll give the other admins admin access to Coppermine, so pics will be safe if I go off the rails or kark it or any other disaster scenario. Also, it's being backed up daily, so we should be safe from too much data loss in the event of any issues, or an admin going rogue, etc. As above, once we move MEM back onto a dedicated server, we'll set up a proper MEM gallery with it, so either add pictures to the forum, or host with coppermine, the choice is yours. Just don't do both, because then it uses twice as much space on the same machine!!

That's a great point, us Admins will have a conflab and I'm sure that'll be written up somewhere. Not sure where yet... In the meantime, rest assured I have no commercial designs on anyone's photos, not even my own (not the machining ones anyway... maybe if I happen to snap a super arty pic one day...)

It's kind of you to offer, at the moment I don't mind paying the hosting fees as it's only US$20/month, and I'm using the server for my own purposes. I'd like to avoid asking for money for as long as possible; this is my way of repaying the kindness and skills you all show in freely sharing your knowledge, tips, hints, and your fabulous engines. You'll notice that I, of all the admins, post extremely infrequently here - that's mainly because I hang out on MadModder (and the Lister Engine forum), and because all the engine work I'm doing is full sized, not a model to be seen. One day, I'll post up some of my engine exploits, but we'll have to have a new "1:1 scale" board for me to post in!  :Jester: In the meantime, $20/mo is a tiny price to pay, and it's not like I'm struggling to earn it.

So - enjoy! And one we get those non-commercials codified, we'll get 'em posted up somewhere.

Cheers!
Ade.

PS: I took so long to answer that 2 replies came in while I typed! We all seem to be saying the same thing anyway. And as Jo said - 5 admins were chosen because a) It's unlikely 3 of them would decide to sell out, b) A vote can never be tied, and c) if an admin moves on for any reason, the forum keeps continuity.
Cheers,
Ade
--
I'm just a poor old man. I have no time for law-breakers. My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 08:37:20 PM »

Thanks.

Hugh

Not a bad idea Hugh, I would be willing to donate to a fund to help this Forum. :praise2:
Thomas

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 08:41:14 PM »

We tried to explain the philosophy of MEM back on the home page we said: http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,2.0.html

Good grief, has it been 5 years already !? Well, very nearly.... we should have a birthday party! One rule - you have to turn your own "glass" on your lathe  :ROFL: :wine1:

I notice I wrote in that post "you've got 5 years at least" referring to the hosting costs. Well, it's a smidge more expensive, but it's still cheap. So you can have another 5 years I reckon, then I'll review it again....  :ThumbsUp:
Cheers,
Ade
--
I'm just a poor old man. I have no time for law-breakers. My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent.

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 12:04:23 AM »
Hugh, if you are concerned about loss of control then I would suggest that hosting your own pictures is the best option. I understand your point but i think formal by-laws offer little if any real protection in this day.
Bill: I'm not too worried about losing control of my pictures. Once they are on the 'net I figure that's lost. But I remember the frustration when the last forum was sold wholesale for $. If pics are stored externally one can at least move them negating the threads they support. I might worry more if I were doing amazing builds, as many of you here do, but mine are pretty pedestrian.

If you store your photos here it means that the photos will exist as long as the forum and your thread exists (which we intend on being a very  :old: long time ) if you store them elsewhere then the photos last as long as that remote storage area lasts (and you pay for that and your annual Internet address registration). If you want to post pics big pictures or to use them on multiple sites then it might be better that you host them on your own storage, but currently the cost is modest.

It never hurts to have a back up of your threads/pictures in case of computing/internet failures  :zap:
Jo: Thanks. I suspect I read that at the start but my memory has never been good. That does give the philosophy though.

That's kinda why I asked. If stored with MEM there's a better chance of the threads staying intact. The question is storage space and this seems a non-issue.

I always keep backups of my pics, but fall down keeping copies of the text. Lazy I suspect.

Thanks.

PS: I took so long to answer that 2 replies came in while I typed! We all seem to be saying the same thing anyway.
Ade: I think this is right. Nice to know everyone has the same understanding. Thanks.

I'll likely start saving pictures with MEM. It's a bit of effort doing a build log and keeping pics with it makes it more stable. I like to keep pics in line rather than at the end of a post, flows better. This new scheme will allow that.

I do trust MEM to stay true. I think many of us are ex-pats from past forums. But it is nice to hear that stated.

Thank you.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 12:33:20 AM »
I got the password from Ade and opened my account on Coppermine. Once I updated my Flash player, I was able to upload my Parsell & Weed pictures to Coppermine in bulk. They were already sized 640 x 480, so didn't have to resize them before uploading. Did a test post to preview the inserting process. Went well and I can add text between pictures.  :whoohoo:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 06:30:00 AM »
Great!  Glad to see people are starting to use the new system Ade made for us! Thanks Ade!  :cheers: :cheers:

I've started to play with it some this afternoon too.  I was trying to figure out how to do the galleries.  I've got some galleries made, but I'm trying to figure out if you can make nested galleries.  That's the way I was doing PB. I'll make it work regardless, but if there was a way to have galleries inside of galleries, that would be helpful to me at least.  Let me know if you figure out a way to do that.

Thanks,
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal